Booking a train from Thailand to Malaysia for onward travel

I was reading the advice page on boarding a plane to Thailand without a return ticket:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/164409-paz/?tab=topics

It mentions: "Buy and print an international train ticket out of Thailand to Malaysia. That can be done online at https://intranet.ktm...cket/login.aspx with a minimum purchase 20 MYR. Credit to member MrY for this."

Has anyone tried booking trains through this website lately? I'm trying to book from Hat Yai to Butterworth but it's just giving me error messages and telling me that every service I am trying is unavailable

I should add, when I got to Malaysia they just stamped me through and gave me a tourist entry (Im from Australia) without any questions about onward travel tickets.

Also, I dont think there is a direct line Hat Yai to Butterworth but I could be wrong.

I should add, when I got to Malaysia they just stamped me through and gave me a tourist entry (Im from Australia) without any questions about onward travel tickets.

As often mentioned, the issue is about boarding flights to Thailand, not Immigration.

Also, I dont think there is a direct line Hat Yai to Butterworth but I could be wrong.

Yes there is, the SRT train. http://www.thairailways.com/train-station.hatyai.html

Edited by paz

Try any trainstation. You can buy tickets two months in advance from any (other) station to station.

Can get refund before departure.

Not possible, the need is to buy the ticket from a foreign country for the purpose described in the link by OP.

I was reading the advice page on boarding a plane to Thailand without a return ticket:

http://www.thaivisa....paz/?tab=topics

It mentions: "Buy and print an international train ticket out of Thailand to Malaysia. That can be done online at https://intranet.ktm...cket/login.aspx with a minimum purchase 20 MYR. Credit to member MrY for this."

Has anyone tried booking trains through this website lately? I'm trying to book from Hat Yai to Butterworth but it's just giving me error messages and telling me that every service I am trying is unavailable

Elliot,

A regular ticket in coach is only 13 MYR, so it can't be bought online. Buy a ticket to any major station from Hat Yai to Batu Gajah (20 MYR) and onwards and it should go through. See map on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keretapi_Tanah_Melayu. You may have to register, can't remember for sure. Let me know if it worked. [Edit: Also, it is a maximum of 60 days in advance. This should not matter if the ticket is only used as proof of onward ticket, as it makes no difference how many days you state you intend to stay. They will stamp your passport for the full duration of your visa anyway.]

MrY

Edited by MrY
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I have finally found some availability on the Hat Yai to Batu Gajah service (thank you MrY) for 34 MYR. However, I am still unable to book it.

After I've registered and signed in, I select the train service I want. It then asks me to add my passenger name, IC/ passport number. I type in the details (apart from the 'seat' as it doesn't give me any options to choose from). Then it keeps giving the same error message (see attached). Does anyone know what to do? I tried it in Firefox and IE but it doesnt make a difference.

By the way, I am not intending to make this journey, I merely need it as proof for onward travel.

post-224039-0-41193700-1414329289_thumb.

Thank you all for your replies. I have finally found some availability on the Hat Yai to Batu Gajah service (thank you MrY) for 34 MYR. However, I am still unable to book it.

After I've registered and signed in, I select the train service I want. It then asks me to add my passenger name, IC/ passport number. I type in the details (apart from the 'seat' as it doesn't give me any options to choose from). Then it keeps giving the same error message (see attached). Does anyone know what to do? I tried it in Firefox and IE but it doesnt make a difference.

By the way, I am not intending to make this journey, I merely need it as proof for onward travel.

You did see the post that it is not likely the airline will accept this as proof of onward travel right? You should easily be able to buy a ticket very cheap through AirAsia including Phuket to Malaysia for 100MYR and then you can be confident you don't have a problem.

Oh Boy, did they make it difficult or what..!

On the screen you were at it won't allow all the stations to be booked. And it turns out that against my advice Batu Gajah is not one of them even though it is a major station and the fare exceeds 20 MYR. I tried them one-by-one and the first one that would display in the COACH block (you can't proceed without it) is "ASC - Superior Class" to Parit Buntar at 25 MYR (one way, don't fill out the return). Click ADD, choose "New Passenger" from "Passenger Name:" drop-down, fill out your name and passport number, click SEAT for another pop-up, select L7 from another drop-down, choose your seat, click the SAVE button, and Voilà!, there are your payment options. Simple...

I guess I should write a proper guide to this.

I've used KTMB for onwards travel many times and never been refused by Airlines (I've used several to enter Thailand, been asked to show outbound ticket 3 times with 3 different airlines) or Thai Immigration (asked to see ticket once). It would seem kind of silly to book an airline ticket to go to Malaysia from Hat Yai, wouldn't it..?

Edited by MrY

Wow MrY, if you managed to work that one out, you could crack the enigma code! I was literally trying the whole of yesterday to book a ticket so thanks so much for 'cracking' it. If I get asked at the airport for proof of onward travel, I'll now have you to thank smile.png