U-Lock?

burnalot

You can supposedly freeze them with medical spray and then hit them with a hammer and shatter the lock. I have one, but I usually combine it with a cable lock. Hopefully, it would take a little longer and be more obvious to break both locks.

Yes yes - we all know that any type of security system can be defeated by a determined thief. But the idea is to make the thief move away to a softer target. You really think that the average robber carries a 'medical spray' ?

• Like 1

They certainly do in America and a lot of thieves specialize in bicycles. Some of these bikes are worth a LOT of money. I was a bicycle messenger when I was young in San Francisco, so I keep up with what is happening there, but I have been told that there are rings in Chiang Mai that do the same kind of stuff.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

You can supposedly freeze them with medical spray and then hit them with a hammer and shatter the lock. I have one, but I usually combine it with a cable lock. Hopefully, it would take a little longer and be more obvious to break both locks.

Yes yes - we all know that any type of security system can be defeated by a determined thief. But the idea is to make the thief move away to a softer target. You really think that the average robber carries a 'medical spray' ?

It does not take a determined thief to open a U-lock with a Biro and going equipped with a Biro would not bother a thief, as there is no way that it would stand up in court.

How easy is it to open a u-lock with a Biro, watch and see.

Not sure if they still make these anymore.

I know that after someone posted on e-bay how to open them with a Bic biro (very easily) their sales dropped drastically.

When that information got out the makers of the Kriptonite Ulock replaced the older locks for a newer version that was bic proof and at no charge mailed a free new Ulock to the owners. I even got to keep the older Ulock.

Edited by vagabond48

The biro in the zip of soft sided luggage is, sorry to say, a 'No-Brainer'--anything rammed into the zip will get you in.

Again--Off-Topic--but I only use hard sided luggage--my suitcase was robbed at Kabul Airport and I lost all my business sales items and samples.

The biro in the zip of soft sided luggage is, sorry to say, a 'No-Brainer'--anything rammed into the zip will get you in.

Again--Off-Topic--but I only use hard sided luggage--my suitcase was robbed at Kabul Airport and I lost all my business sales items and samples.

"No-brainer", until about 2 years ago, I was strictly a backpacker so I don't focus on luggage security. I suspect a lot of people like myself don't know about this easy flaw. I even bought a useless TSA approved lock last year for my newly purchased check-in luggage that didn't come with a built-in lock.

WOW.

This IS seriously depressing.

"If someone made it, someone else can break it" my father always says.

Here's my problem:

I now have an expensive motorcycle.

Yes, a team of people could LIFT it into a truck and drive away.

In North America, people put a lock and chain on the front tire.

Breaking a chain requires a chain breaking tool, and those are not only heavy, but pretty obvious if you're in the business of stealing.

And speaking of being in the business of stealing, I have NO DOUBT that there are rings of bike/motorbike theives in CM, their certainly was in Taipei, Taiwan.

So I'm not at somewhat of a loss as to what to do!

Apparently locking the motorbike steering wheel in position is ALSO a no-brainer to crack, as far as what I've heard.

It's a SPORT BIKE/crotch rocket, and there is no physical place to STORE a chain and lock.

My fear is not that someone will lift it from my house, or while I'm shopping at Big C.

My fear is leaving it overnight somewhere, because I'm pissed drunk and taking a taxi home!

(Hey! It happens!)

Any suggestions?

Sharktooth:

Thanks for that, I shall investigate.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot more than 120 dB to wake me up from my drunken stuper, and 20 km from where my bike is parked.

Cheers

If someone tries to nick your bike this noise will attract enough attention for them to do a runner. Seriously ear piercing. They sell them at the Kawasaki shop.

The shop called ¨Burning¨also sells them on Kaeo Nawarat Rd, thats the road that heads down to the bus station/terminal 2. Its just over the bridge about 200 metres on the left.

Not sure how prices compare with Kawasaki.

I also use the disc lock that attaches to your brake rotors.....however as they are pretty similar locks to these U Locks, they are probably only good against an honest thief!

As for cutting chains-sorry to be depressing but I have a very large bolt cropper, bought years ago for legitimate use and my neighbor recently lost his front door padlock key--I cut through the hasp of the padlock in about 10 seconds. Chain would be the same.

I like the super high decibel thing. Someone will hear that and hopefully investigate.