Australian in Trat under watch for Ebola

Lite Beer

Australian in Trat under watch for Ebola
Thanapat Kijjakosol,
Poungchompoo Prasert
The Sunday Nation

Trat Hospital has been urged by the public health office to prepare to put a patient under investigation after a 47-year-old Australian man arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport from Congo on October 17 and was found to have a body temperature of 36.3 degrees Celsius.

The man has lived in Trat with his Thai wife for the past two years, so health authorities were advised to keep checking on him until November 5 - three weeks after he travelling out of a country "near the virus outbreak area". The man had returned to Thailand after work at an oil-drilling base in Congo.

Meanwhile, the result of a test on a 68-year-old British man, who died in Phuket, will reveal if he had the Ebola virus. The man had recently visited Nigeria. Authorities are adopting a cautious approach despite Nigeria being declared free from Ebola on October 20.

The Briton, who died in a Patong condo a few days before his body was discovered on October 23, had flown into Phuket from Lagos on October 7, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Narong Sahamethapat said.

The foreigner had fainted and was sent to a local hospital on October 15, he said. The doctor at the time found that he had a record of heart disease and his symptoms were not related to Ebola, hence he was treated accordingly and allowed to go home.

However, police found the Briton dead in his room on October 23, so the ministry was urged to probe the cause of his death. A health expert team from the central administration was sent to work with the Phuket Public Health Office to determine the cause of the man's "not natural" death.

A blood sample from the deceased man was sent for an Ebola virus test to the Department of Medical Science and Chulalongkorn Hospital. The result was expected today.

Department of Disease Control chief Dr Sophon Mekthon said the British man's body was kept at the ministry's hospital and looked after as per international standards.

The department is also monitoring some 25 people, who had contact with the man, for any virus-related symptoms for the next 21 days, while the room in which the man lived was also sealed. His body would be sent for an autopsy only if the test for Ebola returns negative, he said.

Sophon confirmed strict screening of visitors from states with Ebola, with International Disease Control Stations for every mode of transport - land, air or sea. So far, 2,415 people have been screened, but no cases found, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Australian-in-Trat-under-watch-for-Ebola-30246252.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-26

• Like 1

At the present time, there is an under reported Ebola outbreak in Congo.... but it appears to be under control, if not finished, for the time being.

The index case was a woman who slaughtered a bush animal, and contracted the virus.... she died on August 11. There were approx 70 people infected, with more than 40 dying... The outbreak occurred in an isolated forested region, and did not spread to heavily populated areas... But the outbreak appears to be tapering off

The strain of Ebola currently in Congo is unrelated to the larger outbreak in Western Africa...

So, Unless, the Aussie came into contact with an Ebola Symptomatic patient in this isolated area, odds are he has the flu... When returning from the DRC, monitoring would be prudent...

• Like 1

Normal body temperature is 37.0 degrees Celcius. The quoted temperature of 36.3 degrees for the person from Australia isn't even a fever. Must be a misquote.

Well, it is a Nation article. Nation usually beats the Bangkok Post to the punch in getting the news out a little faster but with that comes more errors. They could really use some proofreaders at the Nation.

It was a thread about linking Ebola to tourism I'm on my mobile just now will see if I can locate it but it got quite heated at time.

A confirmed case, I am talking about..... At the moment there is not one.... only checking...

The guy in patong, had heart issues.... so they are running a blood test to be sure

The guy in Trat, had a raised temp... even allowing for the typo in the article. Again he will be tested....

Nothing confirmed as yet...

/\

Do you really think you would be made aware . It is the begining of high season after all!

I am not quite that cynical at the moment....

There is a lot of over reaction to this virus, world wide, you only have to look at what a couple of governors in the US have done, despite the medical advice... So I guess Thailand is not immune to over reaction as well.

Odds are, that both cases will prove to be negative, and if not, the chances of transmission to the general population are still very low.

• Like 1

Normal body temperature is 37.0 degrees Celcius. The quoted temperature of 36.3 degrees for the person from Australia isn't even a fever. Must be a misquote.

Well, it is a Nation article. Nation usually beats the Bangkok Post to the punch in getting the news out a little faster but with that comes more errors. They could really use some proofreaders at the Nation.

Both could do with a handful of journalist with a degree of intelligence, instead of scare mongering hacks running around, arms in the air, shouting "we're doomed, we're doomed"

• Like 1

Normal body temperature can range from 97.8 degrees F (or Fahrenheit, equivalent to 36.5 degrees C, or Celsius) to 99 degrees F (37.2 degrees C) for a healthy adult.

They are saying he had 36.3. NOTHING to worry about other than he went to an ebola infected country perhaps?

Temperature is certainly not the issue here

Prob not a miss quote, Asians have a lower avg body temp than those rich hot farlangs, just think of all the other absolutely retarded comments from the Thai Authorities on this viris, putting African soccer players under surveillance because they are black and have not even been to Africa for over 1 year and oh, who can forget the announcement of the Thai Ebola cure 2 weeks ago.

/\

Do you really think you would be made aware . It is the begining of high season after all!

I am not quite that cynical at the moment....

There is a lot of over reaction to this virus, world wide, you only have to look at what a couple of governors in the US have done, despite the medical advice... So I guess Thailand is not immune to over reaction as well.

Odds are, that both cases will prove to be negative, and if not, the chances of transmission to the general population are still very low.

This is definitely one virus it is better to be safe than sorry. Would you wish an outbreak on any country, let alone the one in which u live?

Normal body temperature can range from 97.8 degrees F (or Fahrenheit, equivalent to 36.5 degrees C, or Celsius) to 99 degrees F (37.2 degrees C) for a healthy adult.

They are saying he had 36.3. NOTHING to worry about other than he went to an ebola infected country perhaps?

My normal resting body temp is 36°C/96.8°F. In the USA when I advise a doctor/nurse, a note is made in my chart for future reference. Here in Thailand I'm met with a blank stare. I really want them to know that when I have a 38°C temp, that I'm already running a significant fever, moreso than a "normal" person. But, no....

As well as the Briton in Phuket looks like its coming to Thailand..... the way things are handled here, I would be on the first plane

Oz

Exactly, with local hygiene (lack of it) in local food stalls...never mind no hot water, no running water at all...and with dog-style eating off the same plate and drinking from the same tin cup at water dispensers, it would be curtains for sure.

My normal resting body temp is 36°C/96.8°F. In the USA when I advise a doctor/nurse, a note is made in my chart for future reference. Here in Thailand I'm met with a blank stare. I really want them to know that when I have a 38°C temp, that I'm already running a significant fever, moreso than a "normal" person. But, no....

Thai medicine is different, just like the electricity.

I do think the media paranoia over Ebola is way out of proportion (at the moment), however, the threat this horrible disease poses to nations like Thailand, were it to get here, are truly scary. I for one am glad to see they appear to be taking this very seriously. That is the second intelligent report from authorities in 2 days, what's going on?

As well as the Briton in Phuket looks like its coming to Thailand..... the way things are handled here, I would be on the first plane

Oz

Exactly, with local hygiene (lack of it) in local food stalls...never mind no hot water, no running water at all...and with dog-style eating off the same plate and drinking from the same tin cup at water dispensers, it would be curtains for sure.

Well, thank goodness for Venetian blinds, otherwise it would be curtains for all of us !