In Penang now and nobody is getting a Education Visa, even a tourist visa is a big mess.

"It's renewable for life pending they don't just uproot the program one day." - who are the "they" you are referring to? Thailand hasn't even got a Government at the moment.

It's an unstable country. Who knows what will happen here.

When's the last time Thailand has ever done anything for the benefit of farang here?

"uproot the program one day" - definately a possibility.

It survived massive losses since 2003 and it's still here. Two coups and guess what, it's still here.

It's not going anywhere as people are buying in. Many people.

Think about this for a second.

My friend scuba dives and works instructing. It costs him 6000 baht a month to maintain his work permit and jump through all the hoops that goes with that.

On the other hand, for a little over 8000 baht a month you can have this elite card and no hassles at immigration or yearly visits.

It's well worth the 500k.

Why does it cost your friend 6000 baht a month to maintain his work permit?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it, we all know that many folks on 'Education Visa' use this loop hole as an excuse to stay on long term in Thailand, and many rarely if ever attend any classes.

And why would any so-called 'tourist' need to go down to KL for a tourist visa after the 2 + 1 month extension (maybe multiple) is finished.

I know there are many cases where folks are more of less staying in Thailand with there own personal funding, but I also know that there many (many) working here in Thailand. What are the authorities supposed to do to weed out those illegally working ?

Maybe by offering the 5 year visa @ 500,000 baht to prove that applicants do indeed have the private funding.

And if they charged you ฿100,000 per year for your visa I bet you would be screaming ....Some people might not be so high and mighty when it applies to them

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Exploitations always gets closed.
All these visa holders knew the grey areas of this visa. Accept it and get legal instead of moaning about it.

Many criminals use this visa to stay long term and work illegally. Good job keeping the country a little bit cleaner.

Sent from my LG-D858

IMO, all the 'real' criminals are on proper visas or elite cards.

• Like 2

Why not use creditcards?

Where you ever young and excited to travel?

Yes, young and traveled, but not stupid. When traveling on a shoestring, you leave yourself vulnerable to rule changes and unexpected expenses. No worries for most, mommy and daddy will send money, so you can continue to be "on your own."

For others, it may be an important life lesson.

# phuketjock

I can afford it, and that's not boasting, but the last scheme went broke. That doesn't really inspire confidence, does it?

Therefore, I see the Thai Elite Card scheme as risk, and one that I am not prepared to take, not to mention, I don't like being pushed into a scam by Thai authorities.

As mentioned before, I have no ties here. If I'm out - no problem. I'm not complaining. I have prepared for that event, should it happen. I'll come back for a few months a year, and reconsider my position when I'm 50 years of age.

I knew you would say the Thai Elite Card, because there is nothing else. That's why I say, "pushed into a scam."

Believe me, I have looked at every single visa on offer. There are visas for playing sport here etc etc - I meet none of the criteria required for any of them, yet, can meet all the financials required for the retirement visa.

Other than the Thai Elite Card, can you suggest one of the many visas that I, and many others, including those stuck in Penang, as we speak, should be applying for?

I don't consider myself as an "undesirable" for Thailand, although many may say I'm an "undesirable" for this forum. smile.png

If I'm not welcome here - fine. I think the system I am using will be fine, but I have prepared for being rejected.

Your questions are the exact questions we know are the most relevant. But, you also know you're wasting your time asking these questions of the ilk here; they want you and others to fail, so that they can feel superior somehow; they'll call you an 'undesirable' without any thought, and to avoid any thought. They throw around the 'elite card' as a last resort, trump card, to dismiss people. And you're right; I can't think of any LESS sound investment than throwing 500k blindly into a system as corrupt as this coup has been, with no guarantee, rights or legal recourse.

• Like 2

Why not use creditcards?

Where you ever young and excited to travel?

Yes, young and traveled, but not stupid. When traveling on a shoestring, you leave yourself vulnerable to rule changes and unexpected expenses. No worries for most, mommy and daddy will send money, so you can continue to be "on your own."

For others, it may be an important life lesson.

But...not to generalize under your personal biases, of course.

• Like 1

wow my freind is studying on a ED visa in CM. He flew to Penang saturday so Monday morning he could extend his ED visa which has been approved by the MOE. Hope they sort this fast as he has 1 week there but there is a holiday sometime in between. OMG

Exploitations always gets closed.

All these visa holders knew the grey areas of this visa. Accept it and get legal instead of moaning about it.

Many criminals use this visa to stay long term and work illegally. Good job keeping the country a little bit cleaner.

Sent from my LG-D858

IMO, all the 'real' criminals are on proper visas or elite cards.

How does that work when there are police and immigration checks when you apply.

It isn't as easy as paying 500k and off you go for 5 years.

Sent from my LG-D858

"It's renewable for life pending they don't just uproot the program one day." - who are the "they" you are referring to? Thailand hasn't even got a Government at the moment.

When's the last time Thailand has ever done anything for the benefit of farang here?

It survived massive losses since 2003 and it's still here. Two coups and guess what, it's still here.

My friend scuba dives and works instructing. It costs him 6000 baht a month to maintain his work permit and jump through all the hoops that goes with that.

On the other hand, for a little over 8000 baht a month you can have this elite card and no hassles at immigration or yearly visits.

Cost of running his business.

Tax, social security for his 4 Thai staff and accounting.

Sent from my LG-D858

Cost of running his business.

Tax, social security for his 4 Thai staff and accounting.

Sent from my LG-D858

We're getting off topic here, but no, not possible. 4 staff alone is already 2,800 Baht minimum in social security, plus taxes and accounting costs would be well over 6,000 baht per month.

Quite a few dive instructors though have a company via an 'agency', and 6,000 Baht per month in that construction would be about correct. And fully legal as well BTW.

• Like 2

You all who have never lived in another Asian country may want to contemplate why Thailand's neighbors do not have all these silly "visa" problems. Why is there a website called ThaiVisa ? Why is Thailand so special ? It was. It just isn't anymore.

When these "visa" rules became laughable in a week I was gone. The party is over. It is time to go.

If you have family there and cannot leave, you have my sympathies.

If anyone has family here they can always get an O visa or go for an extension of stay. I am almost 50 years but I don't want to go to the hassle of having 400k parked for two months in the bank account and go through the same hassle every year. For me the Elite Card is the only option .

you would rather spend 500K than leave 400K in a bank account?!

Or 40k / month income.

# phuketjock

I can afford it, and that's not boasting, but the last scheme went broke. That doesn't really inspire confidence, does it?

Therefore, I see the Thai Elite Card scheme as risk, and one that I am not prepared to take, not to mention, I don't like being pushed into a scam by Thai authorities.

As mentioned before, I have no ties here. If I'm out - no problem. I'm not complaining. I have prepared for that event, should it happen. I'll come back for a few months a year, and reconsider my position when I'm 50 years of age.

I knew you would say the Thai Elite Card, because there is nothing else. That's why I say, "pushed into a scam."

Believe me, I have looked at every single visa on offer. There are visas for playing sport here etc etc - I meet none of the criteria required for any of them, yet, can meet all the financials required for the retirement visa.

Other than the Thai Elite Card, can you suggest one of the many visas that I, and many others, including those stuck in Penang, as we speak, should be applying for?

I don't consider myself as an "undesirable" for Thailand, although many may say I'm an "undesirable" for this forum. smile.png

If I'm not welcome here - fine. I think the system I am using will be fine, but I have prepared for being rejected.

Your questions are the exact questions we know are the most relevant. But, you also know you're wasting your time asking these questions of the ilk here; they want you and others to fail, so that they can feel superior somehow; they'll call you an 'undesirable' without any thought, and to avoid any thought. They throw around the 'elite card' as a last resort, trump card, to dismiss people. And you're right; I can't think of any LESS sound investment than throwing 500k blindly into a system as corrupt as this coup has been, with no guarantee, rights or legal recourse.

thumbsup.gif Ran out of 'likes'

Also, Please show me one person that actually came to Thailand to study.

99.9% would have used it only as a 2nd option to prolong their stay with no intention to study.

Sent from my LG-D858

In my school I can show you 99.9% of students do actually come to learn. Each for their own reason but they attend classes and genuinely want to learn. If you know 99.9% of people on ED who do not go to classes then you are hanging around with the wrong crowd and makes me wonder about your motivations as well.

Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory insult removed
  • Like 2

99.9% would have used it only as a 2nd option to prolong their stay with no intention to study.

Sent from my LG-D858

In my school I can show you 99.9% of students do actually come to learn. Each for their own reason but they attend classes and genuinely want to learn. If you know 99.9% of people on ED who do not go to classes then you are hanging around with the wrong crowd and makes me wonder about your motivations as well.

Well, of course people in your class want to learn. And how many people on ED visa not in your class?
  • Like 1

Sent from my LG-D858

My motivations?

I've held my non B visa since 2005 and never had a problem because I chose the path that was most suited to my circumstances, not made based on what i could save in costs by going the cheapest route.

I had to go through the BOI which included police check from my home country.

Does a education visa even have similar checks in place?

I know it doesn't so no need to answer that.

Sent from my LG-D858

• Like 1

Well i think it is good to inform people about what is going on as many people want to know, i am just using this forum to inform. If this is bad and the negative people want to post silly things, then up to them..

Forums are to keep people informed.

Kay - you are providing a service for which a few people should be grateful. The only thing you are guilty of is a little naivety in not knowing that at least half of the posters on these forums are knuckle-draggers and mouth-breathers.

Actually i knew what to expect as i have posted many things. Most of the people that send out negative comments are not even brave enough to use thre own name and hid behind the forum. I don't ever take it personally, i have leaned to have a broad back living here so long. There are some nasty ******** out here along with the good ones. They know who they are.

Sorry Kay, I must take exception to your statement that "people that send out negative comments are not even brave enough to use their own name and hide behind the forum"

People that use their own name are being very unwise. It's absolutely amazing what you can find out about people once you have their name and location.

When I say "unwise", I'm being polite.

• Like 1

My friend went to Phuket Town immigration today to apply for a retirement visa. He was there for three and a half hours.

He says he was told this: First get a month's extension, then a three month visa/extension and then he would be legible to apply for the retirement visa. I probably haven't got this exactly right but, for sure, it's one month come back, three months come back, and then at the end of the three months, apply for a retirement.

He says the American lady who works there as a farang helper told him that she had never heard of this before. She was very surprised, apparently.

Maybe there are new rules from Friday.

Well, he can not apply for a retirement visa on Phuket.

Easiest way: get a O-visa from abroad, and extend that based on retirement.

I suggest you tell your 'friend" that there is no such thing as a "Retirement" Visa! You do, in fact have to come into the country on a multi-entry O-Visa and after one month you may apply for a extension for "retirement". For that application there are requirements; age, medical, police report and finical statement and such. All these details are clearly listed on the Thai Gov Immigration pages. It would appear to me that many people do not bother to read up on the requirements, no follow up on Govt statements regarding changes - or enforcements!

Edited by Varangkul

Sent from my LG-D858

Well, of course people in your class want to learn. And how many people on ED visa not in your class?

School! Many classes in a school. laugh.png

I suggest you tell your 'friend" that there is no such thing as a "Retirement" Visa! You do, in fact have to come into the country on a multi-entry O-Visa and after one month you may apply for a extension for "retirement". For that application there are requirements; age, medical, police report and finical statement and such.

No medical or police report is needed for an extension of stay being over 50.

Edited by paz

Sent from my LG-D858

My motivations?

I've held my non B visa since 2005 and never had a problem because I chose the path that was most suited to my circumstances, not made based on what i could save in costs by going the cheapest route.

I had to go through the BOI which included police check from my home country.

Does a education visa even have similar checks in place?

I know it doesn't so no need to answer that.

Sent from my LG-D858

I was many years on None B and flown once a year to Germany to get that 1 year sticker in my page and I only once was on a tourist visa which is many years back. Now I am on an O visa due to my boy that is two years old. I never had once a problem about visas and I am even not 50 yet but I never had an edu visa during my 24+ years in Thailand. It was always None Immigrant B or O and I was never once harassed at the airport.

• Like 1

I suggest you tell your 'friend" that there is no such thing as a "Retirement" Visa! You do, in fact have to come into the country on a multi-entry O-Visa and after one month you may apply for a extension for "retirement". For that application there are requirements; age, medical, police report and finical statement and such.

I am not sure how it is but when someone applies a None O-A in Germany they need to show a medical and police report (original plus 2 copies) plus a letter in English with his bio data plus either 1600 Euros in pension per month or 20,000 Euros in a bank account.

Different embassies, different rules which makes it some time confusing.

• Like 1

I am not sure how it is but when someone applies a None O-A in Germany they need to show a medical and police report (original plus 2 copies) plus a letter in English with his bio data plus either 1600 Euros in pension per month or 20,000 Euros in a bank account.

Different embassies, different rules which makes it some time confusing.

The confusion come from the fact that I wrote about extension of stay, that is not a visa.

Extension of stays are granted in Thailand with the support documents that you can read here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

Visa are issued at embassy and consulate outside Thailand. The requirement for non-imm O-A visa that you listed are pretty much the same everywhere in the world.