In the context of Thailand, what is a digital nomad?

phpsql

@ Moderating team

I think this thread has run its course. Kindly close it.

You may also wish to look carefully at your moderation policies, especially with regards to trolling and posting with the intent of derailing threads.

• Like 1

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with most posters here, I have nothing against these people as they don't affect my job or way of life here in any way. If I need a technical service for work, I will approach a well established company. If I need a website done, I will either do it myself or approach a well established company. Always been that way, always will be that way.

Plenty of well established companies are operated with very significant levels of remote workers. AMEX, AT&T, Cisco, Deloitte, IBM, Microsoft, Intel, RedHat, Canonical, Mozilla, Automattic, 37Signals, Github, StackExchange to name a few. Not talking outsourcing here, I'm talking Western rates working from home on a permanent basis wherever that may be in the world, and indeed travelling and working, ie 'nomadic'. It's a factor in many major companies these days - big perk.

Those well established companies you reference may well assign remote workers to your job, could be the guy that some people on here assume makes cash from fogging fake Louis Vuitton on eBay.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Or you could learn the markets and trade forex. More earning potential when you know what your doing

I do know FOREX traders in Thailand, but I'm not sure if they can be classed as "digital nomads". What do you think?

Frankly, I believe that successful traders need an office.

Well, I was a corporate trader in the past with licences for 4 regulated exchanges and trading 20 others (multi asset) - I can tell you that as a sole trader one doesn't need an office, especially if only trading very simple instruments such as currencies.

Before the Mods close it, what is ALBC please? I have been 'internet challenged' for several days and I am missing some of the newer, more subtle nuances of digital pikey baiting TV speak.

I believe the definition is in the TV Slang dictionary in pub

Before the Mods close it, what is ALBC please? I have been 'internet challenged' for several days and I am missing some of the newer, more subtle nuances of digital pikey baiting TV speak.

I believe the definition is in the TV Slang dictionary in pub
Reviewing the TV slang dictionary I see a definition of " ALBC" is still lacking

But if I remember correctly ALBC stands for Angry Little Boys Club,

I think it refers to those posters who are full of self entitlement and if get taken to task, they get very angry and start throwing hissy fits, like a little man child, stamping their little feet and stating its not fair, as far as I am aware a ALBCer may or may not be a digital pikeys as well in some cases

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

This was a misjustice in the freedoms of speak of each and all members.

Hark! A TEFL'er speaketh thus.

Don't confuse them, I don't think they study the works of the bard in their TEFL course :D

"Alas poor pikey I knew him well "

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As with most posters here, I have nothing against these people as they don't affect my job or way of life here in any way. If I need a technical service for work, I will approach a well established company. If I need a website done, I will either do it myself or approach a well established company. Always been that way, always will be that way.

Plenty of well established companies are operated with very significant levels of remote workers. AMEX, AT&T, Cisco, Deloitte, IBM, Microsoft, Intel, RedHat, Canonical, Mozilla, Automattic, 37Signals, Github, StackExchange to name a few. Not talking outsourcing here, I'm talking Western rates working from home on a permanent basis wherever that may be in the world, and indeed travelling and working, ie 'nomadic'. It's a factor in many major companies these days - big perk.

Those well established companies you reference may well assign remote workers to your job, could be the guy that some people on here assume makes cash from fogging fake Louis Vuitton on eBay.

So, these are digital nomads? They have the freedom to work from anywhere in the world remotely while under the employ of the established company?

Great! I really do think it is great that people can do that. Nothing against it.

But I will guarantee these are not the people making the songs and dances that they should be treated differently.

I would be very interested to see the policies or contracts from the established companies that you highlighted about remote working and the laws that govern work in the countries they represent said companies..........................wink.png

• Like 1

So, these are digital nomads? They have the freedom to work from anywhere in the world remotely while under the employ of the established company?

Great! I really do think it is great that people can do that. Nothing against it.

But I will guarantee these are not the people making the songs and dances that they should be treated differently.

I would be very interested to see the policies or contracts from the established companies that you highlighted about remote working and the laws that govern work in the countries they represent said companies..........................wink.png

They don't exist.

I work for an MNC in Thailand, and looking at some of the names mentioned, due to good corporate governance polices that will be in place within these companies, they would only employ a person directly in country where that person has right of abode or is legally permitted to work, its just not worth the hassle for say the likes of Microsoft to employ a foreigner directly who is living in Thailand and doesn't have a WP, big corporations they will not allow this to happen

So if there are foreigner's in Thailand working for say Microsoft 1 they either have a WP sponsored by Microsoft or 2 as the person is working remotely, he or she is not telling Microsoft were they are living

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would be very interested to see the policies or contracts from the established companies that you highlighted about remote working and the laws that govern work in the countries they represent said companies..........................

They don't exist.

rolleyes.gif Yeah, I know. I think the poster is getting mixed up with working from home and working from where they like.

• Like 1

Yes, they do. You can pretend to yourself that they do not, that's fine, but I can state categorically, having direct experience in such matters, that you are 100% incorrect. Of course nobody is going to post confidential agreements to ThaiVisa in order to disprove you, that would be stupid. But if you don't recognise that there is no legal reason why such contracts cannot exist, and that many do, you're simply burying your head in the sand.

The contracts I have seen do not tend to go into any detail regarding where the individual is located or will be located, since it is an irrelevance in the event the individual is not dealing with clients or representing the company to clients in that nation.

Sometimes these contracts are straight employment contracts, generally when this is the case the employee has citizenship and a social security number in the same country as the employer, receives payment in that country and is usually taxed as if they lived there.

Sometimes in the case where the employer and employee are from different countries, contracts are executed as consulting agreements via a b2b agreement, with the consultant making use of companies registered offshore and operating on an invoice basis. This is probably the most common solution, since it is simple to execute and the consultant's holding company becomes entirely responsible for adhering to any applicable employment and tax legislation.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

They are likely out source contract workers. Not direcf employees

Certainly, especially in the case where the citizenship of the consultant differs from that of the client. Does not detract from the fact that long term rolling remote consultancy agreements including equity to the consultant exist, with the consultant also being the sole director of the company that is contracted, and with benefits to the consultant via contractual agreement that are akin to permanent employment.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Certainly, especially in the case where the citizenship of the consultant differs from that of the client. Does not detract from the fact that long term rolling remote consultancy agreements including equity to the consultant exist, with the consultant also being the sole director of the company that is contracted, and with benefits to the consultant via contractual agreement that are akin to permanent employment.

As long as we know the difference and acknowledge that "akin to" does not and never, ever will mean "same as".

• Like 1

As long as we know the difference and acknowledge that "akin to" does not and never, ever will mean "same as".

Sure, however I have also seen direct employment contracts utilised when people work remotely from another country and indeed travel around. Rarer though - the other approach is a win/win for both client and consultant in many ways, since it entails far less beaurocracy.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Certainly, especially in the case where the citizenship of the consultant differs from that of lthe client. Does not detract from the fact that long term rolling remote consultancy agreements including equity to the consultant exist, with the consultant also being the sole director of the company that is contracted, and with benefits to the consultant via contractual agreement that are akin to permanent employment.

I don't doubt that but I think we are talking about a totally different type of worker. A lot on TVF are not real nomads.

Many are scratching around on ED visas, they are unlikely to be working for MNCs

No they are not, the work has been outsourced to a subcontracted company,

but seeing as you have brought this up, seeing as you say this is a kin to permanent employment, if a person is resident in Thailand and fulfilling the terms of this contract from Thailand, eg providing the service they are contacted to do, they are working / running a business in Thailand, ergo a WP is required

Edited by Soutpeel

Someone who has falsified an immigration document to obtain an ED visa multiple times to stay long term in Thailand and work is not nomadic, they are an illegal immigrant.

A nomad would be someone moving country to country short term as a tourist, earning some money online as they go along. I think we have established that the authorities aren't interested in that type of nomad. However ones as aforementioned, that are also working are clearly in breach of the regulations., these would be a Digital Pikey or Digicoy. They also seem to think that they should have privileges that other people who are here legally don't have.

I don't doubt that but I think we are talking about a totally different type of worker. A lot on TVF are not real nomads.

Many are scratching around on ED visas, they are unlikely to be working for MNCs

I'm happy that you seem to be coming round to the idea that some nomads are ok.

So if I spent say 179 days in Thailand, 179 in Vietnam, 2 in Phillippines, and lived like this for the next 30 years on tourist visas working online, legally avoiding tax for the rest of my life, what would be your thoughts on that?

Someone who has falsified an immigration document to obtain an ED visa multiple times to stay long term in Thailand and work is not nomadic, they are an illegal immigrant.

A nomad would be someone moving country to country short term as a tourist, earning some money online as they go along. I think we have established that the authorities aren't interested in that type of nomad. However ones as aforementioned, that are also working are clearly in breach of the regulations., these would be a Digital Pikey or Digicoy. They also seem to think that they should have privileges that other people who are here legally don't have.

I'm happy that you seem to be coming round to the idea that some nomads are ok.

So if I spent say 179 days in Thailand, 179 in Vietnam, 2 in Phillippines, and lived like this for the next 30 years on tourist visas working online, legally avoiding tax for the rest of my life, what would be your thoughts on that?

If you didn't have a WP you still would be working illegally in Thailand for those 179 days that's my thought ;) Edited by Soutpeel

No they are not, the work has been outsourced to a subcontracted company,

but seeing as you have brought this up, seeing as you say this is a kin to permanent employment, if a person is resident in Thailand and fulfilling the terms of this contract from Thailand, eg providing the service they are contacted to do, they are working / running a business in Thailand, ergo a WP is required

Debatable, particularly if they are operating via a non Thai entity. They are working remotely for that company, not operating a Thai business, servicing Thai clients or being paid in Thailand.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 2