Tourist-run-by-jetski-jeep-Phuket-beach and claiming a part of the beach

FritsSikkink

Tourist run over by jet-ski jeep on Phuket beach

Phuket Gazette - October 30, 2014 | 05:22 PM

1_20141030172227609_bfGNbOSLMQWUxPtfUcfM
The woman was lying on a mat on Kata Beach when a 'beach boy' drove over the top of her with a vehicle towing an unloaded jet-ski trailer. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: A tourist was run over by a vehicle towing a jet-ski trailer on a Phuket beach on Tuesday, prompting a jet-ski management and safety meeting this afternoon.

The Phuket Gazette was notified of the incident by a foreign man, who asked not to be named, who witnessed the incident on Kata Beach.

“A woman was run over by a black jeep towing a jet-ski trailer while on her mat in the shade up by the sea wall on Kata Beach,” he said.

“The vessel had been unloaded in the water line 60 meters from the wall. [There was] no reason for the jeep to be up that high as there was plenty of room to turn 360 degrees without any maneuvering to return to the ramp.”

The woman suffered only minors bruises on her leg, said Jirawut Veerakarn, president of the Kata-Karon Jet-Ski Club.

“Luckily, she was not seriously injured in the incident,” he told the Gazette.

Mr Jirwaut explained the accident after questioning jet-ski operators who were present at the time.

“I was told that the woman was lying on her mat on the beach when a jet-ski boy, who was driving recklessly, ran the vehicle over her. She became trapped underneath, but was able to crawl out,” he said.

“The operator took her immediately to Bangkok Hospital Phuket for treatment.”

The woman was discharged shortly after and returned to the beach the following day, Mr Jirawut added.

“This case was not reported to police as the woman was not seriously injured,” he said.

Nevertheless, policies regarding the unloading of jet-skis on the beach have been altered, and a jet-ski zone will be implemented and roped off.

“There will be only one area on the beach where jet-skis can be unloaded. No other vehicles will be allowed to drive on the beach, except along the designated path to the jet-ski drop-off area,” Mr Jirawut explained.

“We will also install ropes and buoys around the zone so that it is clear where tourists can come to rent a jet-ski, and which area to avoid for those who do not wish to rent one.

“I will also tell operators to take care when transporting the jet-skis. They must drive slowly and have at least one person watching out for people on the beach.”

Officials from Karon Municipality met this afternoon with police officers and other relevant officials to discuss the future of jet-skis on the beach and safety for the incoming high season.

“The high season is coming, and so are more tourists. We want to make sure that Kata-Karon beaches are safe and fun,” said Mr Jirawut.

Karon Municipality Chief Administration Officer (Palad) Weerasak Anekwongsawat had not yet been told about the accident, but vowed to look into the problem and to help support better beach security.

“The Marine Office is the one that deals with jet-skis in Phuket. However, I will make sure that Karon Municipality looks into the issue,” he said.

“The high season is coming, and we must make sure that we have safe and clean beaches to welcome tourists from around the world.”

— Chutharat Plerin

- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourist-run-by-jetski-jeep-Phuket-beach/38309#sthash.aLhojBSn.dpuf

How much did the jet-ski operator give the tourist for every scratch she suffered? cheesy.gif

You must be out of your mind. She owes him money, because she was a speed bump which caused thousands baht in damage to jet ski and the jeep

• Like 2

How much did the jet-ski operator give the tourist for every scratch she suffered? cheesy.gif

You must be out of your mind. She owes him money, because she was a speed bump which caused thousands baht in damage to jet ski and the jeep

Don't forget the cost of the ride to the hospital. biggrin.png

Anyway, the Thai Prime Minister warned that foreign women wearing bikinis are in danger in Thailand, however, being involved in a car accident, whilst sitting on a beach, is possibly not what he had in mind. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

I used to go to Kata beach quite often and used to watch them towing the scum skis off the beach with a motorbike.

They used to take long run traveling along the beach at stupid speeds just get stuck half way then do it again.

I always dreaded a child running down to the sea and being hit by one of these morons and what would happen to them.

Now I know .Absolutely nothing.

To digress a little I was talking to an English guy here with his family last and he was saying that where there you used to see many ads on travel agents windows promoting Thai holidays, he has not seen one this year and a lot of people back there are following all the bad press this place is getting.

Plus he said when you can get flights to other countries in Europe for as little as £25. Who is going to come here to get ripped off all the time.

Sorry to say but I think the brutal murders on koh tao was that final straw for a lot of people.

• Like 1

Man, I would have played that out like I was going for an Oscar! I would have been flopping all over the place...I would nail them for the injury, plus any other ache and pain I may have had in my lifetime, plus "time out of water for repair". After I got paid, I'd return to the same place on the beach on my mat 5 mins later......with a bunch of hot girls, food, and beer.

• Like 1

If you think last year was bad just wait til this hi season.

Korean tour groups spending Nothing in local shops. Then you have the Russians, well they are the Worst Tourist ever.

Get rid of the No visa Russians, then this place can move forward to a better destination.

I remember 8 years ago many expats here spending money enjoying there lives,enjoying the Thai people and now many expats Running away from here to spend there money everywhere else but LOS.

Yet Phuket is building more places that will remain empty all hi season then go belly up next year, what fore thought.

Build it and THEY WILL NOT COME.

I used to go to Kata beach quite often and used to watch them towing the scum skis off the beach with a motorbike.

They used to take long run traveling along the beach at stupid speeds just get stuck half way then do it again.

I always dreaded a child running down to the sea and being hit by one of these morons and what would happen to them.

Now I know .Absolutely nothing.

To digress a little I was talking to an English guy here with his family last and he was saying that where there you used to see many ads on travel agents windows promoting Thai holidays, he has not seen one this year and a lot of people back there are following all the bad press this place is getting.

Plus he said when you can get flights to other countries in Europe for as little as £25. Who is going to come here to get ripped off all the time.

Sorry to say but I think the brutal murders on koh tao was that final straw for a lot of people.

I wish you right but I just had dinner with a group of around 20 college kids stsying at my hotel and who are going to KT for a diving lesson vacation and all they had to say about the KT murder was they now felt extra safe it wouldn't happen again.