Farang husbands providing massive boost to Isaan economy

Jonathan Fairfield

Before we moved back here to live, my wife sent 10,000 baht home as mother's milk every month x 8 years is a tidy sum. Nearly a million baht. And she had done that ever since she left school & started work but in early days the monthly amount was smaller. She never worked in a bar. Got a reasonable education, got a good job in a large reputable Thai company & worked hard.

We have now been here 11 months and let us just say that with housing mods, furniture & farm improvements to get farm yield up, the current figure is um very large also. Look forward to winding that down as we finish upgrading the farm. The Toyota Vigo does not appear in either of those amounts. It came about for totally other reasons 3 years ago I would say my situation is typical. B.T.W. We are not in Isaan!!! We are in North Chonburi & there are a more than a few farang-hubby houses much nicer than ours around.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Very interesting.

These figures are huge!

I wonder what Isaan would be like without all this funding from Farangs?

I remember what it was like. All the 'cousins' and 'brothers' lived in nipa huts. Now they live in concrete houses with bidets, provided by the nice farang ex-husbands.

and they drink Lao beer now !

The study also found that on average, the wife and foreign husband will normally return to the wifes family home in the region at least once a year, sometimes staying for as long as one month, which results in a dramatic increase in financial spending in the local area.

especially into the local mum and pop stores...

This is invaluable not only in fiscal terms.It strengthens the bond both between the wife's family with the husband,but also keeps Thai culture available for young children visiting maternal grandparents.

And with 10.000,- you save the culture,

as your childrens will just go to the village school

and later continou to work there were mother worked before;

roll on the "self entitled thailand owes me something" brigade.

you got a woman you couldnt get anywhere else and you... erm.. support the local economy. that was the deal. if you dont believe me, stop paying and see what happens. you dont get to add on treated like royalty and debt of gratitude to the deal after the fact.

A lot of this thread is a circle jerk of Farangs behaving like Cartman on his tricycle in South Park going, "Respect my Authoritah!"

T

• Like 2

So as you have all the figures, Can you advise how much of these trillions are distributed to the Isaan population and by what means. I am sure the 9 billion goes to many of them directly. and a fair bit indirectly

Huh ?

The "trillions" noted in my figures are not distributed to the Isaan population. That is my estimate of how much the Isaan population, as a whole, contributes to the Thai Gross Domestic Product (GDP), based on the information I could glean from the internet.

The "almost 9 billion" (or 8.666 billion in the original article) is what the study estimates foreign husbands (and/or their Thai wives) contribute to the GDP through their spending.

Obviously they don't break down exactly how that money goes from "foreign husband" to individual Isaan resident, just like they don't try to break down which "foreign husbands" spend more than others. Guys buy a house/truck/car/buffalo. Pays internet/electricity/water bills. Gives money to the wife. She buys groceries, goes to the salon, gives to her "brother" or other family members. They buy whatever, spend wherever. Shopkeepers/retailers/vendors get that money and pay salaries, buy stuff, pay their own bills, etc.

I'm sure the Uni gathered whatever information they could from public records and possibly various surveys in the area, extrapolated some numbers based on averages, multiplied by the estimated number of foreigners living in the region and came up with some fairly reasonable figures.

I took the "almost 9 billion" number and divided it by the estimated population of Isaan to see how it would average out, so you could have an idea of just how "massive" the boost is.

As it turns out, it's only the equivalent of about 410 baht per person, per year, so not exactly what I would consider a "massive" boost to the economy, when that number doesn't even equal the equivalent of 2 days of minimum wage.

if you really want know whats the GDP of issan,

discount first the gifts from Thaksins GVT,

as this is earned on othr parts of Thailand and not in Issan;

Maybee you also discounts all money transfers from Pattaya and Nana and Cowboy;

hope you still in the black figures;

Or dit the rice shem-scam made any GDP ??

as much as i so love thailand just the word thailand now makes my ass pucker up tight and puts me on alert if they not steal all of my money rob me of my health then theres a damm hired hit man waiting to kill me so they can get large insurance payments get me out the way fast so they work on the next dumb ass that comes along and all this is true very very true

• Like 1

as much as i so love thailand just the word thailand now makes my ass pucker up tight and puts me on alert if they not steal all of my money rob me of my health then theres a damm hired hit man waiting to kill me so they can get large insurance payments get me out the way fast so they work on the next dumb ass that comes along and all this is true very very true

Why would you think that is even remotely on topic?

If it wasnt for the farangs,i reckon there would be no-one in issan,they would all be begging on the streets of bangkok

For you and for the vast majority of the ex-pats who post here and have such limited understanding of Isaan, or of Thailand in general, may I suggest reading (yes I appreciate the futility) Prof. Charles Keyes most recent book "Finding Their Voice Northeastern Villagers and the Thai State".

Edited by Johpa
  • Like 1

Bloke on the cover pic looks like Tommy Mcardle (Gangster out of Brookside) ha ha ha... Eee ARrrr there, Tommy La! Tell ya heviees to stop hitting our Barry with the Hatchet! (in the boot and drives off in his Jag)

It could of been Jimmy Mcardle (I stand to be corrected)

If it wasnt for the farangs,i reckon there would be no-one in issan,they would all be begging on the streets of bangkok

For you and for the vast majority of the ex-pats who post here and have such limited understanding of Isaan, or of Thailand in general, may I suggest reading (yes I appreciate the futility)

cheesy.gif

They did not even mention "bride price" for the wedding. A far far more effective program that the

rice subsidy/scheme. It costs the government nothing. You would think the government would make

it super easy for foreign husbands.

• Like 1

Only 9,000 a month average? There are some tight @rses out there. I must be pushing that average way up.

And for the record I'm not complaining one little bit. My Isaan lady and her family (all of them) are the best people I have known. Hard working and honest. Perhaps I just got lucky but these are the best days of my life.

• Like 1

"as much as i so love thailand ..." and then proceed to slag it in an unpunctuated piece of hate.

Troll.

• Like 1

The study also found that on average, the wife and foreign husband will normally return to the wifes family home in the region at least once a year, sometimes staying for as long as one month, which results in a dramatic increase in financial spending in the local area.

especially into the local mum and pop stores...

Yes, likely buying all the beer for the extended family and friends that come hanging around.

Looks like Farang provide in Issan and many other places in Thailand and we don't force people to crawl on their hands and knees, instead stand up, treat us well and be genuine is all we ask. Who do they love now? Long live Farang.

Nothing new to me.

Keep saying that for a long time and I got some nasty responses from some members.

Eat your words out now.........dearest wise members.

Those that already knew, suspected or even deny what the report alleges are free to follow their convictions.

Stating "I told you so", "dearest wise members" or "eat your words" does little to change the minds of those who may have a limited, different or slanted view of the topic.

I try to avoid self-promotion of being "right", since more often than not, I am wrong on all counts. In the end, my little squeaks only provide the smallest of noises in a large and often chaotic world.

"as much as i so love thailand ..." and then proceed to slag it in an unpunctuated piece of hate.

Troll.

I agree. When I read such posts, that on one hand are quite Pak Wan, and then qualify the compliment with a barrage of insults and poor language, I go on to the next post.

The real scandal in all this is the fact that the recipients use this foreign windfall to qualify for businesses and homes from the banks. They soon fall short in payments, and that is where the shrewed (oftentimes Chinese) moneylenders offer a bailout. Now the foolish businessman/homeowner lets the moneylender "hold title". In effect, some payments are made on the outlandish interests (principal never/ever gets addressed). In time, the moneylender acquires the property, by default. Basically, the moneylender acquired the property at a fraction of the value...minus the payments they did manage to receive.

The crafty vs. the weak and unschooled.

There goes your country...Thailand...say goodbye to the farm

8.67B Baht, 747,094 jobs is 11604 Baht per job. Not a lot of money. It's only a retainer.... or a good supplement if it's not your primary income.

19000 couples, 747000+ jobs means each couple have helped in the creation 39 jobs.

39 jobs at 11604 per job created is...... 452593 Baht contributed by each couple.

Maybe the job creation figures are manipulated.

Sure paints a rosy picture of the "farang in laws". We sure are jai dee.

Can't see it making any difference to their attitude towards us on an administritave level.

Edited by drgoon

There is no mention of the approximate 100,000 Farangs who live all year round in Isaan , whose minimum input to the region must be about BT400,000,000 per month .

Farangs living in rural villages renovate their wife's home or build new houses , that gives a boost to the building industry , builders merchants , as well as ideas for neighbouring Thais to improve their homes . Farangs are able to spend more money at the local shops and markets . Farangs often pay for their wife's children to go to better schools and to college or university . Farangs buy cars , then all their Thai neighbours do too . Unfortunately we have the impression that Bangkok government doesn't like Farangs encouraging rural Thais to better themselves , perhaps robbing Bangkok or Rayong factories of an abundance of cheap labour . Farangs substantial input to the Thai economy is not recognised or appreciated by central government .

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.