Risks of downloading movies?

ghworker2010

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A certain thinker needs to be gagged. There are indeed strict copyright protection laws in Thailand that apply to movies tv shows, and the like. They provide for fines and jail time. This comes under the label of theft of intellectual property as well as under various restrictions on commerce.... i.e., selling copyrighted items without the holder's permission.

I will guess that if enforcement personnel wished to search a business or residence, they could enter.

You guess wrong, any Law enforcement officers need a warrant to enter private premises.

For the rest, you should have a read of this:

http://www.iipa.com/rbc/2013/2013SPEC301THAILAND.PDF

It will give you a clearer understanding of the state of things in Thailand, particularly about downloading movies from the internet and P2P sharing.

While commercial IP offenses are quite well covered by legislation, Thai Law still fails to address non-commercial sharing between private persons on the internet.

I regularly download movies and TV shows from Kick Ass Torrent. Been doing it for years never had a problem.If you are worried about it Download through Google Cyber Ghost or Tunnel bear which are VPNs. You can then change your ISP address to anywhere in the world that will let you download the movies and TV. Also handy if you want to read the newspapers and any other prOgrams that are blocked in Thailand.

• Like 1

Since this is Thailand, anything is possible. My friend who owns a bar just got taken for a bit of money from the music police. Even though he plays NO Thai music and actually has the legal CDs for all the music he plays. Didn't matter. And they didn't care.

It's entirely possible here they could crack down on this. What an easy money maker. They are keeping a much closer eye on the internet. Again, anything is possible. But highly doubtful. At least for now.

Chicog, on 29 Oct 2014 - 18:08, said:
delgarcon, on 29 Oct 2014 - 17:33, said:

Why download? There are plenty of web sites where you can stream and watch pretty good quality movies with no risk attached. Try movie4k.to for example, I've also used their site to watch the complete tv series of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Why do you think there is no risk attached? Sites like that are usually riddled with adware and spyware.

I use movies planet for streaming films and TV series. Never had a problem with adware or spyware.

http://www.moviesplanet.tv/movies

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can do a few things.. Add Hola as a browser extension. It uses a VPN without the loss of speed and unlocks website like Hulu and Netflix. You still need to subscribe to them to get the content.

Or, you can use PopcornTime, which downloads the move to a temp file and it's then deleted.

I'm new to this. Can you explain or give an example of how I would use hola as a browser ext?

I'm interested in watching the new movies that just come out in theaters. Anyone has any recommendation? And no, I don't want those self filmed lousy graphics.

kickass.to new stuff every day

kickass.to is one of the best so far. Download it and delete it from the torrent manager, don't share or seed.

Since this is Thailand, anything is possible. My friend who owns a bar just got taken for a bit of money from the music police. Even though he plays NO Thai music and actually has the legal CDs for all the music he plays. Didn't matter. And they didn't care.

It's entirely possible here they could crack down on this. What an easy money maker. They are keeping a much closer eye on the internet. Again, anything is possible. But highly doubtful. At least for now.

This was in the news couple years ago, even if you have legal CDs, its for personal use, not commercial. I believe GMM were making people pay XX amount per year as a license to use music commercially. Read many reports about them (GMM people) being thuggish when cracking down on bars.

You can do a few things.. Add Hola as a browser extension. It uses a VPN without the loss of speed and unlocks website like Hulu and Netflix. You still need to subscribe to them to get the content.

Or, you can use PopcornTime, which downloads the move to a temp file and it's then deleted.

I'm new to this. Can you explain or give an example of how I would use hola as a browser ext?
its an extension in chrome browser, as is Zenmate ip change

This was in the news couple years ago, even if you have legal CDs, its for personal use, not commercial. I believe GMM were making people pay XX amount per year as a license to use music commercially. Read many reports about them (GMM people) being thuggish when cracking down on bars.

This was just 2 weeks ago. So the scam is still happening. And yes, they were very thuggish. Very. Sad they allow this to happen.

Why not just buy it on bluray, and sleep easy?

With BT you can download a TV show the day it airs, that's why.

Make Hulu or Netflix available here and there would be less of that.

Popcorn Time works brilliant here... and it's free.

And it supports the Chromecast. Result.

I downloaded Popcorn as suggested. To test it I downloaded an episode of 'The Big Bang Theory'. (about 5 minutes.) I started playback but was sidetracked. When I returned, I couldn't find it again. I tried search with the title; I noted they were temp files but could not find the.

How do I get it back?

Is it possible to put file on a USB & watch it on my big TV?

Why not just buy it on bluray, and sleep easy?

Maybe because...

attachicon.gifpirate.jpg

Or maybe because I can't buy the movie in my part of the world. OR if I DO buy it here in physical form, it won't play in my player at home?

Or maybe because, if I "BUY" something, I expect to have unlimited use of it - on WHATEVER device I like to consume my entertainment on. Not have to repurchase it because I want to now watch on my phone while I am stuck in a GD plane for 17 hours trying to get to LOS!!!

Or, maybe because it doesn't matter what movie you want to buy, its ALWAYS the same price? Can you say collusion boys and girls... I knew you could.

Or, maybe because of the format obsolesence that rots your "Purchased" movie collection?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Top post! You get 10,000 likes.

DVD and blue ray media is so pointless and out dated.

There needs to be an easier way to provide what the customer wants. Until then its alternate methods for me

dont download from Public trackers like Pirate bay etc. private is better

Piratebay hasn't had a tracker for years. Most, if not all public torrent sites use public trackers of openbittorrent and publicbt. Private is better? Really? First you have to find an invitation, not easy in itself. Then, they slam you with some ridiculous upload ratio that is impossible to maintain unless you have a seedbox and constantly download the latest releases. Private, no thanks. But Demonoid, although considered private is an exception.

Back on topic: Statistically, you have more chance being hit by a train while buying pirated DVD in Pantip, than being sued by "Dallas Buyers Club".

If you want to get more info on the scam they employ, and other scams from RIAA/MIAA/MAFIA etc, go to http://torrentfreak.com. No, it's not a torrent site. It's a news site that follows what's going on in the P2P arena including torrents, streaming and the actions of the big IP players.

What they try and do is scare you and get you to settle out of court for $5k or whatever

If they win the case in Australia, they'll cast out a big net and then latch on to whoever bites and start the scare tactics, they dont want to take everyone to court, especially seeing judges have started ruling that a person is not their ip address among other things

As for downloading, ive used public trackers and sites like piratebay for TV, movies, games and software for a decade now with no problems

go to piratebay and read the legal threats they have received over the years, some of their responses are great

Chicog, on 29 Oct 2014 - 18:08, said:
delgarcon, on 29 Oct 2014 - 17:33, said:

Why download? There are plenty of web sites where you can stream and watch pretty good quality movies with no risk attached. Try movie4k.to for example, I've also used their site to watch the complete tv series of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Why do you think there is no risk attached? Sites like that are usually riddled with adware and spyware.

I use movies planet for streaming films and TV series. Never had a problem with adware or spyware.

http://www.moviesplanet.tv/movies

I've never had a problem with movie4k either, it's a great site with some good features. Some of you negative posters would do well to do a bit of research before you tell the forum which sites are "usually riddled with adware and spyware". The internet is here to be explored and enjoyed and I get great entertainment through my laptop which I wouldn't get if I was frightened to try what looks like a good web site. There's plenty of software out there if you've got a problem, be brave!

You can use a Browser based solution. You simply paste in a Magnet link or attach a Torrent file. They do the downloading for you and store it in the 'cloud'. At which point you can choose to download and save the file securely via your Browser to play offline or stream from your dedicated link. Also means that you can check out material without wasting your bandwidth. You can also just grab the file that you need of a much bigger Torrent, without having to download the whole thing.

I pay less than 100 baht for a month of service. Use it on my iPad and PC.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just go to the Hola website and download the extension for the browser you use