Will i need to cancel my ED visa while exiting a day before it expires ?

I'm a bit confused by this all. Difference between having an ED visa and extensions. And on how this is going to make a problem at the border.

I'm currently on an new ED visa (not extended yet) but as I have found a job, they are sending me to Vientiane to get a work permit.

Will i have troubles at the border to go out?

Quick help would be appreciated as I'm flying out today

"I'm a bit confused by this all. Difference between having an ED visa and extensions. And on how this is going to make a problem at the border.

I'm currently on an new ED visa (not extended yet) but as I have found a job, they are sending me to Vientiane to get a work permit.

Will i have troubles at the border to go out?

Quick help would be appreciated as I'm flying out today"

You will not get a Work Permit in Vientian!

Perhaps you are looking for something else ?

Edited by nzexpat

• 7 months later...

Well, to add to this post, my son just back from the Cambodian Border yesterday. He has been in Thailand for 3-4 years on ED extensions studying at one of the top International Schools. He just graduated and is 18 years old. He wants to stay a couple more weeks (taking a Gap year) so he did the Visa run. Canadian passport, coming back in on a 30 day visa exempt. At the border, they told him he needed to cancel his ED Visa (?) , but they must have meant cancel his extension to stay? But his extension to stay was expiring the day he was crossing the border, yesterday the 31st.

They made him pay 1500 baht to do this. No receipt. Then he left Thailand and came back on his 30 day visa exempt entry.

I asked his school before he was to go to the border about this letter (because one Visa run company said he would need a letter if on an ED Visa to ensure he would get back in ) and they told me he would not need it. So we didn't bother.

It seemed to me that as his extension to stay was ending that day and he was leaving, why would that require anything else other than saying bye at the border? I have never ever seen anything written anywhere when you obtain either a visa or extension to stay that it must be cancelled before you leave? Where is this written and if it is why is it not brought to the attention of every individual who is granted one?

Well, I'll tell you why........nah, I think you're all smart enough to figure it out on your own......

TIT

I might add that I was in Bangkok on a Non-Imm O extension as well, being the parent of a child here doing study, and I flew out ( I think it was the day before that extension ended) to Hong Kong and came back in with a new Tourist Visa this time. Was never asked for anything regarding cancellation of the Non-Imm. Not asked for anything to state the change or cancellation or anything ......

Well, to add to this post, my son just back from the Cambodian Border yesterday. He has been in Thailand for 3-4 years on ED extensions studying at one of the top International Schools. He just graduated and is 18 years old. He wants to stay a couple more weeks (taking a Gap year) so he did the Visa run. Canadian passport, coming back in on a 30 day visa exempt. At the border, they told him he needed to cancel his ED Visa (?) , but they must have meant cancel his extension to stay? But his extension to stay was expiring the day he was crossing the border, yesterday the 31st.

They made him pay 1500 baht to do this. No receipt. Then he left Thailand and came back on his 30 day visa exempt entry.

I asked his school before he was to go to the border about this letter (because one Visa run company said he would need a letter if on an ED Visa to ensure he would get back in ) and they told me he would not need it. So we didn't bother.

It seemed to me that as his extension to stay was ending that day and he was leaving, why would that require anything else other than saying bye at the border? I have never ever seen anything written anywhere when you obtain either a visa or extension to stay that it must be cancelled before you leave? Where is this written and if it is why is it not brought to the attention of every individual who is granted one?

Well, I'll tell you why........nah, I think you're all smart enough to figure it out on your own......

TIT

Yes it is what you think it is.

It was only in Nongkhai though, thank you for pointing out that it is happening also on Cambodian border.

As I am coming up on the end of my ED visa, I asked the office girls at my school about this today, and this is what they told me are the current instructions from Jomtien immigration:

I do need a letter from the school that says I am done with school and want to cancel my ED visa as of a certain date. I should schedule my exit from Thailand on the date in the letter.

I will need to go to immigration with my passport and the letter. Immigration will put a stamp in my passport stating my ED visa is canceled as of the date on the letter. This stamp overrides the 'permission to stay' date stamp from my current extension.

I have to exit Thailand before midnight on the date shown in the new stamp, or I am considered to be on an overstay. I should go get this stamp as close to the day of my exit as possible, so one or two days before leaving in my case.

Again, I should exit Thailand ON the date that is on the stamp from immigration. After I have exited (aka walked through passport control at the Cambodia border) my ED visa is completely and properly cancelled and I am free to get a new visa or exempt entry.

If I don't do this process and exit the country, my visa and any extensions on it are invalidated, but not properly cancelled. This may cause problems getting a new entry stamp or visa.

They also said they have had students recently stopped by Thai passport control at the Cambodia border and refused exit, because they did not get the stamp from immigration canceling the ED visa.

Take this as you will, this is what my school is telling me about what Jomtien and the guys at the Cambodia border want people to do as of now. TIT things change and YMMV.

Thanks for that info.

What is YMMV?

Every 90 days for the past three years or more I've been telling these clowns where I live, and yes, I am still here, same address, same phone number, every 90 days...... So if they are going to make this rule/law standard procedure, ya think they would have at least informed those of us that it would affect? No?

Make an announcement, make it clear, make it standard. Let it be known.

They make it tedious to come and stay and now they are making it tedious to leave!

Why would you need a letter from the school? It is the Immigration Department who permits any extensions. If you don't have an extension in your passport and you are leaving on the day the current one expires, is it not completely obvious that it is finished/cancelled/completed? who cares if you are still enrolled in school? <deleted>?

Thanks for that info.

What is YMMV?

Every 90 days for the past three years or more I've been telling these clowns where I live, and yes, I am still here, same address, same phone number, every 90 days...... So if they are going to make this rule/law standard procedure, ya think they would have at least informed those of us that it would affect? No?

Make an announcement, make it clear, make it standard. Let it be known.

They make it tedious to come and stay and now they are making it tedious to leave!

Why would you need a letter from the school? It is the Immigration Department who permits any extensions. If you don't have an extension in your passport and you are leaving on the day the current one expires, is it not completely obvious that it is finished/cancelled/completed? who cares if you are still enrolled in school? <deleted>?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=YMMV

I figure I have no room for complaint considering the hoops a Thai person has to jump through to even visit my home country, let alone stay there for an extended period of time. I just do my best to keep myself informed and follow the rules the best I can.

• Like 1

Thanks for that UbonJoe.

An entire busload of ED visa holders was 'turned back' at Nong Khai on Monday. They had to get their language school(s) to fax them a letter saying their visa would be cancelled, then go to Immigration at Nong Khai, and only then were they allowed to exit Thailand. Hence my question.

Let me guess,they were delayed for embassy application time and had to stay another extra day in Vientiane?

Thanks for that UbonJoe.

An entire busload of ED visa holders was 'turned back' at Nong Khai on Monday. They had to get their language school(s) to fax them a letter saying their visa would be cancelled, then go to Immigration at Nong Khai, and only then were they allowed to exit Thailand. Hence my question.

Let me guess,they were delayed for embassy application time and had to stay another extra day in Vientiane?

He said delayed in Nong Kai because they were refused exit.

Que conspiracy theories about more overstay fees.

Thanks for that UbonJoe.

If you could let the person I am asking the question respond that would be great thanks

Thanks for that UbonJoe.

If you could let the person I am asking the question respond that would be great thanks

He did answer, or at least, the answer was already there before you asked the question.

If one is turned back from exiting at Nong Kai, it logically follows that one is still in Thailand.

He did answer, or at least, the answer was already there before you asked the question.

If one is turned back from exiting at Nong Kai, it logically follows that one is still in Thailand.

I don't see how that answer my question.

The question was:

Vientiane is across the border in Laos. Where they were stopped was not in Laos. That is the question I was referring to. I figured it was the one you were referring to as well as that is the one you quoted.

The question was:

Vientiane is across the border in Laos. Where they were stopped was not in Laos. That is the question I was referring to. I figured it was the one you were referring to as well as that is the one you quoted.

No that does not answer thequestion

Please drop it as you don't understand the situation, I am referring to, and this is getting silly

Sorry you are unable to be clear.

it's unclear to anyone that have not been in that same situation, that's why the question is not for you to answer, never was and never will be.

Now DROP IT

and let the person I am asking the question answer.

Kitsune ....you are doing exactly the same in another thread about passport requirements at Vientiane. Read all the posts prior to loading both barrels.

Jacksam I was not talking to you on this thread or the other one.

I asked a question to ONE person and ANOTHER person that did not understand the question answered.

That's all

Edited by Kitsune

Kitsune ....you are doing exactly the same in another thread about passport requirements at Vientiane. Read all the posts prior to loading both barrels.

I asked a question to ONE person and ANOTHER person that did not understand the question answered.

That's all

Fair point. Upon having another look I think I may have misunderstood. Aside comment. I like your posts "generally" fact is sometimes a bit abrasive. Your clearly a clever bloke. Why so many pin pong games occur on many threads.

Back to the OP ...I hope we get back to good advice.

That's all

Fair point. Upon having another look I think I may have misunderstood. Aside comment. I like your posts "generally" fact is sometimes a bit abrasive. Your clearly a clever bloke. Why so many pin pong games occur on many threads.

Back to the OP ...I hope we get back to good advice.

I am not a bloke. And I am not abrasive I am passionate, hence ping pong.