scammed out of a house deposit but very lucky

I put a 300 000 baht deposit on a house a while ago and it was through a agent. I sat down with the agent and thai lady owner. I handed over the depoist and we took photos of her with it. She counted it with a winning smile. I was waiting for the loan to be completed throuh my wifes work and bank and a week later i got a call from my wife that the home owner was trying to sell the land to someone else. We were very lucky that someone recognised her there and called our agent who came quickly. The mafia were waiting for her out the front waiting for the money she made from already sellibg the house. My wife went down and said give the depoist back or go to jail for a long time. She gave us the money back and that was it. My question is if she sold the house to someone else and did a runner would i be able to get my money back from the agent who also worked for he bank we got the loan from. Anyone had this kind of problem.

• Like 1

No I was fortunate this never happened to me. But 2 points:

1) I never paid a deposit. Only paid in full at government office when land/property was transferred.

2) I always had a lawyer with me making sure everything is ok, i.e. with chanote, all documents, etc.

Why was there a need to pay a deposit?

• Like 1

I had a lawyer there as well. I had to put money down while waiting for my wifes loan to be approved. The agent was from the bank. It was a second job for her, as she made money on the sale. Just thought that is how it was done in thailand and didnt realise some one could be such a turd.

a house and the land are two animals. you can buy the house and the land can be owned by someone else. thats the whole problem with foreigners not being able to own land.

so she had a right to sell the land to whomever??

a house and the land are two animals. you can buy the house and the land can be owned by someone else. thats the whole problem with foreigners not being able to own land.

so she had a right to sell the land to whomever??

another expert

• Like 2