Bkk-syd On Tg

samran

Aplogies for getting all Hi-So on everyone, but does the BKK-SYD route have flatbed sleepers in Business these days? Flying overnight down and late afternoon back up. Have heard mixed reports.

I don't know from personal experience, but based on reports, the day flight has the new flat seats in business but the night flight doesn't. See this thread on the FlyerTalk forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579284

for more information. Any questions you have about TG flights can be answered well by someone there.

Edit: I just checked the Thai website, and some of their night flights show the aircraft as 744 (new seats) and some show 747 (old seats), and the same for the day flight. Check with the Thai website for the dates you're flying and see if it lists 744 or not. If you got a 744, hope they don't change aircraft on you.

Edited by Soju

BKK-SYD, you are stuck with 747's with mostly older style biz class. If you fly BKK-MEL, you will fly the brand new A340-600's with great seats & interior. Then you slum it on Jetstar or Virgin blue to SYD

Aplogies for getting all Hi-So on everyone, but does the BKK-SYD route have flatbed sleepers in Business these days? Flying overnight down and late afternoon back up. Have heard mixed reports.

TG is crap. I have to take them to some places, and the seats are terrible. Even Vietnam airlines has better seats on domestic than TG on international.

I think your opinion is in the minority. The 2006 Skytrax poll named Thai the 4th best airline in the world, beating out even Singapore Airlines which is often highly praised by many. So obviously a majority of the people taking that survey don't agree with you. TG has been updating their aircraft recently, so maybe you're flying on a route that's been using older planes that haven't yet been updated. I've seen very few complaints about the new seats in business class. Most people praise them as being great.

I would agree that some of their planes flying domestic routes are showing a bit of their age, but on all the international routes I've flown on TG I can't complain about the seats in either business or economy class. I've never flown Vietnam Airlines so don't know how to compare to them, but compared to many other airlines I've flown, their seats are comparable in economy and much better in business.

The aim of the game is to get a flat bed. I like my sleep.

No doubt Thai are upgrading, but it still sounds like luck of the draw. The only downside of going via sing is a longer journey.

TG is crap. I have to take them to some places, and the seats are terrible. Even Vietnam airlines has better seats on domestic than TG on international.

I think your opinion is in the minority. The 2006 Skytrax poll named Thai the 4th best airline in the world, beating out even Singapore Airlines which is often highly praised by many. So obviously a majority of the people taking that survey don't agree with you. TG has been updating their aircraft recently, so maybe you're flying on a route that's been using older planes that haven't yet been updated. I've seen very few complaints about the new seats in business class. Most people praise them as being great.

I would agree that some of their planes flying domestic routes are showing a bit of their age, but on all the international routes I've flown on TG I can't complain about the seats in either business or economy class. I've never flown Vietnam Airlines so don't know how to compare to them, but compared to many other airlines I've flown, their seats are comparable in economy and much better in business.

I for one do agree with the prior poster. TG is strictly second rate. Better than any US carrier, of course, but not nearly up to the reliability and professionalism of carriers like SQ and CX. Whatever the Skytrax poll is, it's nonsense. Anyone who is dumb enough to freely choose TG over SQ gets exactly what they deserve.

Back to the real issue here, TG's 'flat bed seats' aren't flat. I've logged a lot of miles in several variations of the (new) so-called flat bed business class seat. It is neither flat nor does it recline 180 degrees. It is pitched instead at such an angle that you have to kick out a little plate at the end of the foot rest and keep you belt fastened or, after about two hours of trying to sleep, you will find you have slid do far down that you are falling right out of it.

I for one do agree with the prior poster. TG is strictly second rate. Better than any US carrier, of course, but not nearly up to the reliability and professionalism of carriers like SQ and CX. Whatever the Skytrax poll is, it's nonsense. Anyone who is dumb enough to freely choose TG over SQ gets exactly what they deserve.

Back to the real issue here, TG's 'flat bed seats' aren't flat. I've logged a lot of miles in several variations of the (new) so-called flat bed business class seat. It is neither flat nor does it recline 180 degrees. It is pitched instead at such an angle that you have to kick out a little plate at the end of the foot rest and keep you belt fastened or, after about two hours of trying to sleep, you will find you have slid do far down that you are falling right out of it.

Fully agree with that comment, they say flat bed but your right its on a pich and you slide down, terrible design.Air France being one of the worst.The BEST flat bed seats are without doubt Kenya Air.Superb Business class.

Most people seem to agree that TG's new Royal Silk Class (Business) seat is flat, it's just not horizontal. I haven't flown in these new seats, but they look to me to be exactly the same as the new business class seats on LH, which I found to be good (BKK-MUC).

I have flown in TG's new first class seats (744 aircraft - 2 times so far, another two segments coming up in August), and found both the seat, in-flight entertainment system, service and food & beverage to be nearly equal to SQ, NH and better than LH or UA's first class products. If I had to rate F service, it'd be NH, SQ, TG, LH, UA, from best to good, but all are fine and have their positive attributes. UA's First Suite is still the most comfortable bed, for me anyway, having been in service for close to 5 years. I flew UA ORD-HKG-SIN and SFO-HKG-SIN in February & March this year, upgraded from C (business class) to F (first class).