Thai Women Cigarette Smoking (or Vaping)

Toknarok

How many Thai women do you know that smoke cigarettes? In my village I don't know of one. Even in the local town I only know of one woman who smokes, and even she does not smoke in public. Plenty of men seen smoking but a woman smoker is a rarity. If you ask a Thai why so few women smoke they will tell you that it is associated with 'bargirl' behavior and is frowned upon. Plenty of elder ladies chew beetle nut in this area and they often mix tobacco with the nut, but don't actually smoke.

Please don't let this thread degenerate into a pro/anti smoking debate, that's been done to death before.

I am the same I have not seen a lot of thai woman smoking at all in my 5 years coming and going but I did see one to day and it was the first time in 5 years but I have seen a lot in the bars of thailand smoking not that I go a lot but I think it is like tattoos on thai woman most of the tattoos are on bar girls my friend and my self call them tramp stamps if you know what I mean .

Very few young Thai woman smoke unless they are connected - or have been connected - with the bar industry. However, I get the idea that once they get old, it is not frowned on so much. Hopefully, by then they have realized how foolish it is, but some people don't ever get it.

I could be wrong, but I do not think that tattoos are as much of a sign that a Thai woman has a sordid past - or present - as smoking cigarettes. I am pretty sure that some regular girls have them too.

Edited by Ulysses G.

It's like this in most of east and south east asia. The men smoke like chimneys, and very few women smoke because it is has a very negative stigma for females. It is associated with prostitution and other negative, unladylike traits.

According to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_tobacco_consumption#Rates

About 40% of Thai men smoke, while only 3.4% of Thai women smoke. I think the female percent might be a slight undercount, as some women probably won't admit to it as it has such a heavy stigma, but the percent of female smokers is still very low.

• Like 1

I have to agree, Asian women in general do not like to smoke. And thats a good thing , I would imagine some hi-so girls active in the club scene will smoke, and of course bar girls and girls that think its a good idea to smoke together with westerners.

Anyway smoking cigarettes anywhere in the world will soon be a thing of the past .

Edited by balo

I've seen young and old girls smoking in Bangkok, but it's hard to know who is local. There's an old lady near our condo that hobbles out on her walking frame regularly to light up. At her age I don't think the smokes will kill her and she looks pretty chilled out while she's kicking back having a smoke.

Very few young Thai woman smoke unless they are connected - or have been connected - with the bar industry. However, I get the idea that once they get old, it is not frowned on so much. Hopefully, by then they have realized how foolish it is, but some people don't ever get it.

I could be wrong, but I do not think that tattoos are as much of a sign that a Thai woman has a sordid past - or present - as smoking cigarettes. I am pretty sure that some regular girls have them too.

Many Thai women have Sak Yant tattoos, which is different from a regular tattoo.

Well if we are talking about do they or do they not ,then yes I have seen many Thai Monks Smoking! when any form of Stimulus is forbidden!

any form of INTOXICANT is forbidden. I have seen nothing in the Vinaya forbidding smoking.

Tobacco did not exist in Asia when the Buddha was alive. It is from Central and North America and didnt reach Asia until Europeans discovered America and then brought it here.

So while it isn't technically prohibited, that is because it was unknown at the time. It is an extremely addictive drug, I find it difficult to believe Buddha would have approved of tobacco addiction. Smoking by monks to me is simply them indulging in a drug based on a technicality.

Well if we are talking about do they or do they not ,then yes I have seen many Thai Monks Smoking! when any form of Stimulus is forbidden!

any form of INTOXICANT is forbidden. I have seen nothing in the Vinaya forbidding smoking.

Tobacco did not exist in Asia when the Buddha was alive. It is from Central and North America and didnt reach Asia until Europeans discovered America and then brought it here.

So while it isn't technically prohibited, that is because it was unknown at the time. It is an extremely addictive drug, I find it difficult to believe Buddha would have approved of tobacco addiction. Smoking by monks to me is simply them indulging in a drug based on a technicality.

Nonsense, it is not an intoxicant. there are plenty of intoxicants in asia today that were unknown in buddha's time but that doesnt mean they are not prohibited. the purpose of substance banning is to prevent clouding of the mind in the pursuit of insight.

It is a mild intoxicant, and worse, it is one of the most addictive drugs on earth. A drug addiction is completely incompatible with detachment. I have little doubt that if tobacco had been known, it would have been prohibited. People today are just indulging in their drug addiction and seeking to satisfy their physical cravings by exploiting a technicality.

• Like 1

It is a mild intoxicant, and worse, it is one of the most addictive drugs on earth. A drug addiction is completely incompatible with detachment. I have little doubt that if tobacco had been known, it would have been prohibited. People today are just indulging in their drug addiction and seeking to satisfy their physical cravings by exploiting a technicality.

I'm really not concerned with what you doubt or dont doubt. the vinaya said nothing about BANNING attachments! if it did, the only guys able to be monks would be arahants! caffeine is an addicting stimulant as well and monks are allowed to drink tea.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I once asked a girlfriend if she smoked after sex. She said "I don't know, I've never looked"

If your GF smokes after sex, then you're doing it wrong.....................wink.png

So if a man smokes that's associated with barboy behavior?

Men are womanizers. So there is no problem with a woman doing the same. If she even makes money with it, great! Still better than women who expect this and that from a man but think they are different from the sluts they look down on. Men should shut up and start loving their own medicine.

• 3 years later...
On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 2:48 PM, Toknarok said:

Plenty of men seen smoking but a woman smoker is a rarity. If you ask a Thai why so few women smoke they will tell you that it is associated with 'bargirl' behavior and is frowned upon.

Less younger Thai men and women these days. Changing times, the ban on advertising, the association of the smoking habit as being stupid rather than cool from early age schooling helps. In years to come it will become obsolete.

• Thanks 1