Vientiane Work Visa Denied

My head teacher told me I could go to Laos to get my paperwork done.

Well, I just arrived and the Thai embassy officer told me I have to go to immigration.

That's a long trip for nothing.

The thing is, under certain circumstances won't they give you the work visa?

I'm entering Thailand by land and heading to immigration. Is there anything I should known before hand? Do they want a certain amount of days left on my visa before I apply for the permit.

I really hate wasting time and resources.

There is no work visa. You can apply for and get a single entry non immigrant B visa at the embassy.

You need the paperwork listed on their webpage. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

Not sure what you were trying to accomplish in Vientiane.

The school needs to supply you with the correct documents not immigration.

• Like 1

It is beginning to sound like the school addressed the documents to immigration instead of the embassy.

You can only get one visa and that would be the non-b.

You don't get a visa at immigration unless you do a conversion to one. For that you would need a work permit application done and approved.

Normally you get the non-b visa and work permit and then apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

Thailand makes work permit/visa's sooooo difficult for teachers!

No wonder all the good teachers have left, or leaving Thailand in the near future.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, with 5 years teaching in Thailand at numerous schools. It is not just "Thailand" but many of the schools do not have a clue as to what is needed, or do not want to provide it, for both Non B Visas and Work Permits. I have learned more in 5 years more about the paperwork for visas and Work Permits than any Thai school staff or directors will learn in a lifetime.

• Like 1

If this is an error caused by the school should I ask they reimburse some of the costs like the $50 Laos visa?

Laos visa is $30 - 35 depending on nationality. You have been scammed paying in Thai Baht. If you read the forum you will find all the indications on how to execute correctly a visa trip.

Out of the forty or more teachers i have worked with in thailand only about 5 of them had a work permit. Its not like u have to run around a tree three times and u have it u have to run a paperwok gauntlet. Its not worth getting one.

"not worth getting one"

First all all working without a WP is a crime and makes one a potential target.

Second, no WP == no visa 'B" == no extension of stay for reason of employment. So the person has to find another legal reason to stay in country, If not married (possibly you assume everyone is) that means the misery of repeated tourist visa, and if married means one cannot use his teaching job to demonstrate income because it's illegal and not paying taxes.

So, not a good situation to be in.

If this is an error caused by the school should I ask they reimburse some of the costs like the $50 Laos visa?

Laos visa is $30 - 35 depending on nationality. You have been scammed paying in Thai Baht. If you read the forum you will find all the indications on how to execute correctly a visa trip.

Not really a scam. A clear choice between one price in dollars and another in baht. The baht is not a choice currency on the international market like the dollar is. People want dollars, and therefore the prices generally reflect it.

Not really a scam. A clear choice between one price in dollars and another in baht. The baht is not a choice currency on the international market like the dollar is. People want dollars, and therefore the prices generally reflect it.

The scam comes from the fact that at the end of the day the officers changes Baht to USD, and give USD to the Lao state. Then they share the difference. There is no official sign specifying the fee in Baht and no Baht amount specified on the receipt.

• Like 1

The scam comes from the fact that at the end of the day the officers changes Baht to USD, and give USD to the Lao state. Then they share the difference. There is no official sign specifying the fee in Baht and no Baht amount specified on the receipt.

How do you know they share the difference? Every time I have been, they give me the option to pay with dollars or baht and the different amount. No way this can be called a scam. And even if it is, you are given the choice up front to fall for it or not.

How do you know they share the difference? Every time I have been, they give me the option to pay with dollars or baht and the different amount. No way this can be called a scam. And even if it is, you are given the choice up front to fall for it or not.

They share because the Los state wants dollars, they apply a fraudulent exchange rate, pocket the difference, so it's a win-win for both.

Sure one is given the choice, then when paying in Baht one accepts to be scammed on the basis of his ignorance and laziness about not carrying USD.

paz, on 22 Oct 2014 - 17:54, said:
crickets, on 22 Oct 2014 - 17:44, said:

Out of the forty or more teachers i have worked with in thailand only about 5 of them had a work permit. Its not like u have to run around a tree three times and u have it u have to run a paperwok gauntlet. Its not worth getting one.

"not worth getting one"

First all all working without a WP is a crime and makes one a potential target.

Second, no WP == no visa 'B" == no extension of stay for reason of employment. So the person has to find another legal reason to stay in country, If not married (possibly you assume everyone is) that means the misery of repeated tourist visa, and if married means one cannot use his teaching job to demonstrate income because it's illegal and not paying taxes.

So, not a good situation to be in.

If your on an extension of stay based on marriage you can legally get a WP and legally work.

Under those circumstances why can't you demonstrate your income.

If your on an extension of stay based on marriage you can legally get a WP and legally work.

Under those circumstances why can't you demonstrate your income.

I was responding about the claim a "WP not being worth to get" to show that one is needed to demonstrate income.

BTW some offices (illegally) will not issue a WP to people with an extension of stay for marriage.

Edited by paz

Its a pretty well known u can teach here without a wp. Its a rite of passage for a esl government teacher.

What "u can" means, beside expressing broken English ?

Legally - can not.

Practically - sure one "can" do a lot of things.

I think u r putting a wp on a pedastol.

I'm not, I gave two good practical reasons why even a low paid teacher should get one.

Although, your written English would be reason enough to deny you one.

• Like 1

Being a good english teacher is all about the spelling and grammar is it? Must be fun for your students.

Thanks heaven I don't have any.

And thank you for reminding us what is desirable in a teacher. By the way, your writing is improving, well done.

They share because the Los state wants dollars, they apply a fraudulent exchange rate, pocket the difference, so it's a win-win for both.

Sure one is given the choice, then when paying in Baht one accepts to be scammed on the basis of his ignorance and laziness about not carrying USD.

i wouldnt call it a scam, they all do it, you want to go to the UK embassy in BKK and see what there exchange rate is if you want to pay in GBP,

A school or agency can sometimes send u with any old paperwork hopeing u can figure it out when u get there just to stop you nagging them about a permit. I know of one agency that was taken to court for sending someone to get there permit without the proper paper work. He got angry at them and then was fired. He was awarded 50baht in comphensation by the court. 90% of employee \ employer court apperances go to the employee.

• Like 1