Bicycle lanes welcome, but misuse must be prevented: Thai politics

webfact

That's exactly why its not a proper bike lane. A proper bike lane does not exist on a foot path and wind its way all over the place around telephone poles and other obstacles. That "lane" is a sick joke.

Most sides walks in Chiang Mai are like that,...not only around the queerest obstacles,...but then advertisers attach huge signs to these obstructions,...furthering the ridiculousness. Gen Prayut,...Return Happiness to Pedestrians!

Did you know that that the left side on part of Sukhumvit pathway actually has a dedicated bicycle lane?

Yes I kow, it is hard to see it and navigate because of all the motobikes, vendors and pieces fo crap littering the lane. Start clearing the bicycle lanes that are already here and enforcing the law first before coming up with new ones.

That's not a bike lane! its another joke! just a green line painted on the foot path that disappears from time to time. In what civilized country are you allowed to ride on a footpath? I couldn't even do that for 100 meters in front of my building in NY or I would risk getting a $200 fine from the police even though the sidewalk was empty.

There is a proper bike lane between Thonhlor and Phrom Phong. Its has a bike painted in it and is in the middle of the pavement.

Work out that the rest of the pavement is full of trees and pot plants on the road side and food stalls to the inside, it soon becomes clear that pedestrians have no right of way along that stretch at all.

That's exactly why its not a proper bike lane. A proper bike lane does not exist on a foot path and wind its way all over the place around telephone poles and other obstacles. That "lane" is a sick joke.

The bike lane doesn't wind its way around anything. It is a lovely straight line. Its the pedestrians who have to negotiate the twists and turns.

Wow what a joke, they have put these things in all over America and all it does is screw up traffic more. They put one in a suburb of Minnesota called Edina and it made the lanes to narrow for cars. The older or senior drives could not adjust and were having head on collisions. Total insanity what our local politicians will do .

• Like 1

"In order to "return happiness" to cyclists, the prime minister should make sure that not only new bike lanes are built but measures are introduced to protect the routes from misuse"

Not sure about BKK, but in Chiang Mai there are numerous lanes marked with a bicycle insignia designating them for bicycles. That is if you can see the insignias with all the tuk tuks and cars using them for parking. When these lanes are open, motor bikes, tuk tuk, autos, etc. drive in them.

The chance of protecting the routes from misuse are between Slim and none, and I heard Slim just left Thailand for good.giggle.gif

There is a very well-defined cycle lane on the right side of Tha Pae Road , all the way down to the road junction where Boots pharmacy and Starbucks is and drivers along that section have absolutely no concerns about overtaking a vehicle and driving right over the bicycle lane, even when it is occupied by cyclists.

There is a halfway decent bike lane, painted red for some reason, between saphan put and wong wian yai on the thonburi side. But it is right over sewer covers and lots of tuk tuks motorcycles and taxis like to park on it.

Cameras same one they use for bus lane infringement in the UK one picture and 1000 baht after a few fines people will learn but being caught and handing over 100 Baht to a corrupt police man wont teach anyone to stay of the cycle lanes and imagine the cash coming in from all the motorbikes during the rush hour easy money to purchase more cameras and make new cycle lanes, and all done automatically.

You are describing law and order, enforcement, discipline, and a penalty for incorrect behavior. Those things are virtually non-existent here. What good are the cameras if you cannot get people to pay fines. The entire judicial system here is almost completely broken.

• Like 2

Cycling ????

Oh yes real safe...... NOT........

Thailand is a lot of things but Bike Friendly it's not.....

About two years ago, that young British Couple cycled around the world, only to be knocked down and killed in Thailand, the driver got off with a small fine ????

Sad or what....

Learn people basic safety skills , then start the Cycling campaign...

I've been cycling in Bangkok for almost 6 years and it is my primary and nearly exclusive means of transportation. I don't advocate anyone's cycling in Bangkok unless they are very careful and maintain situational awareness at all times and learn to avoid dangerous situations.

As sad the deaths of the two tour cyclists was, they were playing "cycling roulette" by mixing with high speed traffic or long periods of time - something I avoid and when I do, I am extremely careful to the point of paranoia (if not just defensive). I have both a right and left rear view mirrors and use them. They won't necessarily save me, but provide an early warning to give me time to abandon the road if I feel it is necessary.

• Like 1

"In order to "return happiness" to cyclists, the prime minister should make sure that not only new bike lanes are built but measures are introduced to protect the routes from misuse"

Not sure about BKK, but in Chiang Mai there are numerous lanes marked with a bicycle insignia designating them for bicycles. That is if you can see the insignias with all the tuk tuks and cars using them for parking. When these lanes are open, motor bikes, tuk tuk, autos, etc. drive in them.

The chance of protecting the routes from misuse are between Slim and none, and I heard Slim just left Thailand for good.giggle.gif

In Chiang Mai, there also needs to be "Return of Happiness" for pedestrians, who are constantly endangered when having to walk in the roadway because of motorbikes and vehicles parked on the sidewalks.

I'd suggest that a "Pedestrian Endangerment Fine" is past due for implementation. The fine should be at least B2000,...and the billions collected could be used to build bike paths.

On Sukhumvit Soi 16, an almost worst-case scenario for Bangkok roadway mayhem, a large span of sidewalk has been completely commandeered by lunch-hour restaurants forcing people to walk in the roadway (narrow, two-lane). Often, Thai and farang alike, will walk on the road (in this span and others) with their backs to traffic, causing a danger to both themselves and vehicular traffic which must wait or go into opposing traffic to avoid them. Many, if not most, of these pedestrians get offended and argumentative when I remind them how dangerous their behavior is to themselves and to others.

It sound like utopia. I used the bicycle in the Netherlands a lot. Still have two of them in the garage.One for daily city trips and one for relax in the weekends. But here in Thailand I wouldn't think an any of this.

To start with all that sit not in a concrete truck is free to kill on the road. Thai people have no respect for other road users.Before you start let bicycles on the road make the roads safer and most of all educate the road users.

Education, or better the lack of it, make that so many people end here to soon in the temple crematoria.

'We just hope that more safe bike lanes will be built and they will not be encroached on by motorcyclists and street vendors.' Hell, they have encroached on pavements for years; why should bike lanes get special treatment? Especially given that bike lanes - and bikes - themselves currently encroach on pavements.

The one aspect of Thai life that the general NEVER seems to take into account is enforcement. He never considers this. What is the point of all of his silly "thai happimess" ideas, if they cannot be followed up with law and order? What happiness proposals is he making for the prevention of greedy sidewalk or bike path hogs?

Some lovely bike lanes along Sukhumvit between Thonglor and Phrom Pong. Sadly so many cars now park on the pavement even the motocycle guys have to use the roads.

Yes they are but the leave no room for pedestrians.

Any proposals are meaningless unless they can be policed and enforced. When Thai drivers do not know what a single or double unbroken line down the centre of a road means then there is little hope for anyone riding a bicycle.

I see many reactions like this................policed and enforced

If you educate people you don t need that because they understand, see the positive side, enjoy the better fresh air quality, with a road is for bicycles.

post-188855-0-99191400-1414150608_thumb.

It sound like utopia. I used the bicycle in the Netherlands a lot. Still have two of them in the garage.One for daily city trips and one for relax in the weekends. But here in Thailand I wouldn't think an any of this.

To start with all that sit not in a concrete truck is free to kill on the road. Thai people have no respect for other road users.Before you start let bicycles on the road make the roads safer and most of all educate the road users.

Education, or better the lack of it, make that so many people end here to soon in the temple crematoria.

It's called the barbecue!!

Any proposals are meaningless unless they can be policed and enforced. When Thai drivers do not know what a single or double unbroken line down the centre of a road means then there is little hope for anyone riding a bicycle.

I see many reactions like this................policed and enforced

If you educate people you don t need that because they understand, see the positive side, enjoy the better fresh air quality, with a road is for bicycles.

I see that is a fantasy drawing and not a photograph of a real-life experience. You can 'educate' all you want but Thais do as they please. The more you demand, the more stubborn they become. Have you spent much time interacting with Thai people? Tell Thai motorists they must use the bicycle lanes and then they will be clear of all but bicycles.

In latter part of 1972 and early part of 1973, I rode a bicycle all over Udon Thanii. Only hit once on the rear wheel by a baht truck.

A police officer seized the drivers license, told me to get my bike fixed at my favorite bicycle shop, then go to police station and tell him it was fixed.

Other that than one mishap, biking around Udon was safe to do. I never rode in Bangkok much, just the surburban streets near my apartment.

Bike lanes are being installed in citys all over the world...Thailand has no biking culture but the bike lanes will

be installed over time whether they or used or not...

If they can install bike lanes in Los Angeles the car capital of the world they can do it in Bangkok...

Never been in chanthaburi? the have a really great and new road/bicycle road there...better then most off road in europe.. searching on google and you wil see

The big-name - Chaloem Burapha Chonlathit Coast Highway - runs from Trat through Chanthaburi to Rayong province and continues to be extended in the 4 years we've been riding here

Marked red asphalt (though fading to pink) both sides of road, plus on numerous 'detours' to beaches, about 200km

I pedaled 1,014km around Chan last month, September 2014, much of it on these roads

Well promoted for tourism with organised/supported cycle tours of mainly Thai cyclists as well as regular Euro/UK tours, as well as many local club rides and individual/self-managed cycle tourists; a common trip is ex-Bangkok take the bus to Khlung (north of Trat city) and from there to the coast highway and head up to Ban Phe, bus back to Bkk.

tumblr_ncl01cfi5l1r8w5s5o2_r1_500.jpg

Latest extension - a 2.5km no-exit from Chao Lao to Laem Sadet - pedestrian walkway, cycle lane separated from motorvehicle roadway

tumblr_n2k42rNsnA1r8w5s5o2_500.jpgtumblr_n2k42rNsnA1r8w5s5o4_500.jpg

Coast highway at Khung Wiman, Chan province

tumblr_n2k42rNsnA1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

And for racers:

Chanthaburi - East Coast Challenge Cycle Race

Cycling road race 16 November 2014 following the coast highway (Chaloem Burapha Chonlathit Road) from Rayong to Khung Wiman bay (Chanthaburi) and return, total 151km. Also a ‘couples’ option 117km return.

Edited by gomangosteen