Toyota Vios 1.5 2007 problem

Kimera

I need a little info please, does anyone know where the headlight relay is located, I have a rare intermittant fault that causes the headlights not to come on or if on to go off.

I would like to check the feeds to and from the relay and indeed test the relay.

Thanks

The relay is situated under in a box under the glovebox, just remove the panel. Check this first as it's the easiest job and a common problem (and cheapest !) . If this doesnt solve it, then second port of call, as Paulchiangmai said, is the the stalk. The switches often wear out and strain, especially in hot climates when a tiny amount of warping can throw it out. The steering wheel does need to come off to change this and is best left to a dealer as the airbag is very easy to set off....thats expensive as well as the possibility of having a heart attack ;-) good luck.........

Most relays are incorporated in the under-bonnet fuse box/relay box.

Lighting problems are common to the Yaris/Vios range.

You might have noticed many Yaris/Vios models driving around with no rear lights !

I would first check the lighting switch on the steering column. You will need to remove the steering column shroud to gain access. The switch has metal contacts which tend to stick in the open or closed position. Cleaning them and using WD40 solved the lighting problems I"ve had.

A new switch is about 2,000 baht but the steering wheel has to come off to replace it.

Thank you for your reply I have now checked and lubricated the contacts in the lighting switch, and ensured all the harness is sound, they do switch on I've tried it twenty or more times and it works every time...however when I posted intermittent it really is maybe once a month they go out or won't come on..and its both main and dipped beam..strange eh that's why I thought relay

Thanks again

The relay is situated under in a box under the glovebox, just remove the panel. Check this first as it's the easiest job and a common problem (and cheapest !) . If this doesnt solve it, then second port of call, as Paulchiangmai said, is the the stalk. The switches often wear out and strain, especially in hot climates when a tiny amount of warping can throw it out. The steering wheel does need to come off to change this and is best left to a dealer as the airbag is very easy to set off....thats expensive as well as the possibility of having a heart attack ;-) good luck.........

Thanks for your reply I have now checked and lubed the switch... See my other post..I had already pulled all the relays both in the engine compartment and behind the glove box with the lights on, and they remain on, you don't know exactly which one it is do you ?

Thanks again

Take the piece of shit to an auto electrical outfit

Ah! a helpful and intelligent reply, your not from the U.S. are you ? I have come across this helpfulness before from there. However which ever country you are from I can see you wouldn't fit in, indeed as you don't here (that's if you do live in Thailand) and I apologise to your countrymen for you.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Most relays are incorporated in the under-bonnet fuse box/relay box.

Lighting problems are common to the Yaris/Vios range.
You might have noticed many Yaris/Vios models driving around with no rear lights !

I would first check the lighting switch on the steering column. You will need to remove the steering column shroud to gain access. The switch has metal contacts which tend to stick in the open or closed position. Cleaning them and using WD40 solved the lighting problems I"ve had.

A new switch is about 2,000 baht but the steering wheel has to come off to replace it.

I think that is an exaggeration or maybe I've been lucky the Mrs Yaris has never had any problems or our friends Vios and many others we know who have these models of all different years, the battery that Honda supplied in the new City is my only moan.

You should be able to get the location by doing a Google. After if it is not a easy in and out, I would just take it to a independent shop or Toyota and come back and pick it up after going for breakfast and coffee. Time is money I like to do things myself and then there are time I just let others do it? I think for something like this the time you have wasted waiting for a sound answer it could have been done already?

Edited by thailand49

You should be able to get the location by doing a Google. After if it is not a easy in and out, I would just take it to a independent shop or Toyota and come back and pick it up after going for breakfast and coffee. Time is money I like to do things myself and then there are time I just let others do it? I think for something like this the time you have wasted waiting for a sound answer it could have been done already?

I agree my first thought, spent time with the search engines no clear result. Also had a rear wheel bearing assembly fitted at Toyota two weeks ago, asked their electrician which relay for the headlights, he pointed to the ST relay, confidence gone again.

Please don't forget it's ok 95% of the time. Ah well..I'm hoping the cleaning and lube of the switch has cured it..