PM Prayut reiterates importance of English skills ahead of AEC

webfact

Does Conrade General actually speak English?

If not another farce.

It doesn't matter... He realizes it's importance.

Now, I'll ask you a question... Did Yingluck or her brother actually speak English? My very well educated Thai friends tell me they could hardly speak Thai much less English. Do you get it?

Hey! Have got a tablet for you!

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard the General /PM speak English? Any good?

I believe he was educated solely in Thailand. He's a miitary man (obviously) and went to a top Thai Military Academy. My guess would be that his English won't be great, but I could be totally wrong of course.

Um no. And considering that Thailand's closest army ally is the USA, you might think someone would have thought it a prerequisite that the army leader can at least converse with his counterparts.

I wonder if the US army leader can speak German, Dutch, French or Chinese. Or even proper English.

English is the universal language that's why it's taught in non English speaking countries as opposed to, say in China learning Dutch as a second language, don't know what point you wre trying to make but it was an epic fail !!

And US Army is spelt with a Capital A ?

• Like 1

Um no. And considering that Thailand's closest army ally is the USA, you might think someone would have thought it a prerequisite that the army leader can at least converse with his counterparts.

I wonder if the US army leader can speak German, Dutch, French or Chinese. Or even proper English.

George W. couldn't...

The weakness of Thai foreign language skills is merely s symptom of the more general disease of woeful education. Languages, geography, history, science, mathematics - choose any subject you like - it's all of a piece. The whole education system is a disaster.

Dear Khun Prayut,

Please try and educate your people to wear helmets on motorbikes at all times, drive on the proper side of the road, turn corners without cutting the corner on the wrong side of the road, queue in a mannerly order, and take an interest in speaking English for advancement, not as an extra subject squeezed into the curriculum (1 hour a week).

Other AEC countries have managed to implement the above quite well (think of Vietnam, your close neighbour).

Until the basics have been put into practice, Thais will never be able to master any language.

Thailand is in for a shock in 2015

Macanello

PS Khun Prayut,...please bring Happiness back for Pedestrians, and Pedestrian tourists,...it's time for a Pedestrian Endangerment Fine, on all vehicle parks along pedestrian paths that endanger pedestrians forced to walk in the roadway.

English is the universal language that's why it's taught in non English speaking countries as opposed to, say in China learning Dutch as a second language, don't know what point you wre trying to make but it was an epic fail !!

And US Army is spelt with a Capital A ?

Better put,...English is the language of business,...and Asean is about business. English will be the language of Asean. It is good for Malaysians, Thai, Cambodians, etc to only need one other language besides their cultural language.

English is a European language. An American can get by speaking American English,...which is as about as different as Spanish is to Mexican. The Asean Countries who are most proficient in English, will likely reap the biggest benefits of what Asean offers.

To the other poster,...I have never heard a US military officer speak proper English,...but they do speak pretty good American, which is OK for business.

• Like 1

Mr PM (or anyone here),

What is it about the AEC next year that means Thais will need better English?

Mr Macanello (and anyone else here),

What change in the AEC will means that Thais get a shock? In what way will this happen and what specific rule or change will create the shock?

FYI - I have heard that the PM speaks English very well - but as a cautious individual, he does not want to make a mistake in public so chooses to use translators. Many of us do the same in business meetings where Thai is spoken I guess.

you heard? from what source? let me guess: feudal propaganda?

If you do not know for sure please don't waste your time and ours with supposition aimed to defend the hopeless self appointed PM reputation.

FYI my little brother can speak English reasonably well without having to fear making a mistake. Of course people use translators at official meeting, but not when talking unoficially.

I have not seen Prayuth talking directly to anyone in English, while I remember Abhisit doing that, live TV.

Either Abhisit was a genius (I dont think so) or ...

Abhisit was born in Wallsend, Newcastle Upon Tyne, the son of two academics and was educated at Eton and Oxford.

• Like 1

All the big wigs keep saying how important English is going to be with the opening up of ASEAN, but they have no idea of how to go about improving English language education in schools.

I worked at a school back in 2008 where the head of English taught by giving lists of words on the board, students copy them down, memorize the translation then sit outside and test with her until they got 50% correct. That was every class. Her rational was that the students were never going to speak English unless they first knew all the words.

Thankfully, the school I'm at now ignores the MoE, sends teachers on training with experts from around the world, only employs foreign teachers with extensive teaching experience, appoints foreigners with masters and doctoral degrees in teaching to management roles meaning that all foreign teachers are managed by foreigners, only the foreign management converse with the Thai principle (who is very progressive). We have 100% Thai children with parents that speak no English taking and getting grade As in the same English language exams as their fellow students in the UK.

If I wanted to run a school that taught Thai in the UK, I'd go and find qualified Thai people to manage and teach the course. Why the MoE doesn't do the same is clear, though totally ridiculous.

• Like 1

Mr PM (or anyone here),

What change in the AEC will means that Thais get a shock? In what way will this happen and what specific rule or change will create the shock?

FYI - I have heard that the PM speaks English very well - but as a cautious individual, he does not want to make a mistake in public so chooses to use translators. Many of us do the same in business meetings where Thai is spoken I guess.

One reason there may be a need for Thais to improve their English skills is that the AEC decided that the "lingua franca" of their joint discussions should be ENGLISH... It was an agreement ratified by the whole community.

yes, I know, waste of breath. Still if Thailand should wish to move things along the country could allow approval of those on Retirement Visas to volunteer to help in the public schools. Want to restrict that to elementary grades? Rural schools? Have at it, it would help.

yes, I know, waste of breath. Still if Thailand should wish to move things along the country could allow approval of those on Retirement Visas to volunteer to help in the public schools. Want to restrict that to elementary grades? Rural schools? Have at it, it would help.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it wouldn't help in the least. No curriculum, no resources, impossible class sizes, etc,etc. To move students along, you at least need a plan so that they can progress from a to b to c. And you need a bare minimum of contact hours to keep the wheels turning. None of that's in place in Thailand. A bunch of retirees with no experience of either teaching language acquisition or of classroom management would be utterly useless.

Not that many of them would stand if for more than a couple of weeks. Forty prathom 3 kids crammed in like sardines, a roasting classroom, and a bare chalkboard. It's the stuff of nightmares.

If I wanted to run a school that taught Thai in the UK, I'd go and find qualified Thai people to manage and teach the course. Why the MoE doesn't do the same is clear, though totally ridiculous.

Money. They'll never get the staff because they won't or can't pay enough.

Maybe the PM should lead from the front and speak English then if its so important....

Could do with a laugh....

There is a lot of laughable footage of his predecessor that is easily available for a laugh, particularly in light of her supposed English-based educational achievements.

• Like 1

Maybe the PM should lead from the front and speak English then if its so important....

There is a lot of laughable footage of his predecessor that is easily available for a laugh, particularly in light of her supposed English-based educational achievements.

Oh im sure this one wont disappoint either, he hasnt so far.

Oh im sure this one wont disappoint either, he hasnt so far.

However he's missing the truly ultimate hilarity factor.

That of proudly claiming to be a graduate from an English-based university's graduate school.

• Like 1

Abhisit was educated in England, thus he spoke English fluently.

Mr PM (or anyone here),

you heard? from what source? let me guess: feudal propaganda?

If you do not know for sure please don't waste your time and ours with supposition aimed to defend the hopeless self appointed PM reputation.

FYI my little brother can speak English reasonably well without having to fear making a mistake. Of course people use translators at official meeting, but not when talking unoficially.

I have not seen Prayuth talking directly to anyone in English, while I remember Abhisit doing that, live TV.

Either Abhisit was a genius (I dont think so) or ...

Last night I made a call to an insurance co. based in USA. After the issue was fully discussed and my location was acknowledged the phone "associate" for this US based company told me "we're neighbors." She is in the Philippines. Her English speaking skills are better than any Thais' I've ever met. I thought she was an American or native English speaker. Considering this, Thailand is drastically BEHIND in most areas - especially English language skills. I suppose re: ASEAN someone's "gotta" be the least competent.

• Like 1

Mr PM (or anyone here),

The PM doesn't need translators to make crass and insulting international remarks when speaking in his native language Thai, does he?

The AEC communication language is officially English, which all other memeber states are relatively well prepared for. Business and international ASEAN developments and joint ventures will be carried out in English. That is why, if Thailand wishes to interact with such, Thais need to speak English, discarding 'better', as it hardly exists as is.

Nice deflection ? the topic isn't about Yinglucks grammar or lack of, it's about the PM stating the need to speak better English for ASEAN , despite nobody knowing his own English vocational and grammatical skills.

Many posters are just asking if he's talking about others or leading by example, someone stated that he prefers to use translators, that's a poor excuse, he can TRY and speak English, and lead off by stating " I'm sorry my English is not very good, please bear with me"

What's so difficult about that? It also goes a long way when he's practising what he's preaching.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it wouldn't help in the least. No curriculum, no resources, impossible class sizes, etc,etc. To move students along, you at least need a plan so that they can progress from a to b to c. And you need a bare minimum of contact hours to keep the wheels turning. None of that's in place in Thailand. A bunch of retirees with no experience of either teaching language acquisition or of classroom management would be utterly useless.

Not that many of them would stand if for more than a couple of weeks. Forty prathom 3 kids crammed in like sardines, a roasting classroom, and a bare chalkboard. It's the stuff of nightmares.

I would think any hearing of the spoken English would be of some benefit. Compared with what exposure most Thai students get now, well i don't think it is a high bar to have some improvement. I agree that to make real progress more is required. But, we start talking about formal training and lesson plans and those who want to teach for pay will resist allowing volunteers.

The ASEAN wont affect Thailand at all...
Its just a publicity stunt
Thailand has already released a paper on what jobs will be open to neighbouring countries.
And most of them wont be worth applying for. like accountants?
I mean seriously what is a filipino accountant going to do in Thailand when they haven't been accredited or passed any Thai exams and cant read Thai?
Its a farce... Just the same as now but with ribbons on.

Considering all the derision on this forum whenever Yinguck spoke English in public, the smartest thing for the general to do would be to stick to Thai and have a translator when required. He wouldn't be the only world leader to do this. The German president speaks decent English, but whenever I've seen her at a public event on television she usually sticks to German if she has to speak for any length of time The general is 60 years old so when he went to school English language learning was probably not a priority. While he may not speak English fluently, there is no reason he can't suggest others should learn to.

Edited by kkerry
  • Like 2

About the ASEAN question, I live on the border of Laos Thailand and every store owner of coffee shop business just keep telling me that they do not need to speak English so make no effort to do so.

They keep telling me that other ASEAN populations will speak Thai because this is Thailand and they respect Thailand.

By the way ASEAN begins on January 1st for 9 countries all except Thailand which decided to join on 31st December 2015 because they aren't ready.

I am located about 80 kms from Laos in the countryside (2 years now) and rarely meet anyone who speaks English. Teachers in this area will not dare to do so.

I speak pretty good Thai as I studied for 3 years in Bangkok as I wanted to open a business with my Thai wife. Funnily enough, Thais here mistrust anyone who can hold a conversation in Thai (I thought learning Thai would help me in business but it does not.)

Macanello