Where to buy an Ebook Reader in Chiang mai?

filgerman2014

Check out the prices of Kindles and other hardware. Then go buy a used notepad computer, configure it to use whatever epub reader you wish, and use the extra money you saved on something else, like buying ebooks!

Problem with tablets is the it drains the battery to quickly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the prices of Kindles and other hardware. Then go buy a used notepad computer, configure it to use whatever epub reader you wish, and use the extra money you saved on something else, like buying ebooks!

The problems with tablets are myriad including a.) back-lit screens b.) weight and c.) battery life.

I think the Kindle that won't ship to Thailand is the one that comes cheaper because of the ads. Pay a bit more and get the ad-free one. I ordered one for my son , a Paperwhite model about a month ago. Yes, comes by UPS in about a week. If you order via Fleabay is the warantee valid?

The problems with tablets are myriad including a.) back-lit screens b.) weight and c.) battery life.

I've been using a Mini-iPad for the past two years now (I suppose that counts as a 'tablet?') and don't find ANY problem with it at all.

Being a full-sized grown-up, I'm able to carry it without resorting to a wheelbarrow, can control the lighting with an on-screen slider if needed, and while I do need to recharge it every 4-5 days instead of 10 days, i have to charge my phones and large iPad pretty often so it just gets added to the charger array. Not a problem. And I no longer have to rely on Calibre. I did like Calibre and used it extensively when I used my Kobo and Sony readers, and enjoyed the friendship of Kovid Goyal, the fellow who developed Calibre, but it's nice not to 'need' to use it any longer. I can read every format there is on my iPad and still adjust fonts, font size, and spacing, etc. What I do get in exchange for the extra battery charging is full use of a computer in my pocket.

advantage of eReader over iPad mini.... Your kids won't want to be on it every time you put it down!

... LOL! And that's the truth! 555!

E-readers ARE lighter weight, though, and for some of you old folks, that's important. And they make special carrying pouches that attach to the sides of walkers now in several designs.

advantage of eReader over iPad mini.... Your kids won't want to be on it every time you put it down!

E-readers ARE lighter weight, though, and for some of you old folks, that's important. And they make special carrying pouches that attach to the sides of walkers now in several designs.

I prefer my Kindle because I can just throw it in my grabpow and take it any where with no problem. wai.gif

I prefer my Kindle because I can just throw it in my grabpow and take it any where with no problem. wai.gif

Why would this be any different with an iPad-Mini? They are roughly the same size.

I think the Kindle that won't ship to Thailand is the one that comes cheaper because of the ads. Pay a bit more and get the ad-free one. I ordered one for my son , a Paperwhite model about a month ago. Yes, comes by UPS in about a week. If you order via Fleabay is the warantee valid?

You are correct. I didn't pay attention to that in my post above. When I bought mine a few years ago and shipped here, it was without ads.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi
by Amazon
Price: $209.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
Select connectivity and other options after adding to cart
In Stock.
This item ships to Mai Rim, Thailand. Learn more
Ships from and sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC. Gift-wrap available.
Connectivity: Wi-Fi + Free 3G

Yes, the seller provides a complete warranty. With more than 7,000 sales and 100% positive feedback - I'll assume they actually deliver on that.

You are correct. I didn't pay attention to that in my post above. When I bought mine a few years ago and shipped here, it was without ads.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi
by Amazon
In Stock.

Much cheaper without the ads... and they don't work in Thailand anyway. :-) So, it appears I was half-right, half-wrong, mea culpa. :-) I'd still go the ebay route again, I think.

by Amazon
In Stock.

Much cheaper without the ads... and they don't work in Thailand anyway. :-) So, it appears I was half-right, half-wrong, mea culpa. :-) I'd still go the ebay route again, I think.

Why not just go to B2K at the Festival Central and get one there?

I wouldn't, the Amazon service is great, something was wrong with my Kindle, just sent it back and got a new one in about 2 weeks.

The Kindle Paper write is ideal for anybody confined to bed and/or hand grip is compromised.

It is light weight, easy to hold and also the font size can be adjusted to large or small print.

I wouldn't, the Amazon service is great, something was wrong with my Kindle, just sent it back and got a new one in about 2 weeks.

As you don't lose the warranty this is pretty much irrelevant.

by Amazon
In Stock.

Why not just go to B2K at the Festival Central and get one there?

Cost. It's much cheaper to do it via Ebay.

I saw the Paperwhite in B2S today (not sure what B2K is but I could only see one shop selling them in Central - B2S). As has been said, price I think is the problem. As with many things here: Electronics + Import = Mega Bucks. Double the price compared to the USA - 7,990 baht. Bargain. Not!!!

I only find Kindles useful for novels and I don't read enough of those to have a device dedicated to it. Unless you want to faff around with EBay I'd much rather pay the 5,000 more for an iPad Mini 4 that can do all the things that it can do BESIDES being an e-reader AND display books reliant on graphics and / or colour MUCH better than an Kindle. That's just my circs though, if I wanted something JUST for novels or B&W text a Kindle would be fine, but definitely not at double the price.

Yes, the seller provides a complete warranty. With more than 7,000 sales and 100% positive feedback - I'll assume they actually deliver on that.

That won't work. Thai post will absolutely not fly anything airmail with a lithium battery.

I saw the Paperwhite in B2S today (not sure what B2K is but I could only see one shop selling them in Central - B2S). As has been said, price I think is the problem. As with many things here: Electronics + Import = Mega Bucks. Double the price compared to the USA - 7,990 baht. Bargain. Not!!!

I only find Kindles useful for novels and I don't read enough of those to have a device dedicated to it. Unless you want to faff around with EBay I'd much rather pay the 5,000 more for an iPad Mini 4 that can do all the things that it can do BESIDES being an e-reader AND display books reliant on graphics and / or colour MUCH better than an Kindle. That's just my circs though, if I wanted something JUST for novels or B&W text a Kindle would be fine, but definitely not at double the price.

Sorry about the B2S screw up. One of many senior moments. I was wondering if the Ipad mini4 will store all the books as well as open them to where I left off. Or any of the other devices that people use. I do read a lot and have an extensive library. Also do all the other devices have a list I can just go to and click on the book. Sorry for the questions but I really am not tech savvy at all.

Sorry about the B2S screw up. One of many senior moments. I was wondering if the Ipad mini4 will store all the books as well as open them to where I left off. Or any of the other devices that people use. I do read a lot and have an extensive library. Also do all the other devices have a list I can just go to and click on the book. Sorry for the questions but I really am not tech savvy at all.

As long as you're using some kind of library software - yes. The trouble with an iPad Mini is it's backlit and that means over time; it's much more hard work to read on than it is to read on a Kindle. No biggie if you don't read much but I read 5-10 novels a week on my Kindle and I couldn't do it on an iPad.

Yes, you can store a thousand books on an iPad-Mini if you want to, but I doubt you'd need to. I find 50-100 at a time gives me more than enough choice when I've finished one and want to start another. And yes, ALL of the various reading aps that you can use in the Mini will 'bookmark' your place, and re-open to it if you wish. Or, if you read two or three books at the same time (I like to read one 'thriller/action' book and one philosophy or science book at the same time, switching as my mood hits) you can open to which ever bookmark you wish. You can annotate if that is your style, use dictionaries, link, etc., etc.... You can add the Kindle app so your Mini can read 'mobi' format books, or half a dozen other e-book reader apps so you never have to deal with changing formats. It even comes standard with "iBooks,' Apples own multi-format reader that can also be used for Audiobooks which will also 'bookmark' so you can listen to your favorite book while walking or driving. Apple's audiobook format is m4b, which will start up from where you left off, so you don't have to search as you might have to with mp3 audiobooks.

As long as you're using some kind of library software - yes. The trouble with an iPad Mini is it's backlit and that means over time; it's much more hard work to read on than it is to read on a Kindle. No biggie if you don't read much but I read 5-10 novels a week on my Kindle and I couldn't do it on an iPad.

The backlighting on an iPad-Mini is completely adjustable. You can turn it off if you wish too, keep it low or turn it high. You can change fonts in ALL books, not just a select few, adjust font size, line spacing, page margins... completely shape the page to your own preferences. I read 2-3 hours a day on an iPad-Mini, but there IS one serious drawback to them.... Because you can so so much MORE than just read a book on a Mini, you might be tempted to make a Skype call to your friend, watch a new movie, read the news from BBC, CNN, or Bloomberg, learn how to cook Pad Grapow Gai, look up the answer to a question, or keep track of your stock portfolio. For me, (and it's why I switched away from a Kindle, Kobo, and Sony readers which I used for years,) I only want to carry ONE device that can do everything I want, not just read a book. Kindles are great. They just don't do enough.

Yes, you can store a thousand books on an iPad-Mini if you want to, but I doubt you'd need to. I find 50-100 at a time gives me more than enough choice when I've finished one and want to start another. And yes, ALL of the various reading aps that you can use in the Mini will 'bookmark' your place, and re-open to it if you wish. Or, if you read two or three books at the same time (I like to read one 'thriller/action' book and one philosophy or science book at the same time, switching as my mood hits) you can open to which ever bookmark you wish. You can annotate if that is your style, use dictionaries, link, etc., etc.... You can add the Kindle app so your Mini can read 'mobi' format books, or half a dozen other e-book reader apps so you never have to deal with changing formats. It even comes standard with "iBooks,' Apples own multi-format reader that can also be used for Audiobooks which will also 'bookmark' so you can listen to your favorite book while walking or driving. Apple's audiobook format is m4b, which will start up from where you left off, so you don't have to search as you might have to with mp3 audiobooks.

The backlighting on an iPad-Mini is completely adjustable. You can turn it off if you wish too, keep it low or turn it high. You can change fonts in ALL books, not just a select few, adjust font size, line spacing, page margins... completely shape the page to your own preferences. I read 2-3 hours a day on an iPad-Mini, but there IS one serious drawback to them.... Because you can so so much MORE than just read a book on a Mini, you might be tempted to make a Skype call to your friend, watch a new movie, read the news from BBC, CNN, or Bloomberg, learn how to cook Pad Grapow Gai, look up the answer to a question, or keep track of your stock portfolio. For me, (and it's why I switched away from a Kindle, Kobo, and Sony readers which I used for years,) I only want to carry ONE device that can do everything I want, not just read a book. Kindles are great. They just don't do enough.

You can't turn backlighting off on an iPad Mini. The screen is lit from behind (as are all such screens) thus the light shines directly into your eyes. No light = no image. It's the same as turning the screen off.

Kindle uses an E-ink screen and there is no lighting used to produce the image at all (it's a black image) and then (with the Paperwhite) a light is projected forward onto the screen (hence front-lit) to enable the text to be easier to read.

There is no comparison in terms of ease on the eye between backlit and frontlit (just like a book) devices. You can do much more with an iPad Mini but there is a trade off for that functionality and that includes - it's a poorer e-reader for those who read a lot.

The new IOS 9.3 also has a night shift mode which you can schedule to automatically warm up the colour temperature at night which is supposed to help your brain get ready for sleep. But for protracted reading, especially at night, or even in bright sun, the screen / backlight / eye strain is an issue. Dimmabe / 'warmable' or not. I just don't read rough straight b/w text for it to be an issue to me, but I do read enough books relying on images and diagrams for the inadequacies of the Kindle to be a showstopper. Boils down to what your specific needs are.

Thing for me with the iPad Mini is that it's standard price here without having to faff around with eBay etc and there is also the warranty side if anything goes wrong within the first year, or even the first 3 if you pay up for Apple Care. It's double the cost of a Kindle but to me, it's WAY more than double the value. Of course there's the added benefit that the iPad does so much more AND I find iBooks a much better app for reading pdf than Kindle. In iBooks you can search within a pdf and it will show a summary of the search results so you can see the context of where the result is. On the Kindle app, as far as I can see, you can't search within a pdf. Only read it.

Edited by SooKee

You can't turn backlighting off on an iPad Mini. The screen is lit from behind (as are all such screens) thus the light shines directly into your eyes. No light = no image. It's the same as turning the screen off.

Kindle uses an E-ink screen and there is no lighting used to produce the image at all (it's a black image) and then (with the Paperwhite) a light is projected forward onto the screen (hence front-lit) to enable the text to be easier to read.

There is no comparison in terms of ease on the eye between backlit and frontlit (just like a book) devices. You can do much more with an iPad Mini but there is a trade off for that functionality and that includes - it's a poorer e-reader for those who read a lot.

I stand corrected... You can't turn off the backlighting 'completely.' What you can do is adjust it to a comfortable level for 'most anyone's comfort.' I find that I keep mine at about 3/4ths intensity, just as I do my phone. I read a couple of hours on my Mini every day, and find it just as comfortable as I did when reading on my Kindle.Or my Kobo. Or my Sony reader, all of which were e-ink designs. So really no trade-off at all, except that you can do so much more with it. I'm not really sure why you think its "a poorer e-reader for those who read a lot" though.... Have you spent much time reading on a Mini to make that comparison? I've spent a few years with Kindle, Kobo, and Sony readers, and now a few years using the Mini iPad. If anything, the ONLY significant drawback to the Mini would be that it's a bit heavier than the dedicated e-readers, so if you prefer to read in bed, plus have strength problems with your hand, I'd certainly recommend an e-reader over a Mini. Other than that, for reading comfort, they are about the same (despite the advertising to the contrary,) there is no need for external library software for file conversions if you want to read other formats, and the prices reflect the limitations of the e-readers.

The new IOS 9.3 also has a night shift mode which you can schedule to automatically warm up the colour temperature at night which is supposed to help your brain get ready for sleep.

Thing for me with the iPad Mini is that it's standard price here without having to faff around with eBay etc and there is also the warranty side if anything goes wrong within the first year, or even the first 3 if you pay up for Apple Care. Of course there's the added benefit that the iPad does so much more AND I find iBooks a much better app for reading pdf than Kindle. In iBooks you can search within a pdf and it will show a summary of the search results so you can see the context of where the result is. On the Kindle app, as far as I can see, you can't search within a pdf. Only read it.

iBooks has pretty much replaced all the other reading aps that I had on my Mini. It reads virtually all the various book formats, allows font change, font size and spacing changes, line spacing changes for all formats (except pdf which is really a 'picture' rather than having scale-able fonts,) can store multiple bookmarks and annotations for each individual book AND for audiobooks as well. Biggest horror with audio books is that if you listen to an Mp3 audiobook and then close it for another, you have to search to find your place again! iBooks stores all those bookmarks, even for Mp3 audiobooks! iBooks allows you to catalog your library, search it by different strings, add and delete books either directly from the Internet or sideloaded from your computer without the need for third-party software. As much as I loved the ease and convenience of the "Calibre" software, it's even MORE convenient to no longer need it! BUT...

... for those who are die-hard Kindle fans, the iPad Mini has a Kindle ap so you can pretend you are still using your Kindle. :)

Actually, there is a Kobo ap, a Sony ap, and a Nook ap too, as well as Stanza, Martin, BookShelf, and a dozen other e-book reading aps available, But now iBook can do what all of them together can do, so it frees up a lot of space.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Thanks fellows lots to think about. I do read a lot and the quality of the light is important to me. There is one huge down side to the I pad and that is it is apple. I have my hands full with windows 7. Can you read an I pad in full sunlight?

I stand corrected... You can't turn off the backlighting 'completely.' What you can do is adjust it to a comfortable level for 'most anyone's comfort.' I find that I keep mine at about 3/4ths intensity, just as I do my phone. I read a couple of hours on my Mini every day, and find it just as comfortable as I did when reading on my Kindle.Or my Kobo. Or my Sony reader, all of which were e-ink designs. So really no trade-off at all, except that you can do so much more with it. I'm not really sure why you think its "a poorer e-reader for those who read a lot" though.... Have you spent much time reading on a Mini to make that comparison? I've spent a few years with Kindle, Kobo, and Sony readers, and now a few years using the Mini iPad. If anything, the ONLY significant drawback to the Mini would be that it's a bit heavier than the dedicated e-readers, so if you prefer to read in bed, plus have strength problems with your hand, I'd certainly recommend an e-reader over a Mini. Other than that, for reading comfort, they are about the same (despite the advertising to the contrary,) there is no need for external library software for file conversions if you want to read other formats, and the prices reflect the limitations of the e-readers.

It is a poorer e-reader because it's a back-lit, heavier device, with lousy battery life. There is no comparison between any kind of tablet, mini-tablet, or smartphone and a dedicated e-reader in terms of quality of reading experience. That's the trade off. There would be no dedicated e-reading devices if the tablets/smartphones did a better job of it.

It's the same reason that a DSLR and a good lens beats your iPad Mini's camera. That a top of the range MP3 player eats your iPad Mini for lunch when it comes to music playback. And so on...

Generalist devices are always going to be worse at a job than specialist ones. I have no issue with what you read on at all (they're your eyes) but there is zero doubt (read all the tech press for confirmation) that the Kindle is the best possible device on the market today for reading books on. It doesn't matter how much you love your iPad Mini - it doesn't do the job as well as a Kindle but in exchange it does lots more jobs than the Kindle.

Also, reading in direct sunlight on a shiny reflective screen with no front lighting? No fun at all.

It is a poorer e-reader because it's a back-lit, heavier device, with lousy battery life. There is no comparison between any kind of tablet, mini-tablet, or smartphone and a dedicated e-reader in terms of quality of reading experience. That's the trade off. There would be no dedicated e-reading devices if the tablets/smartphones did a better job of it.

It's the same reason that a DSLR and a good lens beats your iPad Mini's camera. That a top of the range MP3 player eats your iPad Mini for lunch when it comes to music playback. And so on...

Generalist devices are always going to be worse at a job than specialist ones. I have no issue with what you read on at all (they're your eyes) but there is zero doubt (read all the tech press for confirmation) that the Kindle is the best possible device on the market today for reading books on. It doesn't matter how much you love your iPad Mini - it doesn't do the job as well as a Kindle but in exchange it does lots more jobs than the Kindle.

Also, reading in direct sunlight on a shiny reflective screen with no front lighting? No fun at all.

It may be a poorer e-reader for you because of what you want to read on it. For others, the kindle is inferior, bordering on useless. It's all well and good the Kindle excelling at one thing PROVIDED that's what you want it to do. If you don't read ANY books or publications that contain ANY images / diagrams or whatever (and especially any that are reliant on colour it doesn't matter how much you love your Kindle, in those cases it doesn't do the job as well as a well specced tablet. Boils down to what you need it for. Beyond books, try reading an e-newspaper on a Kindle, abysmal experience, and that's without taking into account the news aggregator apps such as Flipboard As to the weight, Ipad Mini is heavier sure. 298 gm vs 205 gm for the Kindle. We're not talking massive difference or earthshaking changes in comfort.

There is no 'one size fits all' best. The Kindle is best ONLY for text only books. It simply boils down to what the INDIVIDUAL needs it for and, in some cases, the Kindle is rubbish.

Edited by SooKee

Good summary

I lost My paper white and am now using a Samsung 10.1 tablet, it just ain't working apart from the weight the reflection really sucks in sunlight. The other thing is tavelling, with an eReader you charge it then forget it for a week, but the tablet is being used for other stuff and big battery drain so you end up being tethered to a cord the whole time.

Also when my eReader I actually read, I'm way to distracted on the tablet