Thailand: Switzerland leads 10 best countries for expats - here is the list

webfact

I don't think so,....this is a "bought" list. Bahrain, Taiwan, India, Hong Kong,...no way! Spent 2 weeks in Taiwan earlier this year and was very disappointed with the demeanor of the people. Stayed in a small town called Taoyuan, and used trains to travel around. The music of the trash collecting scheme got tiring.

The Muslim laws in Singapore and Bahrain are ridiculous.

Southern Germany I like,...Italy is beautiful, but too many Italians. Napoli is the filthiest city I've ever been to.

If I had a list of real places for expats, it would include Panama, Columbia, and Portugal. My favorite beach in the world used to be Playa del Carman in Mexico,...but the Americans "found" it about 15 years ago,...and as Americans do,...ruined it.

The worse place for a Caucasian to retire is Hawaii,...the most hateful, racist place I've been. Beautiful place, but stay away from Hawaiians,...and don't go to beaches alone or with a sweetheart,...only go in groups. I lived in Hawaii for one year, and verbally assaulted nearly every day with words like "you f--- haole."

Northern Thailand, IMO, has the best people on Earth.

I agree the North Thai is the best place. I have a gf who live up there. I stay away Pattaya and Nana places. My opinion.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so,....this is a "bought" list. Bahrain, Taiwan, India, Hong Kong,...no way! Spent 2 weeks in Taiwan earlier this year and was very disappointed with the demeanor of the people. Stayed in a small town called Taoyuan, and used trains to travel around. The music of the trash collecting scheme got tiring.

The Muslim laws in Singapore and Bahrain are ridiculous.

Southern Germany I like,...Italy is beautiful, but too many Italians. Napoli is the filthiest city I've ever been to.

If I had a list of real places for expats, it would include Panama, Columbia, and Portugal. My favorite beach in the world used to be Playa del Carman in Mexico,...but the Americans "found" it about 15 years ago,...and as Americans do,...ruined it.

The worse place for a Caucasian to retire is Hawaii,...the most hateful, racist place I've been. Beautiful place, but stay away from Hawaiians,...and don't go to beaches alone or with a sweetheart,...only go in groups. I lived in Hawaii for one year, and verbally assaulted nearly every day with words like "you f--- haole."

Northern Thailand, IMO, has the best people on Earth.

Nice to see such a balanced objective post whistling.gif

Bahrain and Singapore's Muslim Laws are ridiculous - which would those be then?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

Ocasionally people who live in Switzerland are asked how they enjoy living in Swaziland.

I have often been asked if i speak Swiss or Swedish.

Cooked left here 40 years ago - I arrived here 40 years ago!!

We do have summers - usually the temp gets up to the low 30's, it can get cold in the Winter but not too bad.

I have a rich Swedish friend who loves Switzerland, thinks it is the best place in the world, loves the Swiss banks alsoclap2.gif

One of my old friends, as someone who had lived and worked in many different countries, rated Malaysia (lived there for 6 years) way above Thailand as a place to live as a married expat with school age kids.

Schools, hospitals, infrastructure etc being better (this was in the '80's - 90's).

Obviously when we are young free and single we are looking for different things.

i heard that some hookers from bkk pattaya or phuket occasionally go for a working holiday to bahrain

... and Singapore and other parts of East Asia too

yes but since bahrain is one of the countries where sex out of marriage is a major offence....and its far....and a visa is needed...and there is no south east asian food....

i wonder how much money the hookers get to suffer this middle eastern holiday.,.....

Edited by kaobang

i heard that some hookers from bkk pattaya or phuket occasionally go for a working holiday to bahrain

....I strongly doubt that the presence, quality, and availability of prostitutes was one of the criteria used in compiling the list!w00t.gif

As someone who lives in Thailand but works overseas, the Thais have a very laissez faire attitude with regard to taxation. Some wealthy retiree acquaintances are in agreement on this matter, I would think that this could be a major concern in some of the other countries on the list, say Germany or NZ.for example.

I guess that all depends on who you listen to.. http://www.businessinsider.com/best-countries-for-expatriates-2014-10

Once again Switzerland top 4, Singapore top 6 & Hong Kong in the top 10.

Mexico # 3? I'm guessing it wasn't chosen for its high safety standards. Ditto for the PI at world number 8. Indonesia at 20, lol.

LOS 22

China 38

Bahrain 48

India 55

I guess that all depends on who you listen to.. http://www.businessinsider.com/best-countries-for-expatriates-2014-10

Mexico # 3? I'm guessing it wasn't chosen for its high safety standards. Ditto for the PI at world number 8. Indonesia at 20, lol.

LOS 22

China 38

Bahrain 48

India 55

It's illegal to use a water hose in Switzerland! I guess these places are for rich ex-pats! I've lived in a few countries and my favourite of all was Brasil (I lived 5 hours from Rio in a place called Ponte Grande Norte near Natal - no crime!) followed by Croatia

LOS 22

China 38

Bahrain 48

India 55

It's illegal to use a water hose in Switzerland! I guess these places are for rich ex-pats! I've lived in a few countries and my favourite of all was Brasil (I lived 5 hours from Rio in a place called Ponte Grande Norte near Natal - no crime!) followed by Croatia

"It's illegal to use a water hose in Switzerland!"

Erm no it isn't, show me a reputable source for this myth

LOS 22

China 38

Bahrain 48

India 55

Top Gear of course, although they may have been talking about washing cars!

Top Gear of course, although they may have been talking about washing cars!

Ah well if the great god Clarkson said it then it must be true wink.png

The not washing car on your drive is true and for Germany as well, its an eco thing to stop oil etc. washing into the normal sewer system, you can only wash them at a special car wash with overly complicated treatment systems

This and other things is what's happening in those fine Western countries, Expat's paradises...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Switzerland-to-nix-stripper-visas-30246098.html

Switzerland to nix 'stripper' visas
Switzerland announced Wednesday that it would stop issuing special work permits for foreign strippers, who hail from countries such as Russia, the Dominican Republic and Thailand.

Western countries have been experiencing such massive erosion of freedom in the last 50 years, it's staggering.

They regulate everything, tax everything, take all fun away, and give out so much money to everyone that income differences become too small and money becomes worthless, so that everything desirable is priced out of reach!

Glad I left, these countries will dry up and wrinkle.

Edited by manarak

LOS 22

China 38

Bahrain 48

India 55

That's a deal breaker for me; the freedom to water hose has always been at the top of my priority list in choosing a country to live in. OTOH Thailand recognizes how essential this is and even installs them in hotel bathrooms. I'm sure TGs would be lost in Switzerland as to how to wash up without one. How do Swiss females get by?

• Like 1

LOS 22

China 38

Bahrain 48

India 55

That's a deal breaker for me; the freedom to water hose has always been at the top of my priority list in choosing a country to live in. OTOH Thailand recognizes how essential this is and even installs them in hotel bathrooms. I'm sure TGs would be lost in Switzerland as to how to wash up without one. How do Swiss females get by?

quite nicely by the look of them!! The water hose thing is a wind up from Top Gear!

I left the place after 40 years and only miss a few things.

But they do make exceedingly good chocolate …

And don't forget the Cuckoo Clocks,and wall to wall Secret Bank accounts!smile.png

Have a look at post #41. I had no idea Cuckoo clocks weren't actually Swiss.

I left the place after 40 years and only miss a few things.

But they do make exceedingly good chocolate …

And don't forget the Cuckoo Clocks,and wall to wall Secret Bank accounts!smile.png

Have a look at post #41. I had no idea Cuckoo clocks weren't actually Swiss.

Hmm! seems most are made in Germany.

• Like 1