Short changing at tollway booths.

I just wanted to know, in other people's experience if this is a common occurrence?

I was short changed today at the Paentong toll booth between Bangkok and Pattaya, I was going to say it is my fault for not checking my change, but NO, it is not my fault. It is my belief that the attendant deliberately short changed me. The toll was B30 and I had nothing smaller than a 1,000 so I handed it over, she handed back the change with the rather oversized receipt on top. Yes, I should have counted the change but I was in a bit of a hurry so I glanced under the receipt, saw a 500 and some 100's and was on my way. Upon discarding the receipt (on the floor of my car, not out the window like everyone else seems to do), I noticed the change was B200 short, too late to go back now.

So, I am wondering about which of the following apply?

1. This is a normal scam perpetrated on people who they believe will not bother to check their change?

2. The toll booth staff are incapable of counting out the change?

3. 1+2

Either way, it is a little worrying. But in all seriousness, do check your change, don't be an idiot like I was and assume honesty/a basic ability to count.

I was not born cynical, the world has made me that way.

I don't use that particular tollway, but whenever I hand over a large note on Don Mueang or the 2nd Stage the toll collector counts the change carefully very visibly.

Never been short changed (famous last words of course).

I know it does not count.. but we use easy pass.. so much better never short changed never long waiting lines. But I am not sure that tollbooth has it too seems there is not 1 toll system in Thailand but multiple. Even before using easy-pass never got short changed.

Lost count of the number of times I have used the tollways, never had a problem.

Give the staff their due, I usually have the red one in my hand as I approach, they grab it and give me back the exact change everytime.

What pisses me off are the tawats that take about 2 minutes to get their shyt together, you know you have to pay money, they wait until they reach the gate, then start pissing around looking for the money to pay.

Not mentioned the upcountry hillbillies that have to get out the car coz the windows dont work, or the tawats that cant read the signs for 4 wheel cars and trucks, good ole Somchai trying to reach about 10 foot up in the air to pay coz he entered the wrong lane.

If anything, IMHO, the girl probably did it to piss you off for giving a yellow one, the rights and wrongs of it are neither here nor there.

By your own admission, you didnt have the correct money, you didnt take the time to check it, I have no idea what an oversized receipt is, I always get the same size.

From other people's experiences it seems like I was unlucky on this occasion. In response to the easy pass comments, yes, I also use easy pass, unfortunately they are unable to get their dung together enough to have a system that works across Bangkok and out on the 7 towards Chon Buri. Having said that, I have noticed they have started to install some easy pass lanes which are not open yet, perhaps in the near future we can have one system that works for all. I hope so, as paying cash is really not necessary in this day and age.

ANYWHERE that you hand over a 1,000 note they will try to short change you. Always check.

What you are saying is that everyone, everywhere in Thailand will try to steal from you and that there are no honest people here. That's as ridiculous as your post, as demonstrated by all the replies here to the OP.

ANYWHERE that you hand over a 1,000 note they will try to short change you. Always check.

What you are saying is that everyone, everywhere in Thailand will try to steal from you and that there are no honest people here. That's as ridiculous as your post, as demonstrated by all the replies here to the OP.

So you're saying there's not an objective or reasoned post to this OP in this thread? That's as ridiculous a generalization as his post.. I see several objective & reasoned posts, including mine.

Edited by WarpSpeed

So you're saying there's not an objective or reasoned post to this OP in this thread? That's as ridiculous a generalization as his post.. I see several objective & reasoned posts, including mine.

That's not what he is saying. He is saying 'several objective and reasoned answers here to the OP'.

• Like 1

That's not what he is saying. He is saying 'several objective and reasoned answers here to the OP'.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was meaning and as usual he is just trying to start a fight in order to get the thread closed as he usually does.

Geez, here we go again having to explain posts over and over again to you.

No I'm not saying what you suggest, I responded to chris2004's banal post that shortchanging always happens everywhere. Very simply, it doesn't.

Without exception, all the posts here disagree with the OP's experience, including yours, although yours does contain a nasty bit of venom suggesting for no reason at all that the person taking the tolls in this case was the exception and decided to take advantage of the OP.

Perhaps the OP miscounted.

• Like 1

I often give 1000 baht notes at the toll plaza. It is convenient place to break the large note to smaller denominations because they have lots of cash and small bills.

I just make sure to check every time ,and never had a problem or been shortchanged.

OK, I sit corrected, I see his meaning now upon second read..

No I'm not saying what you suggest, I responded to chris2004's banal post that shortchanging always happens everywhere. Very simply, it doesn't.

Without exception, all the posts here disagree with the OP's experience, including yours, although yours does contain a nasty bit of venom suggesting for no reason at all that the person taking the tolls in this case was the exception and decided to take advantage of the OP.

YOU Have never had to explain anything to me, and seldom does anyone else, and when someone does I am man enough to admit my error as I have done so above, unlike the rest of the preponderance of posters here who are seldom ever man enough.

Where did you come from? You just showed up out of nowhere? And now you claim to have to explain somethings to me over and over? Who's troll are you? It wasn't a nasty bit of venom it's a nasty bit of reality and fact there are those, even here in the west, that take advantage of their position as toll takers and pocket money, it's one reason they now have cameras directly over the registers, get over yourself, it happens, even in your deluded fantasy world of Thailand. Which is far from it BTW for those who REALLY know the place.

Edited by WarpSpeed

YOU Have never had to explain anything to me, and seldom does anyone else, and when someone does I am man enough to admit my error as I have done so above, unlike the rest of the preponderance of posters here who are seldom ever man enough.

Where did you come from? You just showed up out of nowhere? And now you claim to have to explain somethings to me over and over? Who's troll are you? It wasn't a nasty bit of venom it's a nasty bit of reality and fact there are those, even here in the west, that take advantage of their position as toll takers and pocket money, it's one reason they now have cameras directly over the registers, get over yourself, it happens, even in your deluded fantasy world of Thailand. Which is far from it BTW for those who REALLY know the place.

You've just proved the point I made to another poster...again, you're a stroppy so-and-so if anyone dares dispute or disagree with what you say and it's beyond tedious.

"Where did you come from? You just showed up out of nowhere?" What? Who the hell do you think you are? Do you think you have more right to be here than I or anyone else does?

"...BTW for those who REALLY know the place." I know Thailand, really, I live here, that's more than you do. But, of course, no-one knows more than you do about anything and everything as you keep trying to point out. It's a pity you don't realise how far removed from reality you really are.

Anyway, you will want the last word, as usual, so over to you, I can't be arsed with you.

Didn't one of the toll booth operators get an extraordinarily long prison sentence once for stealing some of the money ?

By long I'm talking about between 10 and 20 years. Based on the mushroom picker incident I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

You've just proved the point I made to another poster...again, you're a stroppy so-and-so if anyone dares dispute or disagree with what you say and it's beyond tedious.

"Where did you come from? You just showed up out of nowhere?" What? Who the hell do you think you are? Do you think you have more right to be here than I or anyone else does?

"...BTW for those who REALLY know the place." I know Thailand, really, I live here, that's more than you do. But, of course, no-one knows more than you do about anything and everything as you keep trying to point out. It's a pity you don't realise how far removed from reality you really are.

Anyway, you will want the last word, as usual, so over to you, I can't be arsed with you.

I lived there for over 10 years dopey and just recently left.. But it's good if you can't be arsed with me, the feeling's mutual just ignore my posts nothing lost to me..