Any one growing Asparagus ?

ThaiLife

Ive had a quick look through the farming topics , my wife has started growing asparagus from seed and the plants are now starting to grow , but many of them seem to be infected by a fungus / rot . Ive done an internet search , but many results relate to non Thai articles and different growing conditions.

My wife does have a friend who grows asparagus but they are away for a few weeks , so we can't ask any questions .

Any one here growing Asparagus in Thailand ?

TLwai.gif

If you will just do a quick search you will see this had been covered

(10)
I'm looking for a supplier of asparagus seeds , as the local supplier of ready rooted small plants has had their latest crop for sale , killed off by a ...
www.thaivisa.com
www.thaivisa.com/.../749353-any-one-knows-where-i-can-buy-asparagus- seeds/
www.thaivisa.com
www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/771452-any-one-growing-asparagus/
My wife does have a friend who grows asparagus but they are away for a few weeks , so we cant ask any questions . Any one...
www.thaivisa.com
www.thaivisa.com
www.thaivisa.com/forum/.../704412-asparagus-your-thoughts-please/
Asparagus - your thoughts please - posted in Farming in Thailand Forum: Directly at the rear of our house we have 1 Rai of land which is ...
www.thaivisa.com

If you will just do a quick search you will see this had been covered

(10)
I'm looking for a supplier of asparagus seeds , as the local supplier of ready rooted small plants has had their latest crop for sale , killed off by a ...
www.thaivisa.com
www.thaivisa.com/.../749353-any-one-knows-where-i-can-buy-asparagus- seeds/
www.thaivisa.com
My wife does have a friend who grows asparagus but they are away for a few weeks , so we cant ask any questions . Any one...
www.thaivisa.com
www.thaivisa.com
Asparagus - your thoughts please - posted in Farming in Thailand Forum: Directly at the rear of our house we have 1 Rai of land which is ...
www.thaivisa.com

Hi and thanks for the advice , the links are a bit old ( 2008 ) and the rest from my self on another Asparagus related question

I was hoping for some one who is actually growing Asparagus in Thailand , even possibily a new forum member , who I can ask a question about our current fungus / rot problem .

TLwai.gif

Asparagus, is a funny little plant, some what like artichokes. It takes time for them to multiply. Over watering affects both of these species. In history, they are called centennial plants, which means they can last up to 100 years. I wouldn't expect much from them for at least 4 years, as it is with Artichokes.... they do like cool weather winters, so maybe it depends upon where you live... There are many good videos on Youtube, if you want to watch them. Thais often over water these plants, and living half way across the world, here in the USA, my wife thinks more water is better. If you do have a fungus, I would suggest cutting back on water, and let the plant tell you. My wife here loves to eat asparagus, but I have to tell her we are not growing rice. Even here in Las Vegas, Nevada, we are growing thai vegetables, Jujubee trees, and Kapow... Maybe do some research on different varieties of asparagus. Did she get the seeds from her friend? Just a thought...

Good luck.... kilosierrawai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Thanks for the commets thumbsup.gif

My wife finally managed to talk to her friend and its now confirmed the majority of our seedlings have a fungle problem called ... Asparagus Anthracnose

We originally planted around 4,000 locally bought seeds , but it seems that due to the rain and poor land drainage we now have this problem .

The fungus area is shown below , it becomes brown and brittle .

asp1_zps4d15407d.jpg

We are having to now start again by growing new seeds but this time in trays and bags so we can control the water content and feeding .

Its a learning process , but an interesting one .

TLwai.gif

Edited by ThaiLife
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the commets thumbsup.gif

My wife finally managed to talk to her friend and its now confirmed the majority of our seedlings have a fungle problem called ... Asparagus Anthracnose

We originally planted around 4,000 locally bought seeds , but it seems that due to the rain and poor land drainage we now have this problem .

The fungus area is shown below , it becomes brown and brittle .

asp1_zps4d15407d.jpg

We are having to now start again by growing new seeds but this time in trays and bags so we can control the water content and feeding .

Its a learning process , but an interesting one .

TLwai.gif

interesting, but what about WHITE Asparagus? Do you have any experience with that?