Professional Printer - For 24”x36” Blueprints

BKK90210

Hi all

Just wondering how easy is it in buying a professional printer in Thailand? Are they widely available? I just need to buy one in Thailand.

What I’m having now here in the US is – HP designerJet 450C, it is used mostly for the architects and engineers for 24”x36” blueprints. Of course this model is the old model so I’m looking for something similar to this – hopefully from HP again, haven’t pick out the new model yet. They cost around $4000-5000 here in the US. and I can’t bring my current one over to thailand because it’s just for 110 only.

I will be doing telecommuting US-thailand, so this printer is the lifeline for me because I need to be able to print out all my engineering plans and structural details myself and with my fresh engineering seal on them, otherwise all my customer building permits in the US won’t pass the permitting process. If I can’t have something similar to this or they’re not widely available in Thailand, then I will have to work out something else with the city officials over here before relocating to thailand.

Thanks and appreciate your help in advance

BKK

Have you already tried looking around in Panthip Plaza?

Guardian

No I havn't because I'm still in the US currently. Just want to know all the locations of the dealer before I get there in a few months since I will not be living in Bangkok so Pantip plaza area might be a bit too congested for me to be driving into there. We're planning to be in Rayong or Chonburi area, so those dealers in/around the BKK fringe will work fine for me. I just need to look for one that sell both large format plotter and ACAD software not too far where we will be living for all the technical purposes.

Be aware a special printer like that which costs $5000 in the US could cost $10,000++ in Thailand--if you can even find one which is a big if. This is NOT an exaggeration! Same goes for the ACAD software unless you go bootlegged.

plan b: bring the software and have a shop do the printing. If that seems inconvenient, just have a thai motorcycle guy run the errands for 100 baht or so.

plan c: bring your printer with you and pay the customs. If you do it right, you can get it refunded when you leave with it. Use a transformer to run your 120V printer on a 220 outlet.

don't forget paper :o

Edited by The Coder

As far as stamping drawings goes, if you need to wet-sign, telecommuting from Thailand simply won't work (unless you send drawings off a week earlier than the permit issue).

Some states do allow for digital stamps to be printed on the drawings directly, if certain requirements are met. Myself, I would photograph the seal with a dated signature, touch it up in Photoshop, and include it in the PDFs of my drawings. This document would then be digitally signed for proper accountability.

The procedure would work in Virginia, but not California as an example.

If you go that route, you can stick with half-size 11x17/A3 printers for check-plots.