New history textbooks to teach 'correct democracy'

webfact

New History Textbooks To Teach 'Correct Democracy'
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — The educational reforms devised by Thailand’s military junta will instill students with a "correct" understanding of democracy, top officials say.

"I am afraid that children understand democracy in an incorrect way because of the events in the country’s recent past," said Gen. Suthat Kanchananonkul, who was appointed to advise the Ministry of Education by the Cabinet last month. "Therefore, I want all the teachers and school administrators to promote correct democracy for the kids."

After seizing power in a coup on 22 May, the junta's National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) ordered an overhaul ofThailand's education system to promote patriotism among Thai youth.

Kamol Rodklai, the secretary-general of the Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC), said the junta’s revised history textbooks are ready to be used in public schools across the country from 3 November onward.

"There has to be a drastic change in the way history is taught," Kamol said, "It shouldn't focus only on the details of what happened, but also focus on creating a sense of Thainess and patriotism for the children."

Last month, it emerged that the Ministry of Education's new history textbooks failed to mention former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, an extremely influential political figure who backed the government toppled in the 22 May coup.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1413811048&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-21

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These must be the new history books that have deleted history about Thaksin.

One can only imagine how it portrays true democracy?

I just hope they teach more than just voting!

I remember watching a interview with a Chinese official who said that China was the only country to get it right as they had the ' purest ' form of democracy since The Party selected all the candidates making sure only the best and most suitable selected. The people could then vote in complete confidence of the most appropriate candidate being selected.

What's the bet that the new lessons project Thai democracy being the only true style and Thainess the only way to live ?

• Like 1

Nothing better than a non elected gov. To tell you what democracy is.

I would LIKE your post 100x if the script would allow it.

I would bet my life there is not a Thai word for hypocrisy....

Gaan si sang .... you must die now... but I will commute your sentence to life on earth.

• Like 2

I'm guessing they will use Japanese pron stars to illustrate how "Thai" democracy should work?

Should be easy, just show a few rich people ( "Good People" ) at the top of the chart, telling the serfs what to do circa 1605; Thai Democracy at its finest.

excerpt:

"We Thais in Thailand are very special and the rest of the world doesn't understand us. The Greeks may have invented democracy but they did not take into account 'Thainess' and how advanced we are"

from the 'you will be happy and vote correctly' section of the new history book

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

I think the democracy that the Greeks had did not allow women to vote. Also, Ancient Greece had a whole load of slaves, and they weren't allowed to vote as well. So Greece was a place that most of the adults in society did not have the right to vote.

If everybody in Ancient Greece had the right to vote, what would have happened ?

Actually, teaching patriotism to children. Well, this ia actually important. Any nation is surely built on patriotism and pride for the nation, on nationalism. Without this, well, what is the point of being a nation ? You might as well not be a nation.

• Like 2