Buying a 2nd hand car using escrow

I've seen a car I'd like to buy from Craigslist. The price is very reasonable; perhaps a little too reasonable!

The seller is not in Bangkok and wants to arrange for the car to be delivered to my address by an escrow service, giving me 10 days to inspect it before purchasing.

As I understand it, I would have to transfer the money to the Escrow Service before I receive the car. Then the Escrow Service will transfer the money to the seller, once I have confirmed I want to have the car. The seller has agreed to pay the escrow charges.

Is this common? How can I ensure the Escrow Service is legitimate?

Thanks.

Far too risky IMO. What happens when the Escrow service has your money . Do they vanish /claim they returned it - sent the money / seller claims it didnt arrive. What about the greenbook in the meantime. Either go to BKK or look elsewhere. EDIT Call them telling your coming to inspect the car with a mechanic - whats their addresse - see their responce.

Edited by ktm jeff

Thanks. I will make sure I find out (and check out) the Escrow Service, should I decide to go ahead.

The seller says the registration documents will be sent with the car. Would this work?

I am in Bangkok, but the seller is not and says he can't get there due to his work.

Thanks. I will make sure I find out (and check out) the Escrow Service, should I decide to go ahead.

The seller says the registration documents will be sent with the car. Would this work?

I am in Bangkok, but the seller is not and says he can't get there due to his work.

Will only work if you receive copies of his documentation (ID card and housepaper if Thai, passport and residence certificate/workpermit/yellow housebook if foreigner) and the signed form allowing you to transfer on behalf of the owner.

Craigslist is full of scammers... This looks like an advance fee scam to me. If you agree to it you will be asked to pay the fee of the Escrow Company "just for delivering the vehicle" which will then be deducted from the final balance..... yeah, in a pigs eye it will. You pay ( probably Western Union or similar) and you will never see the car, or your cash again.

fuggedit.

Definitely a scam, stay away from it, they attempt this all the time here in the west, there is an entire thread on it at Ebay.. it works both ways BTW they also do it with purchases.. I had one contact me about a car I was selling, said he was buying for his brother who was serving in the military, trying to ply my loyalty strings, sounded fishy to me so I searched it and there was info all over the net, easy enough to find.

http://www.wikihow.com/Spot-Car-Scams-on-Craigslist

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Trust-Safety-SafeHarbor/im-buying-a-car-off-craigslist-and-theyre-saying-that-we-would/qaq-p/8917481

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Trust-Safety-SafeHarbor/I-have-a-guy-trying-to-sell-me-a-car-through-craigslist-says-he/qaq-p/5189011

In these cases they use Ebay as their go between (3rd party), but the scam is still the same by any other name, the thing is Ebay is not responsible for any purchases not made on Ebay so a Craigslist sale would not be covered by their fraud and protection policy.

You said it right at the beginning, "it's too good to be true". Run! Don't just walk away..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I know you made your decision already but here's link to the one I was talking about but couldn't find previously, I posted on here too, regarding the scam I ran into but there is 22 pages of people reporting and providing info. Yours may be different but still sounds like a similar iteration.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/Car-Purchase-Scam/m-p/896969?profile.language=en-gb#M6347

• Like 2

People still need to ask wether these things are scams or not ???

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the op asked and it was answered these are scams.

My point ,

Why the hell would you think this is nothing but a scam and feel the need to verify if it was or not.

How obvious does it need to be ???

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app