Pattaya Christmas 2014 Hotel advice please

Duggsie

Thanks for reading. The subject title pretty much says it all.

What estimate do you make on how busy it will be over Christmas 2014 as I wish to visit Pattaya with my Thai wife and twenty-something Caucasian daughter, so two rooms are required.

I don't ordinarily tend to book hotels, in advance, as I do not like to be constricted by forward planning ("never make plans in Thailand" being my general maxim).

I usually just turn up at a given hotel and enquire as to rates and availability. If not acceptable, I'll go onto the next, etc., etc.

This time, though, I have "baggage" (the two females described, above). Neither being in possession of either my patience or dogged determination and generally laid-back (some would say "verging on the comatose" frame of mind), I could maybe do without the(ir) "hassle".

Looking to pay around 1000Bht or so, per room per night.

In the immortal words of Joe Strummer "Should I go or should I pay now?".

Please help me out of this dilemna and give me the benefits of your own experience.

Thanks again.

Duggsie smile.png

Edited by Duggsie

The New Ozo has "flash deals" going on this week.

Thanks, but their "Flash Deal" at Chrimbly starts at 2000Bht per night (twice my ideal target).

I can book thousands of rooms at 2000Bt pn, in advance.

Would not be happy paying that on a "Walk-In" (even if the immaculately pregnant wife was sat on a donkey outside and there was no room at any of the other Inns, either). A hotel room is a bed to me. That and a shower. I sleep there. I shower there. I'm not on holiday to view the inside 4 walls of a hotel room or watch cable TV. I can do that at home, so why pay 2000Bt a night for it?

Reply is appreciated though.

As I read it the rooms are 950/night if you book this week.

Thanks again, but the 950 is if you book now for,say, next week.

As soon as you search in the Chrimbo holidays it doubles, at least.

As I said, thanks for your help and for caring enough to. smile.png

As I read it the rooms are 950/night if you book this week.

Thanks again, but the 950 is if you book now for,say, next week.

As soon as you search in the Chrimbo holidays it doubles, at least.

As I said, thanks for your help and for caring enough to. smile.png

I select Christmas eve and I get the 950 rate. The discount applies to 17 Oct 2014 - 30 Jun 2015.

ozo.png

You will find that most hotels will charge you and your guests for a Christmas dinner , even if you don't want it , you will still be charged.

As for a walk in , I tried that one year and took me the best part of 4 hrs to find somewhere , cost , 2,500 a night.

With all this talk of high season being a no show this year , maybe all the hotel prices will drop ........biggrin.png

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

I was hoping for some personal insight and reviews/recommendations but think I may have solved my own problem.

From much web browsing I found the following site which I hope the Forum will not object to me posting (if I have broken any rules, through trying to be helpful to others, please feel free to delete the link or move the post - whichever is most appropriate).

Here is the link which I have found to be very useful and might help others, whatever area of Thailand they are interested in:

http://www.thailandee.com/eng/index.php

All the best.

Duggsie smile.png

Online in my experience is hideously overpriced. I once walked in to the Hilton at Heathrow but clicked with the receptionist who sent me to the Business Centre to book it online and a 200 quid room became 100.

Agreed.

I've gotten a room in a great hotel in Pattaya for 600 when their online price was 1200, just by walking up to reception and asking. No haggling involved. (OK, I asked for the rate in reasonable Thai, rather than English, which probably helped).

Which is why I was wondering what those on the ground might be able to advise as to the likelihood of my repeating this during the coming Chrimbo period.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Duggsie