Boat ramps in Phuket.

hansgruber

Anybody know where the best boat ramps are to launch a boat?

I know of a few, one at Rawai beach thats tide dependant and the one at Kata beach which launches you into a black/grey water klong behind club med but hard work to get it to the sea.

Any others? Public or private?

Also is it legal to launch a boat from the beach like the speedboat and jet ski operators?

Cheers in advance.

Sent from my LG-D858

Both Boat Lagoon and Ao Po marinas have ramps, for a small fee (500 baht or so). There's another public one (very narrow) a few hundred metres north of Chalong pier (just past the Lighthouse).

Another one in a private boatyard (most people call it Coconut Yard) in Chalong (turn right at first set of lights on Chaofa East going towards Phuket Town from Chalong Circle - Honda dealer on the corner). Both Chalong ramps tide dependent.

Prime consideration is where you intend leaving the vehicle/trailer whilst you're offshore.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

Both Boat Lagoon and Ao Po marinas have ramps, for a small fee (500 baht or so). There's another public one (very narrow) a few hundred metres north of Chalong pier (just past the Lighthouse).

Another one in a private boatyard (most people call it Coconut Yard) in Chalong (turn right at first set of lights on Chaofa East going towards Phuket Town from Chalong Circle - Honda dealer on the corner). Both Chalong ramps tide dependent.

Good thanks.

I went to the coconut yard in Chalong but I'm trying to avoid launching east coast and their isn't many west coast launch spots.

Do you think launching at Kata beach is illegal? Just a quick drop off and go.

I notice there is a tractor people use and trailers parked just up near the rescue centre.

I guess I better just go ask the jetski boys or pay them to launch it for me.

Don't beiieve it illegal, it is after all a 'pubkic' beach. As I said previously though, parking could be a problem.

Just went around the beaches and at Kata they will tow it in and out for 1000 baht using their tractor.

I can drive a pick up and do myself for free but I rather not salt up someone else's pick up.

Patong jet ski boys said I have to ask the Police. I didn't bother.

There is a ramp near the south end klong but its got long tails and junk around the place. Doesn't look very public.

Sent from my LG-D858

Edited by hansgruber

Don't beiieve it illegal, it is after all a 'pubkic' beach. As I said previously though, parking could be a problem.

Just went around the beaches and at Kata they will tow it in and out for 1000 baht using their tractor.

I can drive a pick up and do myself for free but I rather not salt up someone else's pick up.

There is a ramp near the south end klong but its got long tails and junk around the place. Doesn't look very public.

Sent from my LG-D858

You possibly already know, but at 'Coconuts', it's 500 baht for launch and recovery. I actually store my boat on it's trailer there, and though I too have a 4X4 with towing gear, prefer to use their tractor. If you catch the tide as it's rising, then obviously return before very low tide you get circa 6 hours or so on the water. Plus you've got the proximity of Chalong Pier and the fuelling station there (I always top up before putting back ashore).

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

Sent from my LG-D858

You possibly already know, but at 'Coconuts', it's 500 baht for launch and recovery. I actually store my boat on it's trailer there, and though I too have a 4X4 with towing gear, prefer to use their tractor. If you catch the tide as it's rising, then obviously return before very low tide you get circa 6 hours or so on the water. Plus you've got the proximity of Chalong Pier and the fuelling station there (I always top up before putting back ashore).

I inspected the facility a few months ago and saw they store boats but didn't inquire about storage.

What's the monthly storage fees for an 18 footer? Undercover or exposed? Also is it safe?

Sounds quite appealing as I prefer in and out experience. Packing up and trailering sucks after a long day out.

Sent from my LG-D858

Had mine there for nearly a year now, and it's secure. My boat is a similar size to yours and I pay 3000 baht/month. It's open storage but you're welcome to install your own pole and canvas type 'garage'. Plenty of fresh water points around the yard for washing down/engine flushing, and nearby there's a few useful places such as the Marine Store plus battery shops on Chaofa East. There's also a small workshop that services outboards just outside the yard near the entrance (separate business).

• Like 1

If I'm going to use the boat a lot (such as this December when a buddy of mine is staying with me for a month), I'll probably put the boat on a berth at Boat Lagoon for the month. That allows access any time, and the option of a long day at my own favourite waters around the islands between Koh Yao Noi and Krabi. Cost is about 8/9000 baht for the month. Boat Lagoon also has it's own fuelling dock.

• Like 1