buying a motor with just a Tourist Visa

rayinkrabi

All you require is the Letter of Residence from your embassy. This then allows the address shown on the letter to be used on the registration book.

I had to go this route when I purchased my first vehicle here. The cost of the letter from embassy was about £10 but that was a few years ago

• Like 1

All you require is the Letter of Residence from your embassy. This then allows the address shown on the letter to be used on the registration book.

I had to go this route when I purchased my first vehicle here. The cost of the letter from embassy was about £10 but that was a few years ago

and that was 10 pounds to much considering the very small amount of work involved

i expect the fee now is probably more like 40 quid champers and caviar is pricey now

• Like 2

and that was 10 pounds to much considering the very small amount of work involved

i expect the fee now is probably more like 40 quid champers and caviar is pricey now

I didn't think it was too much at the time. I needed it to get a new vehicle registered and I was only here for a fortnight visit. Ever since I have been using my WP which meant the letter is no longer required.

Factor the cost of the letter into your new vehicle purchase and it's a little bit like looking at airport tax on an airfare.

I didn't think it was too much at the time. I needed it to get a new vehicle registered and I was only here for a fortnight visit. Ever since I have been using my WP which meant the letter is no longer required.

Factor the cost of the letter into your new vehicle purchase and it's a little bit like looking at airport tax on an airfare.

\sorry i cannot link airport tax with the embassy fee totally different as for w.p. i am sure you encountered a fee for that also factoring the cost into an already vastly over priced vehicle i suppose you could make your tenner disappear my point was the extortionate fees levied by the embassy

I bought a new scooter 5 years ago in Phuket. I just had a tourist visa and the dealer put everything through.

No issues. At the time I did not know I needed a residency certificate from immigration. I still had no issues.

The second I bought 18 months ago. I did get my residency certificate. No issues. Also on a tourist visa.

Hi Roath, I am looking to buy a vehicle here but have been put off because I come on a 30 day visa was told I could not buy. But you seem to be saying that I just have to go to any imm office with a few receipts from the hotel I am staying at, at the time and ask for a residency certificate correct?.

Then I can buy

What happens if later I want to sell it but I have moved on from the hotel, Any problems?

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, I am new to all of this so any help/advice will be appreciated regarding documents etc.

Thanks to you and any others who answer this.

You will pay 200 Bt at Immigration...some places 300 Bt....not a lot in the difference from 10 quid but miniscule when compared to the price of the car or motorbike....and cheap for the pleasure and convenience of having either.

Hi Roath, I am looking to buy a vehicle here but have been put off because I come on a 30 day visa was told I could not buy. But you seem to be saying that I just have to go to any imm office with a few receipts from the hotel I am staying at, at the time and ask for a residency certificate correct?.

Then I can buy

What happens if later I want to sell it but I have moved on from the hotel, Any problems?

Sorry if I seem a bit thick, I am new to all of this so any help/advice will be appreciated regarding documents etc.

Thanks to you and any others who answer this.

if you sell it in the future you need another residency certificate, does not matter if you moved hotels or house

It does now seem without doubt that a non-Thai can indeed register a vehicle in there name on a Tourist Visa. I should explain my confusion on this subject as there is so much mis-information out there, ie, this quote from this website, http://www.chiangraiprovince.com/guide/index.php?page=p61

"Buying a vehicle and registering it is easy if you have a non-immigrant visa and either a work permit or a proof of address form. If you have a tourist visa you cannot own a vehicle in your own name.

This is contradicted by this website, http://www.siammotorworld.com/paperwork/

"a car can be registered with any visa, tourist, non-immigrant “O” “B” or retirement visa."

There are many others giving conflicting advise out there, I can't be bothered to copy & paste them all but I think you get my drift. My question still stands tho, when was this changed? or has it always been the case that you can register on a Tourist Visa?