PM Prayut reiterates importance of English skills ahead of AEC

webfact

Maybe the PM should lead from the front and speak English then if its so important....

Could do with a laugh....

There is a lot of laughable footage of his predecessor that is easily available for a laugh, particularly in light of her supposed English-based educational achievements.

Helpful hint:if you are going to start tiresomely and irrelevantly harping on about Yingluck's English, it probably makes sense not to make crass stylistic errors yourself such as using "laughable" and "laugh" in the same short sentence.

Actually Yingluck's English was on a par with most of the Sino Thai managerial class.

Edited by jayboy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... Of course people use translators at official meeting, but not when talking unoficially.

I have not seen Prayuth talking directly to anyone in English, while I remember Abhisit doing that, live TV.

Either Abhisit was a genius (I dont think so) or ...

Actually, Abhisit is a highly intelligent man, and may well have an IQ at genius level. He was born in England in my home town of Newcastle upon Tyne. His parents were University lecturers and also doctors in a very poor neighbourhood down by the shipyards on the river Tyne. The dialect and accent there is one of the most impenetrable (to non-natives and even to some other Britons) in spoken English almost anywhere and derives from Norwegian, Scottish, Germany and many other sources. If he can speak and understand that, he's a better man than many others ...

He speaks English almost like a native (I think he's lost some of his fluency now having been away for so long) but he went to Eton and Oxford where English would have to be pretty well perfect.

I have heard Thaksin speak English on a TV interview and his English surprised me by being not at all bad, although accented but not too Thinglish. He was lucid, had a pretty good vocabulary and was a confident speaker.

Yinglack's English is atrocious considering she's supposed to have a Master's from Kentucky (Fried Chicken University, no doubt!) tongue.png It's very heavily accented Thinglish and she also lacks confidence when she speaks.

I have never heard Prayut speak English, although I have heard (from Thais) that he can speak it. I have no idea how proficient he is or how well he pronounces, whether Thai-style or not. If he has a grain of sense as the PM now, he'd use a translator to stop any embarrassing fluffs now he is on the international stage. I know I would if I was unsure of myself.

Personally speaking, I am still prepared to give the General/PM a chance, but not for much longer - I do like that gruff, no-nonsense military manner - so far ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

Maybe the PM should lead from the front and speak English then if its so important....

There is a lot of laughable footage of his predecessor that is easily available for a laugh, particularly in light of her supposed English-based educational achievements.

Helpful hint:if you are going to start tiresomely and irrelevantly harping on about Yingluck's English, it probably makes sense not to make crass stylistic errors yourself such as using "laughable" and "laugh" in the same short sentence.

Actually Yingluck's English was on a par with most of the Sino Thai managerial class.

Although I agree with you about the quote above, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ...

That 'was' of yours should be an 'is' - she isn't dead yet ... and her English is a lot worse than many Thai middle and senior managers I have taught, who have never even left the country, much less attended the KFC University she went to for her 'Master's' ...

Cannot, too much face at stake. As the almighty PM he doesn't have to prove anything, because he can just silence the critics any way he wants to.

• Like 1

Although I agree with you about the quote above, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ...

That 'was' of yours should be an 'is' - she isn't dead yet ... and her English is a lot worse than many Thai middle and senior managers I have taught, who have never even left the country, much less attended the KFC University she went to for her 'Master's' ...

Actually "was" is correct in the context as most people will realise.It's nothing to do with whether she's alive or not.

On the substantive issue I agree her English is not that good but it is very much on par with many other Thais who have attended third rate US universities.I have encountered countless similar types who I have interviewed for employment - though none with Yingluck's charm and style I must concede.

Hey, I'd love to teach English to Thais on a volunteer basis, but on my retirement visa, even volunteer work is a no-no. Strange, that rule. Anybody on here know why they have that?

(Umm, I know it's not a retirement visa, it's an extension of a non-immigrant O visa, based on retirement. Thanks.)

I teach youngsters English...if they or there parents ask...in Lamphun and I'm here as a tourist..

I don't care about the rules as who is going to complain...I'm not qualified but having coached sports all my life I have a good knowledge of preparation and structure..

For those of you who are going to jump on me for doing so remember it gives alot of satisfaction to there parents,to me but most importantly to the student..One of which at 8 years old can sit and have a good conversation with me...I like to give something back even though my experience of Thailand has been often clouded and upsetting.Maybe,just maybe this 8 year old will grow up differently to her peers..and maybe not!! But I gave it a go.