19-year-old killed in brawl at rock concert in Thailand

webfact

Over the past years Pathum Thani has featured in many incidents of significant violence. It has all the appeal of the dark side of the moon.

Come and live here - some parts are very nice, in fact most parts.

The USA has featured in many incidents of significant violence, so has India, the UK, Australia etc etc.

Wake up - the world is a violent place and if you are unlucky you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I felt more concern in English city centers on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday late night than I've ever done in Pathum Thani.

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, often these concerts end up turning ugly, hence never will go to them. They seem to attract a certain type, who like to get wrecked and look for trouble.

remember the Raggea concert two or three years ago in Cha Am?

Yep, that's another good example. Mrs T has always warned about going to these types of things as the propensity for little Somchai getting wrecked and starting a fight is pretty high.

Not really missing much to be honest, not as if the music scene in Thailand is anything special.

Thailand is rapidly earning a reputation as being a dangerous place for tourists, as well as residents, and the government needs to act urgently to address this situation.

Clearly there is something radically wrong with the culture of a country where the murder rate is four or five times that of most Western states and where a rape is committed every 15 minutes, according to official statistics (which are generally accepted as showing only the tip of the iceberg).]

The plague of violence is Thailand's equivalent of Ebola, and the effects could be just as damaging.

Beefing up security as has happened in the wake of two recent highly-publicised incidents - the 13-year-old Thai girl raped and murdered on a train and the British couple attacked and killed on Koh Tao - may be good public relations. But they do nothing to address the roots of a problem which appears to be spiraling beyond the control of the forces of law and order.

Until the causes have been identified and sensible, long solutions implemented which focus on education and parenting, rather than knee jerk gestures like women-only trains, the mayhem will continue - and horror stories such as the latest fatal stabbing of a youth at a music concert will increasingly become an unpalatable part of our daily diet.

To do nothing is not an option - the consequences for social cohesion and the tourist industry so essential for Thailand's economic well-being, will be dire.

Time for another crack down and a road map that really leads somewhere..

This is not just a Thailand problem.

Having had my own security company back home that provided security (not thugs) it has become the norm.

From the early days of fissticuffs it has turned into something very sinister.

Kudos to the ;police on this occasion for wrapping it up so quickly and efficiently.

No matter how good they are they will NEVER stop everyone who wants to carry a weapon.

Whats needed is a change of mindset in the youth of today.

• Like 2

I still can't believe they actually stationed 50 police officers at a rock festival, I wonder how much the concert organizers had to pay for that?

At least they captured the suspects quickly, reading stories like this makes me worry about my 11 year old starting to go out with friends to things like this with his mates in a few years.

I know how you feel, I'm starting to have the same worries for my young sons.

Over the past years Pathum Thani has featured in many incidents of significant violence. It has all the appeal of the dark side of the moon.

The USA has featured in many incidents of significant violence, so has India, the UK, Australia etc etc.

Wake up - the world is a violent place and if you are unlucky you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I felt more concern in English city centers on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday late night than I've ever done in Pathum Thani.

Comeon !

Ma family wanted to buy a villa there, not far from this area,

than one realiced, my father in law had some Buddha amulets around his neck;

One of the neighbours told him: dont buy here,

we are a RED area !!

We didn't buy it,

even the villa were 2wice worth the sales price !!

This is Pathum Thani !

Red Bustards everywhere from .... thks .....

I still can't believe they actually stationed 50 police officers at a rock festival, I wonder how much the concert organizers had to pay for that?

At least they captured the suspects quickly, reading stories like this makes me worry about my 11 year old starting to go out with friends to things like this with his mates in a few years.

I know how you feel, I'm starting to have the same worries for my young sons.

Me tooooooooooooooooo !! ( still have time, he now 8 )

Thailand is rapidly earning a reputation as being a dangerous place for tourists, as well as residents, and the government needs to act urgently to address this situation.

Clearly there is something radically wrong with the culture of a country where the murder rate is four or five times that of most Western states and where a rape is committed every 15 minutes, according to official statistics (which are generally accepted as showing only the tip of the iceberg).]

The plague of violence is Thailand's equivalent of Ebola, and the effects could be just as damaging.

Beefing up security as has happened in the wake of two recent highly-publicised incidents - the 13-year-old Thai girl raped and murdered on a train and the British couple attacked and killed on Koh Tao - may be good public relations. But they do nothing to address the roots of a problem which appears to be spiraling beyond the control of the forces of law and order.

Until the causes have been identified and sensible, long solutions implemented which focus on education and parenting, rather than knee jerk gestures like women-only trains, the mayhem will continue - and horror stories such as the latest fatal stabbing of a youth at a music concert will increasingly become an unpalatable part of our daily diet.

To do nothing is not an option - the consequences for social cohesion and the tourist industry so essential for Thailand's economic well-being, will be dire.

Do all the Thai apologists that have chimed in want to try to defend the murder rate (4 or 5 times more than the west). or do you just say its Thai bashing ?

tribal? not at all, it is the fault of the parents not teaching their offspring right from wrong. asian sons are treated special,they are spoiled, get what they want do what they want say what they want. after their formative years they are the way they are for the rest of there lives. these are the ones we read about, drunks, thiefs,lazy,gangbangers,killers ect.the young men that were pushed to do good and be good by mom& pop you never hear about them. to busy working, making babies, taking care of family. lived all ofer asia for 14 years, same every where,crapy parents = crapy son.

• Like 1

It's always a few bad apples that ruin it for everyone else. At our yearly winter fair, or should I say Ex-winter fair, these <deleted> have ruined it too many times so it is no more at present time. Used to be a grand time with music,family and friends. Last year it was big firecrackers that sent the people running in panic, year before it was teen gangs from one small village attacking the other village, so Pooyai says NO more!

This is not a Thailand thing.

I got stabbed myself in my country (Montreal, Canada) outside a nightclub after asking a group of 3 guys if they knew where the subway was...

This is a major problem worldwide: people drink and start acting arrogant and always look for trouble.

Same thing happens in Papua New Guinea. Big concerts and sing-sings are a hazard, and on pay nights small axes are the order of the day.

The only difference in customs appears to be that one group is darker skinned and often wear feathers in their hair and carry a large cane-cutting knife.

The other group dress neatly, have a smart phone in their hands 24/7, and carry smaller knives. Both groups are very tribal and turn violent for the smallest reason.

I've seen the same thing happen in Arnhem land when the royalty checks get cashed and a few different tribes come to the major town to buy cars etc- stabbings, spearings, rapes...all good fun and par for the course.

Firstly, let me say how sorry I am for the family of the person who died in a moment of stupidity, he is dead and their suffering will be endless. May he rest in peace and their grief pass.

Secondly, why is it that some, many in fact on this forum seem to think that everything that happens here is specifically a Thai problem.

Brawls and fights

Murder

Corrupt police

Mounting unsolved crime

Women who want to fleece you

immigration problems

Stupid and inept policy

The list goes on and according to many members they are all things pecluliar to Thailand..

Of course this is not so, they happen all over the world. In fact Thailand is one of the safer places to live.

I am sixty one and I have seen innocent people stabbed or have a glass pushed in their faces, football violence, mods and rockers, sharpies, paki bashing and violence at rock concerts. I've seen innocent people attacked on trains, i've seen elderly shop keepers smashed in the face with a baseball bat.

How many of you would feel safe walking around London, Newcastle in Australia, George street in Sydney or Glasgow on a saturday night.

So please, think of the lad who is dead and his family and wake up from your fantasy world for a moment.

Ebola, crackdown, horror story, you make me laugh, or at leat I would laugh if it wasnt so sad. Wake up its a world thing not a Thai thing.

Comeon !

we are a RED area !!

We didn't buy it,

This is Pathum Thani !

Ooooh those naughty reds, at it again.

This stuff happens all the time at rural concerts. I've seen police shoot in the air to break up a fight. It's an Asian thing I think. If you watch movies from HK or Taiwan, there always big group fights with blades and bats.

Your right, it happens all the time. My wife refuses to let me go to concerts anymore. The last one I went to some idiot let of some sort of firecracker bomb. However, it isnt only an Asian thing.

Thais and alcohol just dont mix!

I have to agree with you there, but it isnt only Thais and alcohol that dont mix. Some cultures cannot consume alcohol their metabolism isnt made for it. However, just as big a problem is the binge drinking practiced by young people all over the world to disaterous affect.

I don't know who the performers were, but please don't class it as 'Rock' as it was probably nothing of the sort.

Still how sad....

Try reading the original post: it clearly says it was a Paradox concert.

Then try a little research: according to Wikipedia their genre is "alternative rock/indie rock".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_%28Thai_band%29

But as you say, "Very sad".

Comeon !

we are a RED area !!

We didn't buy it,

This is Pathum Thani !

Load of old <deleted> mate. If someone told your family that they were pricks.

Sure there are plenty of red shirt PTP supporters here; and plenty of yellow shirts; and plenty who are pissed off at both and want to see some real changes.

As all provinces, in most countries, there are different types of areas with a different social mix. Rangsit and Lam Luk Ka are better IMO than the parts nearer the river.

I don't know who the performers were, but please don't class it as 'Rock' as it was probably nothing of the sort.

Still how sad....

Try reading the original post: it clearly says it was a Paradox concert.

Then try a little research: according to Wikipedia their genre is "alternative rock/indie rock".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_%28Thai_band%29

But as you say, "Very sad".

Reudoo rawn was quite popular from them a while back and is a favourite in Karaokes.

http://youtu.be/_eyXoyBKgg4?t=1m20s