US Ebola nurse 'to take legal action' over confinement

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They took her temperature with a mouth thermometer and she was find, they did a blood test for Ebola that clear her from the virus, but politicians still wanted her in quarantine (politician, not a scientist). So for all the m..... here who think that she still need to be in quarantine, next time that you are sick, don't go to the doctor or a nurse, go see a republican politician or an immigration officer to get treatment.

You - and several others - are commenting on a subject that you are entirely ignorant about. One can test negative and still carry the Ebola virus. A person who is carrying Ebola and replicating Ebola inside their blood will test negative for Ebola for up to six weeks. The test won't show a positive result until the virus has replicated to a sufficient quantity to be detectable. This is the whole reason behind the 21 day observations periods and self-quarantine measures. If a person's Ebola status could be diagnosed immediately by one test administered at any time, everyone could be either diagnosed or cleared on day one and there would be no reason to observe anyone for 21 days in the first place. Ebola can't be detected in a person's blood in its early stages. Therefore, the entire claim that "She tested NEGATIVE for Ebola!" is meaningless.

He just needed a reason to go on an anti-republican rant. And you would deprive him of that. People have needs you know...

• Like 1

Even before the first victim died in the US there were hints of the forthcoming scaremongering. The clear fact is that ebola is deadly but actually quite hard to transmit.

This is funny, but it does put a bit of the scaremongering into the spotlight.

As for the nurse....on the one hand I recognise her ire at having her rights abused, but on the other hand, it is better to err on the side of caution, especially with potential spread of death.

The nurse did not have any rights abused. Under rock solid Public Health laws of each state one can be detained if there is evidence of exposure to a deadly communicable disease and a probability that the person may have the disease and transmit it to others... Public Health Laws allow detention, isolation and quarantine to protect the public. She and her lawyer will find this out if they seriously pursue their announced actions.

Public Health Laws allows issuance of Warrants for Arrest... if a person is not cooperating with authorities or evading their authority.

Having said that ... the whole thing should have been conducted in a more civil and dignified manner...

• Like 1

Yes, I used "scare" and, quite frankly, I am scared of an ebola outbreak in the US.

Why?

Because it is quite apparent by the infection of two healthcare nurses in Texas and the allegedly poor handling of quarantine procedures for the nurse in this article, that the US medical community and Gov't authorities do NOT have a handle on this highly infective disease.

Has any one of the thousands two who have contracted Ebola in the US died?

Are you really that scared?

Have you finished building up your supply of Alex Jones emergency food supplies and water purifiers yet?

Even before the first victim died in the US there were hints of the forthcoming scaremongering. The clear fact is that ebola is deadly but actually quite hard to transmit.

This is funny, but it does put a bit of the scaremongering into the spotlight.

As for the nurse....on the one hand I recognise her ire at having her rights abused, but on the other hand, it is better to err on the side of caution, especially with potential spread of death.

It does accurately sum up the attitude to the virus.

And the batty old feller "The virus wouldn't like it here".....

cheesy.gif

Australia has stopped processing humanitarian and immigration visas from West African nations affected by the Ebola outbreak and British Airways has stopped flights to West Africa. The American military is putting soldiers returning from the area in a mandatory 21 day quarantine. Some folks call it common sense, rather than "scaremongering".

Tony Abbott really is a muppet (and a right wing one at that). Yet another right wing politician who thinks he knows more about infectious diseases than his own countrys' health chiefs.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia came under fire on Tuesday from health experts and rights advocates after it issued a blanket ban on visas from West African nations affected by the Ebola outbreak, making it the first rich nation to shut its doors to the region. Australia has not recorded a case of Ebola despite a number of scares, and conservative Prime Minister Tony Abbott has so far resisted repeated requests to send medical personnel to help battle the outbreak on the ground.

As for BA, thanks to this obviously commercial decision (the dwarf in charge of IAG wouldn't like empty, loss-making flights now), it can now take up to three days for British health care professionals to get to the hot zone.

Both of these short-sighted idiots don't realise that by hurting efforts to kill the outbreak at source, all they are doing is increasing their chances of it coming back to bite them in the buttocks.

Edited by Chicog

I'm wondering if she will drop the law suit since she is no longer in confinement.

Probably not.

I'm surprised she found a lawyer willing to meet with her.

wink.png

Lol. You're kidding, right? We're talking about trial lawyers here. They were probably lined up around the block. They all realize the case has no legs, but they'll get their 5 mins of fame and a photo-op or two.

• Like 2

Italy is requiring all US service men and women on the ebola detail to be quarantined for the 21 day period upon return from Africa.

I didn't realize Italy was run by the Republican Party.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

CBS/AP October 27, 2014, 11:20 AM
U.S. soldiers returning from Liberia monitored for Ebola in Italy
U.S. soldiers returning from Liberia are being placed in isolation in Vicenza, Italy out of concern for the Ebola virus, CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports.
The soldiers being monitored include Maj. Gen. Darryl Williams who was the commander of the U.S. Army in Africa but turned over duties to the 101st Airborne Division over the weekend, Martin reports. There are currently 11 soldiers in isolation.
They apparently were met by Carabinieri in full hazmat suits. If the policy remains in effect, everyone returning from Liberia - several hundred - will be placed in isolation for 21 days. Thirty are expected in today, Martin reports.

Nice try Chuck, but this is an Army decision, not an Italian one. I'm guessing it was an informed decision based on the risks involved in their duties over there.

The decision made by the Army and applies only to soldiers returning from Liberia. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will decide whether to make isolation apply to members of all services returning from Liberia.

You must have missed this little gem.thumbsup.gif

"They apparently were met by Carabinieri in full hazmat suits"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Most civil suit lawyers I have run across would walk through a wall of fire to get a client. They wouldn't let a little thing like ebola deter them.

• Like 1

You must have missed this little gem.thumbsup.gif

"They apparently were met by Carabinieri in full hazmat suits"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So? They're on foreign soil, why does it surprise you that they'd keep the local busies involved?

As it states clearly, it was an Army decision.

Yes, I used "scare" and, quite frankly, I am scared of an ebola outbreak in the US.

Why?

Because it is quite apparent by the infection of two healthcare nurses in Texas and the allegedly poor handling of quarantine procedures for the nurse in this article, that the US medical community and Gov't authorities do NOT have a handle on this highly infective disease.

Have you finished building up your supply of Alex Jones emergency food supplies and water purifiers yet?

If I am exposed to dangers that I have no control over and if my numerous family members are exposed to dangers that can kill them without them seeing it coming then, yes, I am scared, concerned, call it whatever you like.

BTW, the nurse is still in quarantine. She is quarantined to her home by Govt order.

I have to say Chicog, I never even thought about mitigating a deadly disease as being partisan--until I read your post. Do you think you might be a tad obsessed with politics? And correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall you are not even a voting American, you just go there to take our jobs!

;-)

Why?

Interesting point Chicog. No, neither of the two exposed nurses who contracted Ebola has died. The reason is likely that they received immediate medical treatment when they tested positive. They also received a vaccine that is in extraordinarily limited supply. In fact, it was donated by the doctor who recovered from the illness after also receiving a vaccine. If I am not mistaken, each of these three patients received about 1 pint of fluid with vaccine present...could someone clarify for me?

So how exactly does this support your argument that the US has nothing to fear if Ebola spreads through the population?

BTW, you often times paste some great supporting evidence to defend your various positions but I have not seen you do such with Ebola. It suggests you are simply making stuff up.

To my mind the nurse a medical professional one might suppose who should be very aware of the issue concerning Ebola is being rather selfish and is socially and health wise extremely inconsiderate.

Remember this character and the death and misery she brought to those who had contact with her? See the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_Mary

So how exactly does this support your argument that the US has nothing to fear if Ebola spreads through the population?

I haven't actually made that argument, but don't let that stop you misquoting me.

What I've said in numerous posts is that emphasis should be placed on maximising efforts to stem the outbreak at source, and that quarantining does not help.

Panicky reactions to fearmongering by the media and Republican talking heads are hurting this effort.

Oct 28, 5:29 AM EDT

5,000 EBOLA HEALTH WORKERS NEEDED IN WEST AFRICA
Ethiopia (AP) -- The president of the World Bank says that Ebola-effected countries in West Africa need at least 5,000 more health workers to effectively fight the epidemic.

I haven't actually made that argument, but don't let that stop you misquoting me.

What I've said in numerous posts is that emphasis should be placed on maximising efforts to stem the outbreak at source, and that quarantining does not help.

Panicky reactions to fearmongering by the media and Republican talking heads are hurting this effort.

Oct 28, 5:29 AM EDT

5,000 EBOLA HEALTH WORKERS NEEDED IN WEST AFRICA

Ethiopia (AP) -- The president of the World Bank says that Ebola-effected countries in West Africa need at least 5,000 more health workers to effectively fight the epidemic.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AF_EBOLA_WEST_AFRICA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-28-05-29-00

I am sorry if I have misquoted you. It was not intentional. I must have misunderstood. I am an independent and it gets my blood pressure up to be accused of being a FOX news republican and I get spitting mad and it gets all over the computer screen. Then I have trouble reading the print.

Let me get the vinegar and the squeegie out and then I will respond.

Sure it does. It hopefully means that the public will be exposed to many fewer carriers in countries outside the hot zone. What is the big deal about 21 days - only 3 weeks - in comfortable quarantine conditions to health workers who are trying to stop this disease? They should be all for it.

• Like 1

Sure it does. It hopefully means that the public will be exposed to many fewer carriers in countries outside the hot zone. What is the big deal about 21 days - only 3 weeks - in comfortable quarantine conditions to health workers who are trying to stop this disease? They should be all for it.

Anything that reduces the likelihood of health care professionals travelling to the hot zone will increase the likelihood of the outbreak worsening.

I'm sorry there are so many threads open on this subject, but I did post on one of them where they estimate they need another 5,000 health workers there to finish the job.

And being automatically banged up for three weeks might be a good disincentive.

Of course if they brought in some legislation to protect jobs, etc., it might lessen the hostility.

In my view the US can handle the odd case.

But if the effort isn't focused on stamping out the outbreak, it will be a lot more than the odd case.

To my mind the nurse a medical professional one might suppose who should be very aware of the issue concerning Ebola is being rather selfish and is socially and health wise extremely inconsiderate.

Remember this character and the death and misery she brought to those who had contact with her? See the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_Mary

Seriously?

rolleyes.gif

Anything that reduces the likelihood of health care professionals travelling to the hot zone will increase the likelihood of the outbreak worsening.

I don't see 3 weeks of a comfortable quarantine stopping many philanthropists from going and the public will feel a lot safer if they are monitored for the disease before they go out in public.

I don't see 3 weeks of a comfortable quarantine stopping many philanthropists from going and the public will feel a lot safer if they are monitored for the disease before they go out in public.

In fairness to you, if they offered three weeks at the Ritz with free room service they should be able to get 5,000 easily.

biggrin.png

Lawyer for Fort Kent nurse held on Ebola fears says she won’t abide by quarantine

Attorneys for a nurse released from isolation in New Jersey after returning to the U.S. from West Africa say she will not comply with Maine health officials’ requirements that she remain under quarantine at home for 21 days.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/10/28/health/lawyer-for-fort-kent-nurse-says-she-wont-abide-by-quarantine/

****************************************************************************************************************************

Maine prepared to enforce 'voluntary' quarantine

" ...Mayhew said her department and the attorney general's office were prepared to take legal steps to enforce a quarantine if someone declines to cooperate..." ..."We do not want to have to legally enforce in-home quarantine," she said. "We're confident that selfless health workers who were brave enough to care for Ebola patients in a foreign country will be willing to take reasonable steps to protect residents of their own country. However we are willing to pursue legal authority if necessary to ensure risk is minimized for Mainers...

'

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/10/27/3924942_maines-ebola-protocols-mean-quarantine.html?rh=1

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

Reports are that the troops are not complaining ... a bit of a difference compared to the CDC Nurse - Epidemiologist who has complained bitterly and is threatening lawsuits. Of course she works for the CDC and their policy is totally against Quarantine... funny how that works - especially since much of the media is downplaying that the nurse is echoing her employer's policy...

How U.S. Troops React to Mandatory Quarantine is

a Powerful Lesson in What Public Service Looks Like

A Pentagon spokesman calls it “enhanced monitoring.” The soldiers are confined to a building and unable to see their families, [Reporter David] Martin reports.

The soldiers will be housed in rooms with one to four beds, and the building is outfitted with communications and workout equipment so soldiers — including the General — can get their work done without fear of contaminating anyone.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/10/193216-guys-use-services-lawsuit-happy-ebola-nurse-listening/

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

Ebola ‘Nurse’ Says She Won’t be ‘Bullied by Politicians’

as Maine Police Dispatched to Enforce Quarantine

"I don’t plan on sticking to the guidelines. I remain appalled by these home quarantine policies that have been forced upon me, even though I am in perfectly good health and feeling strong and have been this entire time completely symptom free." Nurse Hickox.

The Guardian reports that the Maine police have been dispatched to Hickox’s home to enforce the quarantine law.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/10/194173-defiant-nurse-kaci-hickox-says-wont-bullied-politicians-will-leave-ebola-quarantine-early/

The thing about this nurse is that if you have ever been in a hospital, you know her. Or you have had contract with her. The arrogant, inflexible, know-it-all who ignores every request--because she has more important things to do--or who disregards whatever you might have to say about your own condition. I have seen this nurse in several hospitals. Kaci has attitude. It's there in her body posture, her language, her voice, and her strident demands. And on top of all of that, she is a political activist.

• Like 1