Clutchless upshifts

wowjudo

Interesting thread.

It's about finesse rather than speed, surely.

The greatest strain of miss-timing it is not on the gears, but the poor chain.

The test would be getting it right on a shaft drive motor-cycle.

Getting it wrong on a Beemer would be expensive.

Not quite sure why you want to do this, since it will give you no performance advantage, waiting around for the revs to be right and will probably end in tears.

If you break a clutch cable in the middle of nowhere you can do it to get home, but they fit a clutch for a purpose.

AllanB,

Do you ride a bike with a clutch and manual gears?

You only need to match revs for clutchless downshifts. For upshifts, you can do it pretty much anytime you like.

Yes NV400 custom, it is pretty much the same with any manual gearbox, but at high rpm it is difficult to achieve that synchronisation and while you are learning you are wrecking the gearbox, unless you have a sacrificial bike or gearbox.

Now I am no Barry Sheen (showing my age) but some quick hand/foot coordination would have the same effect without the interim damage, even then fast changing is not good for the gearbox.

But then we live in a throw away society and as you all know I don't hold with boy racers on the open road, they are a bloody menace, at some point in life you have to grow up. On a race track it is a different matter, where sacrifice isn't a problem.