Short term internet solution?

jiangaq

My friend will be coming to CM for about 1 month, he will stay in a condo he rented, but no have wifi due to short term rent.

Any cheaper solution to get wifi? I have heard 3BB is 6m needed at least. How about air card+sim card solution? Which company of air card and sim card package is better?

Thanks!

AIS may be the way to go. They have offices at Kad Suan Kaew and Maya that I know of. They can sell him a dongle thingy and aircard that he can use with his devices. I'm not a real tech whiz, but we have one of those dongles to use when our primary internet service temporarily dies or when I want to use the netbook on-the-go at a gov't hospital without free wifi. (haha -- that's a joke, free wifi in the wards at Suan Dok hospital)

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

AIS may be the way to go. They have offices at Kad Suan Kaew and Maya that I know of. They can sell him a dongle thingy and aircard that he can use with his devices. I'm not a real tech whiz, but we have one of those dongles to use when our primary internet service temporarily dies or when I want to use the netbook on-the-go at a gov't hospital without free wifi. (haha -- that's a joke, free wifi in the wards at Suan Dok hospital)

Thanks.

How much for the aircard and sim card package? Is there 1 month package?

I think the AIS dongle itself was about 800 baht and you could buy airtime for a month at a time for about 400-500 baht.

Now that they've closed their big office on Thapae Rd., they 've opened little offices in malls and elsewhere and all their customer service staff with English language skills seem to have been let go. You may need to bring someone along with Thai language skills if you're not good with Thai or listening to someone speak English with minimal competency in explaining contract options.

What kind of phone does your friend have?... If it's a smartphone you can use the hotspot function on the phone to create a wifi tether to your computer... I have an iPhone.Macbook Air with 4G from True H that works great

Note 4G is very limited as it is new...

• Like 1

I used to have the AIS dongle that plugs into the USB port. But that does not support Androids (well at least that's what I was told by AIS?) I junked my aircard and bought AIS's pocket WiFi. Much better solution as a back-up and can use any of my devices that support WiFi. Speed, depends if you have a good solid 3G connection then good enough for most applications but not for video streaming. If you only can receive Edge connection then sloooow.

http://www.ais.co.th/pocketwifi/