Overheated Northbridge

MrSnrang

So, this morning I decided to pop a DVD into my computer. As soon as I did so, the computer immediately shut down. I opened the case and went to touch the northbridge heatsink. It was searing hot, like the hood of a car.

No it will power up, but does not appear to boot up. The optical mouse LED won't light up, the heyboard lights won't blink like normal, and worst of all the onboard graphics card won't send a signal to the monitor. All this said, the IDE LED does light up, but not blink.

My hardware configuration is:

- Celeron 2.4 socket 478 with thin copper blade heatsink and fan capped at 9000 RPM (Idles at 27 Celcius)

- 40 and 80 GB Samsung HDDs

- 256 MB DDR

- Samsung CD-RW DVD-ROM drive

- Asus P4SGX MB

- Onboard graphics and sound

- 450W PSU

Nothing is overclocked.

Does anybody know what might have caused this? Am I completely fUx0r3d?

could be also the power supply or the harddisk, or or or....

Would take it to Panthip placa or simillar place, they can swap parts till they found the faulty one....

So, this morning I decided to pop a DVD into my computer. As soon as I did so, the computer immediately shut down. I opened the case and went to touch the northbridge heatsink. It was searing hot, like the hood of a car.

No it will power up, but does not appear to boot up. The optical mouse LED won't light up, the heyboard lights won't blink like normal, and worst of all the onboard graphics card won't send a signal to the monitor. All this said, the IDE LED does light up, but not blink.

- Celeron 2.4 socket 478 with thin copper blade heatsink and fan capped at 9000 RPM (Idles at 27 Celcius)

- 256 MB DDR

- Asus P4SGX MB

- 450W PSU

Nothing is overclocked.

Would take it to Panthip placa or simillar place, they can swap parts till they found the faulty one....

- 256 MB DDR

- Asus P4SGX MB

- 450W PSU

Nothing is overclocked.

greetings,

"Celeron 2.4 socket 478 with thin copper blade heatsink and fan capped at 9000 RPM (Idles at 27 Celcius)"

THe temp reading 0f 27C seems suspect - even the best fan assisted heat sinks seldom provide that low a running temp. Before inserting the dvd , how long had PC been running and what tasks were being performed ? I presumed you disconnected the DVD player following the shut down and tried to reboot again. I would certainly look at the DVD player as a major suspect in this crime ; if it locked on startup and tried to play it may have shorted. Change the IDE cable from Mb to DVd .

As Romans were want to utter " Nill illigitimi carborundum !" or in the North, Cesar was heard : "Non illigitamus carborundum !!" On a bad day Taliaferro expleted " Noli nothis permittere te terere!!!"java script:emoticon(':huh:', 'smid_11')

:o

- 256 MB DDR

- Asus P4SGX MB

- 450W PSU

Nothing is overclocked.

greetings,

"Celeron 2.4 socket 478 with thin copper blade heatsink and fan capped at 9000 RPM (Idles at 27 Celcius)"

THe temp reading 0f 27C seems suspect - even the best fan assisted heat sinks seldom provide that low a running temp. Before inserting the dvd , how long had PC been running and what tasks were being performed ? I presumed you disconnected the DVD player following the shut down and tried to reboot again. I would certainly look at the DVD player as a major suspect in this crime ; if it locked on startup and tried to play it may have shorted. Change the IDE cable from Mb to DVd .

As Romans were want to utter " Nill illigitimi carborundum !" or in the North, Cesar was heard : "Non illigitamus carborundum !!" On a bad day Taliaferro expleted " Noli nothis permittere te terere!!!"java script:emoticon(':huh:', 'smid_11')

:o

27 seems suspect, but possible under the following ideas:

OP is a nordic farang and has 20 degree in his room

the sensor gives 3 degree wrong reading, makes it 30

The bios has a bug and shows 5 degree to less (I had that on one asus board, a bios updated fixed that and it was also mentioned in the readme), makes it real 35. Which is also low but possible.