How would you politely argue with a Thai ?

skilled

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Farang and able to speak Thai I have yet to hear a Thai say something that I would want to argue with them about, politely or otherwise. I live in north east Thailand and maybe they are like my wife who, if she does not want me to know what she is talking about, uses the local dialect and talks at about 100 miler per hour. So if they are bagging me I will never know. Don't really care either as I get on really well with most people in our village.

My advise, if you want to have a good life, without any stress or drama, smile most or the time, learn to speak Thai if you do not already and just shut up even if you think they are wrong because in a Thai's eyes they are never wrong, believe me.

• Like 1

I'd argue with a Thai by phone.....satellite phone preferably.

Youtube is another good forum for hate between people it seems. I have heard Thais speak bad to each-other, but when being anonymous on internet it truly shows the teenager attitudes among many

(And again yes - this goes for all nationalities, but we live in Thailand and this is about Thailand, not about how Iranians bash on people from Iraq, how Indians bash on Pakistanis or Nepalis or how UK and Americans bash on each-other for whatever reasons... It's not a "all Thais are bad and want to kill you, that's not true. And all who would like to call themselves close to fluent in the languages as well as understanding 'Thainess' should be very aware of this...)

Why argue? You will not win points for that. Kind of futile, actually. The best thing you can do is smile, and walk away as the better man. Keeping silent, and positive, will utilize their own cultural(buddhist) philosophy...in your favor. They will ultimately lose face.

Best thing is...no need to be fluent. Your actions will speak for themselves. Some Thai's actually want you to show your bad side. Avoid that.

• 3 weeks later...