TAT urged to put focus on quality tourists to boost revenue

webfact

Just how do they intend to bring in quality tourists over those already coming and spending more money? Are the going to send cracking kidnap squads abroad and drag them over to Thailand and hold them for rams on until they meet thier 2.2 trillion baht level?

Clean the place up, stop the scams, put the seedy side be hide doors and stop the double standards and dual pricing and then the intelligent quality tourists may come freely.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality Tourists ??? All I see wandering around are Chav type Guys with Bottles of Beer in there hand, or Sex pats, with a Young Thai bird with Tatoos latched on to,them, or Van loads of Chinese following a flag going to a "Ladyboy Cabaret Show"???

It's a big world out there, and as much as I do think there is some luxury resorts, the problem is when you walk out on to the streets, they are dirty and rubbish abound.... , hardly attractive....

Just my two cents worth...

You don't get out much then Robert? Perhaps if you didn't stay in such an area yourself, then you'd not see what you want to see??

I wonder what tourists think when they see you?

" oh look Bruce, look over there, he looks like a ( insert whatever description you like in here) ......................

What's makes you think that you're not being labelled by tourists alike? Unless you are dressed in Panama hat, pink striped shirt, blue blazer, guards division tie, docker chinos and brown laced brogues, then you are going to look like a tourist, and be judged accordingly ?

The minister tells them what to do but cannot tell them how to do it. What makes better quality tourists. How do you define them.

Bloody brainless instruction if there is no way to know. Most government ministers in western country's are put into their jobs because they have the credentials to do their specific job.

there isnt much for quality tourist to enjoy in thailand.

beaches? got those all over the world.

culture? got those all over the world.

what thailand has to offer is the best bargirls on the planet...............lol. lets be real thai is known for adult partee!

First get rid of those pesky taxi roaches who refuse fares. My friend visited BKK recently. Stayed at the Kempinski. For a week. She paid for it herself. It was her holiday. Spent the week here shopping and dining. Cheap roadside stalls, expensive restaurants, the works. Bought things at tag value, no bargaining. I believe that qualifies as a 'quality tourist' in TAT's books? She tried to get a taxi from her hotel to Lang Suan. At 2300 hrs, so no traffic jam. The basterd pulled up, turned on the meter, my friend got in, and as he drove off, switched off the meter and said the meter was broken and that the trip would normally cost THB500. She got down. The next taxi that came up the driveway simply refused to go.

AND YOU WANT QUALITY TOURISTS, THAILAND???

This taxi problem is only one of the few problems that are giving you guys all the negative press. Even if you do get 'quality tourists', they will not be spending 'quality money' the way you wished they would, because they would see the scams and insincereity beyond the fake smiles and wais, and will then decide that Thailand is a good and cheap place for a few laughs, and then some, but that's it. It won't be seen as a 'serious' destinationan and therefore, 'serious' money won't be spent.

Grow up, stop demanding as if the world owed you everything and try to give something back for a start. A bunch of bumbling idiots, you lot.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

Same old, same old. They have been saying this for as long as I can remember. SInce Thaksin was PM. They wan't quality tourists bla bla bla. The thing they don't seem to understand is "quality" tourists want a "quality" destination. There are places with far better beaches, better english, better infrastructure and with much shorter flights available for wealthy western tourists.

There are 2 main reasons (above all other reasons) that tourists consider when they take Thailand into the equation. A cheap sex holiday or a cheap beach holiday. The thing is though, Thailand is not that cheap anymore and there are now destinations in the same price range that are just as attractive to the beach tourist.

Ok lets assume for a moment that "quality" tourists are going to want to visit the Northern regions of Thailand, so they arrive into the International Airport in Bangkok and from there jump on a tour bus which if they did their homework would find that it is an extremely unregulated and unsafe mode of transport with overworked unqualified drivers and buses that are less than mechanically sound - not even going to mention the very safe minibus network

Anybody want to do a head count on the injuries and fatalities that occur on public transport each year including buses minibuses and ferries and like everything else here is most likely underreported

Unfortunately Thailands safety record for tourists is going the wrong direction and this is just one aspect of the many that could be discussed here as to why people will choose to holiday elsewhere

Address the issues and the rest will follow - nice TV adds don't cut it anymore

There are plenty of flights to plenty of airports in the NE. The airports aren't bad at all as most are fairly modern. Assuming quality doesn't mean high roller, but means middle class people, then I think the travel to and fro is ok.

But I'm not sure what attractions are there. Ok, there are some semi interesting places for a day out, but they're spread out all over the map, so that visiting them becomes quite arduous. Of course, the road trVel required has inherent risk. And there probably isn't one "must see" item.

The hot season and wet season are a no no, but the cool season is very pleasant.

I live in Isaan and when people visit, I always tell them to just chill out and don't bother to do too much. The only tourist you could really attract are sort of Eco friendly people who want to stay in a small village environment as a kind of life style experience. But I don't think you could make a tourist industry out of it.

There is the Mekong River with some nice villages along its banks, Chiang Kan, for instance, but a couple of coaches would fill the place.

So I can't see that the minister has a flier here, but then again, it's about sound bites and looking and sounding good, not actual results, isn't it.

• Like 2

Try to become a quality destination first....

it is.

Number 1 in bargirls..............................lol.

PS northern thailand. you want quality tourist -1st thing get rid of the mos-quitos. Hiso dont like mosquitos.

Edited by choochoo
  • Like 1

Last thing I heard is that you have to take an IQ test before you're allowed to board a plane heading to Bangkok.

cheesy.gif i wonder what a Thai IQ test would consist of ?

Thai IQ test (100 Points).

Please choose one of the following answers:

Q1. How are you?

A. I'm fine.

B. I'm fine.

C. I'm fine.

D. All of the above.

End of test. giggle.gif

E.my name is Somchai

60 points -test passed.

And would you like a driving licence in addition to your new diploma ?

''TAT'' really is the right name for these people. In Western lingo it means 'rubbish' or 'junk' that nobody wants, so it aptly fits the Morons who run this whole caboodle. They live in Cloud Cuckoo Land where all you have to do is talk and everything will happen by magic. If nothing happens it won't matter as it's always someone else's fault and their wages will still be paid.

• Like 2

Definition of quality tourist:

a rich foreigner willing to spend a lot of money but:

- never ever complains

- doesn't mind if 10,000 Watts speaker from a monk party nearby his hotel are driving him deaf

- doesn't "criticize" feudal regime

- enjoys gogo bars shows and "services" but never admit they exist publicly or on social media

- always smile like an idiot even when is being scammed or someone shout "YOU!" at him

- enjoys visiting hundreds of temples that look all alike while being overcharged to do so and praise Thai monolitic culture and arts

- must say all the times that Thai food is good, even after his third food poisoning

- always dress elegant even under noon sun and possibly don't sweat too much

- always stay calm even when struggling with insane requests from immigration officers

- must stop and stand during Thai national athem

- if something bad happens to him, he must be willing to compromize because that is "Thai way" which is sacred and untouchable

- stay in the country the least possible, giving minimal inconvenient to Thai, don't expect anything or thinks he has any rights, after leaving telling everyone how positive his experience in Thailand was.

did I forget anything?

...and spent as much money as possible.

You have got to admire the total ignorance and stupidity of this....

Thailands economy and tourist industry is only going one way... DOWN! and they keep talking about "Quality Tourists" Normal thinking people, would consider ANY tourist a good asset in the current situation. But of course this is not the Thai-way.

This country is going to hurt a lot financially, before somebody wakes up and faces reality. The disadvantage of a culture, not willing to face facts and afraid of real responisbility.

• Like 1

I see we have the "white settler" dinosaurs rearing their heads again lambasting the trashy tourists, that despite what they think, are contributing towards the Thai economy.

Stop your whinging, Thailand is as guilty if attracting the less desirables and if you don't like it, and they so offend you,move to an area where they don't bother you.

I actually consider the worst type of tourist is the ones who came here years ago, settled, and then think they are locals, who's only contribution is to whine and bitch daily,and wait for their pension cheques, believing their like some kind of pu yai.

Thailand like Parts of Spain will always attract the people you despise the most, but when they're here and spending 50-100,000 baht a fortnight as opposed to spending that a year, partying and enjoying themselves, who do you think is the bigger contributor to the Thai econmy? The retired old boring expat dinosaur who thinks he's a local and acts like he owns the place, or the tens of thousands of loud, beer guzzling, party animals spending cash like its a holiday of a lifetime??

Thailand needs these tourists whether you like it or not, maybe time to get off your moral high horses from time to time, and even ask yourself " what am I doing towards making Thailand a better place to visit/live?"

Quality had nothing to do with how you dress, oh and I'd rather see pot bellied beer guzzlers any day of the week over an old dinosaur wearing socks with sandals !!!!! ?

• Like 1

When my friends (without kids) visit that have big money, they generally prefer to do the backpacker adventurer thing.

My rich friends with kids, will generally avoid coming because they know they cannot buy a consist VIP, safe vacation from point a to b to c.

• Like 1

for ages it seems TAT wants middle-class tourists coming for 2 weeks, paying 1,000 Baht a night in hotels, travelling on expensive private mini-buses.

unfortunately these people get scared/cancel easily at the news of military coups, medieval/barbaric murders and all the other problems perfectly solvable, yet unsolved, and documented via the internet

the irony is the old school travelers would have come regardless, now they're in Cambodia, Myramar, Vietnam, South America

as you say.....up to you, Thailand...

Edited by hoyism

Bored of TAT and quality tourist nonsense.

"Quality" tourists often stay in expensive Thai and foreign owned hotels, eat in their restaurants and use Hotel drivers, hotel shops.... and the revenue ends up in foreign and wealthy (often) tax avoiding companies and individuals.

How about encouraging Mr and Mrs average, and backpackers who often (and generally) stay in cheaper hotels, eat out at locally owned restaurants/food stalls, buy tickets from small independent travel agents to visit Thailand. Hotels, restaurants, bars travel agents etc in the Tourist areas are suffering due to the mismanagement of the tourist industry, its time the officials opened their eyes. By all means attract "quality" tourists, but don't forget where it all began

What I see is White Trash who seem to think they are the masters of the universe and have a given privilege to mess up a beautiful country.

so why Thai begs "the masters" (you called them that) to come here?

Go ahead, stop all tourist visas and show'em you can do without them! Damn right! Put your money where your mouth is.

BTW Thai are very good.... at messing up their country, need no help from anybody.

beatdeadhorse.gif it's the same old story with no idea how to achieve it. You could write a book on all the issues that need to be covered and yet write all the benefits on the back of a postage stamp. Until Thailand's greed levels are significantly reduced the only thing that will be achievable is a continuing decline in tourists. This is not rocket science however I doubt many could score well on any IQ test.

northeastern region to listen to local authorities about problems they face in the promotion of tourist attractions in their respective areas

What tourist attractions ? Dinosaurs and Central shopping centres?

there are some good ones that are not in bars ,just Travel around , its stupid to say there are no tourists attractions ,get book ,visit some national parks ,standing stones ,wall paintings ,all well looked after by the government ,lot more to Thailand than Miss Pattaya ,if you look