Living In Thailand

robbie22

i am moving here next week from USA recently retired i have been to Thailand twice loved it. I will be staying in Bkk in a serviced apartment to start with. What should i expect first couple of months? What are common problems farangs run into there? please appreciate any info or clues. i will be very close to Victory monument skytrain station.

i am moving here next week from USA recently retired i have been to Thailand twice loved it. I will be staying in Bkk in a serviced apartment to start with. What should i expect first couple of months? What are common problems farangs run into there? please appreciate any info or clues. i will be very close to Victory monument skytrain station.

I think you will fall in love with a bargirl or boy ...and be in seventh heaven until you learn

they hate you and only want your money.

Then you will get depressed and ask yourself, why did I come to this sh**hole place.

Then next you will feel better and get over it and try again.

Then next you will be strutting around like a know it all ex-pat.

Then you will get bored and have nothing else to live for except this boring forum.

Then you will join the chorus and call me a troll.

Then you will die of old age...or boredom.

Funny replies but in a way, quite correct.

The two B's............bar girls and boredom.

Avoid them both at all costs.

The third B.........beer.........find a half decent place to drink it, away from the first of the other two B's, meet some decent ex-pats who play golf or who can show you how to occupy your time away from fantasy land.

You may love Thailand. You may even like Bangkok. It all depends on you. If you hated life in the States, you might hate life anywhere. And vice-versa when you enjoy life anywhere.

It's a great adventure. Your old coworkers will be jealous, and not understand.

Don't let JRingo's comments deter you from coming over here and enjoying life.

Read the various forums on ThaiVisa. Don't lose your head.

One common problem is that you'll be bored and drink too much. Or sex too much (yes, it's possible). You have to work at being retired. My sister thinks she just quit her last job. She spent two days, she says, just staring into space. After years of retirement, I can only stare into space for minutes.

Good luck.

Be careful of your money & the ladies, particularly bargirls. I would live here for 2-3 years before you consider any marriage with a lady, if ever. Bangkok is an exciting & fun city, but I prefer to visit, not live there. Enjoy the food, pleasant weather & friendly people. Try to develope aquaintences & friends outside of the Farang hangouts if possible.

My advice is to get yourself set up here as a single man. Get everything how you want it, just right. Then if you want a 'friend' begin the search. It is what I did and has given me a certain security in my relationship. I made sure I was happy with my lot as a single man so that I would never be afraid of being alone.

Take up some hobbies. There are plenty of social and sports clubs out here, get involved. Work out exactly how much money you have each month, and how much of that you can afford to loose on 'frivilous pursuits'. Do not exceed your own limits for any reason bar emergencies. Accept the wisdom on this and other forums regarding the pitfalls that are out there, wise up to them before you jump.

My advice is to get yourself set up here as a single man. Get everything how you want it, just right. Then if you want a 'friend' begin the search. It is what I did and has given me a certain security in my relationship. I made sure I was happy with my lot as a single man so that I would never be afraid of being alone.

Take up some hobbies. There are plenty of social and sports clubs out here, get involved. Work out exactly how much money you have each month, and how much of that you can afford to loose on 'frivilous pursuits'. Do not exceed your own limits for any reason bar emergencies. Accept the wisdom on this and other forums regarding the pitfalls that are out there, wise up to them before you jump.

Impressive! Well said. :o

I think if you are going to come to Bangkok for the thrill of cheap sex, booze and the excitement of being on a perennial holiday and the like then you will proably have a good time for a while and then it will peter out.

Why would you choose Bangkok (which is a smelly, disgusting place) as opposed to CM or Koh Samui or some other place that actually has an easily-accessible resident population of expats - as you will not be satisfied with having only Thai friends - this takes time and you need to be able to speak Thai.

As tourleadersi mentioned - set yourself up with the single life first and put all your ducks in a row.

Edited by Sing_Sling

Here is a common pitfall..letting everyone know how much your retirement benefit is:

"I am 51 and planing to retire in Thailand also I live in Los Angeles and I would like to know what is going to be the right visa for me? I would qualify for the retirement visa money qualifications 65,000 baht a month I believe? If someone could give me some pointers or a heads up I would appreciate it thanks."

I predict you will have lots and lots of friends.

...and your share of heartache...

...good luck!

Here is a common pitfall..letting everyone know how much your retirement benefit is:

"I am 51 and planing to retire in Thailand also I live in Los Angeles and I would like to know what is going to be the right visa for me? I would qualify for the retirement visa money qualifications 65,000 baht a month I believe? If someone could give me some pointers or a heads up I would appreciate it thanks."

I predict you will have lots and lots of friends.

...and your share of heartache...

...good luck!

Well Guys i already have a girl guess i forgot to mention that. So much for getting my ducks in a row by the way her name is Duck. I just met her 6 year old daughter last trip. I am going to take a shot at it with new family really get along well so far. As far as living in Bkk i plan on staying on Koh Samui for at least 2 months a year like really like lamai beach. I do not really drink that much very little but i am sure that could change. I was in the hospital there Bumrungrad last trip with stomach ulcers so drinking is not really an option. thanks for the tips on bargirls and that.

Well Guys i already have a girl guess i forgot to mention that. So much for getting my ducks in a row by the way her name is Duck. I just met her 6 year old daughter last trip. I am going to take a shot at it with new family really get along well so far. As far as living in Bkk i plan on staying on Koh Samui for at least 2 months a year like really like lamai beach. I do not really drink that much very little but i am sure that could change. I was in the hospital there Bumrungrad last trip with stomach ulcers so drinking is not really an option. thanks for the tips on bargirls and that.

In light of what you have just told us I am sure you will get a wealth of advice regarding your relationship situation. Can I offer you one piece of genuinely friendly advice?

Ask yourself why you are moving out here. If it is because of her then never loose sight of the fact that in Thailand it is easy to find a new girlfriend but hard to find one that you want to keep. It sounds like you are both getting on well so that is great. Do take my advice and work out your financial position and do not exceed it. Don't come over here and spoil the GF and her child rotten, in the future your money may decrease and you could get hurt. Start slowly, very slowly. Don't give any money out that isn't justified or reasonable to you, and see how things go. You can always increase your spending in the future knowing that she stuck with you, it is a lot harder to do it the other way.

Never loose sight of who you are and what you stand for. Before you met your present girlfriend I am assuming you were a nice guy, you liked yourself and you coped with being alone. Nothing has changed. Don't ever forget that. Some might try and be the devils advocate here. All I want to do is recommend that you remain concious of the trend of falang - Thai relationships out here and keep your feet (and wallet) on the ground. Most of all, enjoy yourself Robbie. This is a fantastic country, great food, great people and a strong expat community to help with the blues. Don't expect smooth sailing from the start. It took all of us a great deal of trial and error before we settled down into our own rhythms.

Good luck with the move Robbie.

Thanks again i think it will be all right have a few friends in los already they live in udon. I will definetly keep a eye on my finances as i have a set limit per month. wonder if it will be possible to open a local bank acct in bkk? I will enjoy the food and watermelon shakes and foot massage everything this place has to offer.

If you're planning to live here I reckon job #1 is start learning the Thai language. That'll keep you busy for awhile. Sounds like you've already decided to take the plunge before, ah... burdening yourself with a whole bunch of information... interesting. Just keep an eye on the ole pocketbook and don't forget how to say no, a very useful word when it comes to surviving in the LOS.

Let us know how it goes... :o

Good Luck, Robbie.

You have already received some good advice, another would be, just don't do anything(within reason) that you wouldn't do in your own country.

I guess you wouldn't buy any land in your home country before checking the rules or using a solicitor, or paying for someones mothers eye operation soon after you have met them or .......

You seem pretty switched on, have a good time.

Good Luck

Moss

Oh, I forgot, avoid certain doom sayers!!!!

If you're planning to live here I reckon job #1 is start learning the Thai language. That'll keep you busy for awhile. Sounds like you've already decided to take the plunge before, ah... burdening yourself with a whole bunch of information... interesting. Just keep an eye on the ole pocketbook and don't forget how to say no, a very useful word when it comes to surviving in the LOS.

Let us know how it goes... :o thanks i plan on trying to learn thai understand they have some schools near skytrain stops ant recomendations appreciated.

Look under general topics Thai Language alot of advice there use skytrain easy to get to many schools. Good luck (chokdee) Take your time (char char) keep your hand on your spendings at all times be (keneyow) sticky with your money. Have fun (sanuk) :o

Edited by warriors

Try Thong Lor Thai Language School at the bottom of Thong Lor BTS stop. It's not the cheapest nor the most expensive but they've got a pretty good program there. After 3 or 4 two week modules you should start catching on to the basics.

Most important asset to have when living in Thailand, coming from the US, is a healthy dose of openness and acceptance. I've seen so many American's who burn out here in less than two years, because they are incapable of unclenching and accepting cultural traits.

You can tell those who are not long for Thailand, they start every conversation with, "Can you believe that they did___________? That would ever happen in the US.

Robbie, I'm surprised nobody had given you this little piece of advice...............

Beware of Farangs, there are many in Thailand who are on the bones of their azz and they would not hesitate in ripping off another Farang.

Never lend Money to another Farang, don't listen to the " I'm having money sent over next week " stories.

You can do ok in Thailand, just keep yourself to yourself and pick friends wisely.

Don't worry too much about being ripped off by Thai people, it's the Farangs that are the worst culprits.

Don't drop your guard.

I think you will fall in love with a bargirl or boy ...and be in seventh heaven until you learn

Then you will get depressed and ask yourself, why did I come to this sh**hole place.

Then you will get bored and have nothing else to live for except this boring forum.

From the nature of your posts, I strongly suspect this happened to you JRingo.... :o

Or join the Hash House Harriers... and none of the above will occure... :o

Most important asset to have when living in Thailand, coming from the US, is a healthy dose of openness and acceptance. I've seen so many American's who burn out here in less than two years, because they are incapable of unclenching and accepting cultural traits.

You can tell those who are not long for Thailand, they start every conversation with, "Can you believe that they did___________? That would ever happen in the US.

I like your avatar interesting. thanks for the advice i will use all of it to make my transition a lot easier.

hmmm if those are the only options ... I think JohhnyRingo the troll is in fact a bored old trollish dead guy :o