Tips for regular dependable massage

goodgenie4u

Need advise from younger seniors that go for regular massages, as to what I should do to try ensure that I get a half decent massage and not someone just going through the motions. I have a pinched nerve in my neck that affects my muscles in my arm and back. Frequent massages are better than a few intensive sessions. We will be in CM for 2 months.

Some questions begging for advice

(1) Should I go to the same place and work out an arrangement with the manager or owner

(2) Is there a level of tipping that on a return visit would consider me as a client that does not deserve as good a massage the previous time?

(3) Should I just take my chances and go to different places everytime.

We will be living in the Chiang Mai Gate vicinity and would not want more than a 5 to 7 minute walk and off peak hours when business is slow are OK

Any advice from your personal experiences

Thanks

Dennis

I am finding it dificult responding to to your questions, but do know a chiropractor who sometimes recommends massage work, Dr. Philip Parry, at Rajavej hospital. There is also aTha chiropractor (and practitioner of TTM) at (not sure of name of hosptital, something like "SiamRad". Not recommending anyone, just saying they are available, up to you. Dr. Parry---my experience--- is soft touch, but I am cautious about my neck in a strange country. Good luck!....(Dr. Parry wil not charge if he cannot do anything for you.)

• Like 2

I would go to A hospital and see if they know of A physical therapist.Many of these places have professional massage therapist.

I agree when you have nerve problems with your neck.You don't want to just go to A place on the street.Just my opinion.

• Like 2

OP, sounds like you should visit an orthopaedist first. The basic masseuse in these parts has very limited training and, then, some are better/worse than others. Chiang Mai Ram PT is good, as well, I gather, as Rajavej. Probably others, too. Just get an evaluation first with recommendations that you can relay to a therapist who knows what he/she is doing, not in a run-of-the-mill massage joint. You only have one neck; there are hundreds doing massage for a living in these parts.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

There is a good male "doctor" just down Wua Lai on the right just down from the bus start point.

Mr Lek from the Indian restaurant and bike hire on the left as you head past the intersection towards Smith Residences knows him by name and the exact location.

He fixed my frozen shoulder which had been an issue for years.

He is the best I have been to in all of Thailand but let me assure you that you don't have a Thai massage there for pleasure.

There is a good male "doctor" just down Wua Lai on the right just down from the bus start point.

Mr Lek from the Indian restaurant and bike hire on the left as you head past the intersection towards Smith Residences knows him by name and the exact location.

He is the best I have been to in all of Thailand but let me assure you that you don't have a Thai massage there for pleasure.

Best avoid a "doctor"? that you need to find by asking "Mr. Lek" from the Indian restaurant! One of the shadiest recommendations I've ever heard on here.

I can't remember the name of the place, but if you are facing Chiang Mai Gate from outside the moat, the next entrance into the old city towards Doi Suthep. (no gate) is right beside a massage parlor that many of the hospitals send their patients to. All the massage workers there are quite good at their jobs and the fees are very reasonable. No naughty stuff. My favorite is an older man named Somjai who gives the staff further training when they want it. I think that you always have to make an appointment there and they are always quite busy.

• Like 1

I would go to A hospital and see if they know of A physical therapist.Many of these places have professional massage therapist.

I agree when you have nerve problems with your neck.You don't want to just go to A place on the street.Just my opinion.

Most physical therapists that I've had contact with in Chiang Mai are next to useless. The poster above suggesting Dr Parry at the Rajeev hospital has got it spot on. It's the only answer for your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Best avoid a "doctor"? that you need to find by asking "Mr. Lek" from the Indian restaurant! One of the shadiest recommendations I've ever heard on here.

Comment accepted but the guy there provided exactly the right therapy for a frozen shoulder and we all should know how hard they are to treat.

My instructions on how to get there were just because I stayed in Smith Residences and often ate at the Indian restaurant.

Upto U....

I am finding it dificult responding to to your questions, but do know a chiropractor who sometimes recommends massage work, Dr. Philip Parry, at Rajavej hospital. There is also aTha chiropractor (and practitioner of TTM) at (not sure of name of hosptital, something like "SiamRad". Not recommending anyone, just saying they are available, up to you. Dr. Parry---my experience--- is soft touch, but I am cautious about my neck in a strange country. Good luck!....(Dr. Parry wil not charge if he cannot do anything for you.)

I have seen Dr. Parry twice the first time he took away 2/3 of my pain. The second time he could not help any more and recommended a physiotherapist. As it turned out he could not help me and neither could the physiotherapist. I needed the hip replaced. He was how ever very good at relieving some of the pain and honest about what he could do and not do. I paid for both visits.

I saw the physiotherapist at the Rajavej Hospital no help there recommended a heating pad OK with that but gave me exercises that I could not do. Dr. Suthep at the Ram hospital recommended another physiotherapist who did help a bit but needing the hip replaced it was a lost cause. ?The exercises she gave me were doable and she gave me a few more.

Edited by northernjohn