Looking for a Foreign Currency Account with a local Thai bank.

Good luck with that As far as I know all Thai banks work with Thai Baht.I mean of course they'll change money.

But as far as bank accounts go they do it in Thai baht.

I guess you are not up to date.

Local Thai banks offer so called "foreign currency accounts" for e.g. EURO, USD, HKD...

• Like 2

Bank of Ayudha / Krungsri

I have a GBP and USD Foreign Currency Account. I can transfer money straight into them and hold in GBP or USD and then convert all or part balance when the e/r is good.

The bank charges here are GBP 10 equivalent which I pay when setting up the transfer. No extra charges on receipt when converting to THB and moving to one of my baht accounts. There is a minimum balance of equivalent GBP 350 / USD 500 which must be maintained.

Good luck with that As far as I know all Thai banks work with Thai Baht.I mean of course they'll change money.

But as far as bank accounts go they do it in Thai baht.

As far as you know seems to be the tip of your toes. :D

I have had 2 different US$ account in Thailand. With all the rules, regulations, and extra cost issues the last think you want is a US$ account in Thailand. Check all the details including deposit issues and withdrawal issues.

I am paid in $US into my $US account, last year I was paid in GBP into my GBP account no charges in or when I change to Tb. Only when I send money to UK then normal charges apply.

SCB an Sai 2.

Op I think you will find all the banks charge for a cash deposit to a foreign currency account and my guess would be all at 1%.

If you want to keep it in foreign currency and not pay charges your only option is to put it under the mattress or similar laugh.png - or keep it in your own country bank.

Thrilled : you are giving out wrong information. Amazing for a poster with over 2000 postings. You are well out of date. Most of the good thai Banking Institutions

offer a Foreign Currency receiving Account. Sedn money in your currency held in the International Account until you are ready to convert when the rates are good

into local Thai currency.

It's crazy.... I thought of doing it many times.. It's better just to keep it in baht which pays interest and then change to foreign currency at super rich when needed.

Any transferring that needs to be done can be done online while keeping your foreign currency in its original country. IMHO

"Usually local Thai banks charge 1% for foreign cash deposit"

If you walk into a Thai bank with a bunch foreign currency my guess is that they would not allow you to add it to an FCD.

Depending on your circumstances (e.g. Thai employment) the bank would allow you to transfer from a Baht account to your FCD.

"Usually local Thai banks charge 1% for foreign cash deposit"

If you walk into a Thai bank with a bunch foreign currency my guess is that they would not allow you to add it to an FCD.

Depending on your circumstances (e.g. Thai employment) the bank would allow you to transfer from a Baht account to your FCD.

Wrong guess - see here for Bangkok Bank as an example http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/ForeignCurrencyAccount/Pages/FCDFees.aspx

Some currencies they even charge more than 1% for cash sad.png