possessed tablet

Showbags

Samsung galaxy 8......i get a box that pops up on some websites, only sometimes, but far more frequently on facebook and sometimes never on other sites....it say 'cannot establish a secure connection' and cannot load those sites....but connection is ok and strong....funny thing is i can go to other site and use it, doing it now here, but open facebook sign says cannot. Only way to stop it is turnoff the tablet and turn back on, then works ok for 10 or 15min and then same.......any ideas how to fix ?

I recently purchased Norton Mobile Security. One license will be good for all of my mobile devices. Among other features, it provides anti-malware, web protection and an app advisor.. I have already uninstalled two troublesome apps on its advice. It sounds to me as though you've got misbehaving apps or a malware problem. The free program Malwarebytes can solve a malware problem but I haven't seen any program with the nice app adviser that Norton has. You may want to consider getting it or Googling for a free app advisor. Good luck!

A simple and frequent cause for failure to communicate with SSL web sites is having the device's clock wrong: in the past or in the future.

This makes the certificates presented by the web sites invalid (either expired or not valid yet) since they have validity start and end dates.

Check that the clock (time, date and year) is correct on your tablet.

Malware, as mentioned, is a possibility so a scan with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware should be performed.

There was a notice a few months ago by Google and Mozilla that certificates older than 60 months will start to be rejected. Rejecting SSL Certificates

Another possibility is your windows root update KB may not be up to date. Techrepublic and the Microsoft KB - How to get a Root Certificate Update for Windows.

Check for updates for your OS and your web browser app - most websites have now completey disabled SSL, and are now only using TLS for HTTPS connections, after the POODLE vulnerability was found.

SSL is no more.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I have bno idea what a couple of the posts above are about...

i loaded the malware and norton for android and ran them.....found 1 file.....deleted it and 4 other apps suspected of being vulnerable or something.....anyway, no fix, still the same prob

I read the following in some other forum for a similar issue. You could try it as it cannot do any harm.

1. In home screen, open your running apps (double-square thingy in bottom-right menu) and clear them all (slide left/right).
  2. Go to Settings -> Accounts
    • Select "Google", select your account@gmail, hit the menu (three buttons, top-right), and select "Remove Account"
  3. Go to Settings -> Apps
    • Slide right to "ALL" and find the YouTube and Gmail apps.
      • In each app, do this in the following order:
        1. Clear cache.
        2. Clear data.
        3. Force Stop.
        4. Uninstall updates (if present).
  4. Go to Settings -> Storage
    • Click "Cached data" and hit 'OK' when it warns you about clearing the data (don't worry, this won't dump your stuff, just cached app data).
  5. Go to Home and open Google Play -- it *should* ask you for your gmail/Google account -- enter your email/password info and maybe update the YouTube app while there.

EDIT

Of course, you could do a factory reset too.

Make sure you backup your data on the device.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

I have bno idea what a couple of the posts above are about...

i loaded the malware and norton for android and ran them.....found 1 file.....deleted it and 4 other apps suspected of being vulnerable or something.....anyway, no fix, still the same prob

This is why i stopped posting so much in the internet forum. A skilled person offers a solution based on technical and/or experienced knowledge.

OP basically says "I don't understand you and can't be bothered to google based on your comments as a pointer, now can someone else fix the problem"

Your web browser cannot negotiate SSL - update it, and update your tabs firmware to get a new root certificate bundle!

^forgive me for having no idea....and not all clever like when it comes to tech talk......i should be flogged...

But on a brighter not, the post above by Ravip......miraculously....with its clear and precise instructions....seems to have done the trick........12 hours now and no hiccup, fingers drossed i have not just jinxed it......so many thanks Ravip.....although straight after doing it when some stuff disappeared and a website would not load anymore at all...i was worried...but i turned it off and back on and all was good.

• Like 1

although straight after doing it when some stuff disappeared and a website would not load anymore at all...i was worried...but i turned it off and back on and all was good.

After clearing the cache & data, it is normal for the browser to become slow at the start.

Anyway, All's Well That Ends Well!

smile.png

Spoke to soon.....

While the original problem has not come back...a worse one has.

Some websites load and work normally....while others do not....examples..

facebook and ninemsn.com.au to not......but thaivis and hotmail do.

Whats going on....try to attach screenshot of how fb appears...

Edited by Showbags