Hankering for the "good ol' days"?

Cypress Hill

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bothered about sex (don't do bars or alcohol),

Prices haven't gone up that much in the last 5 years, as far as I can see.

Would like a democratic government.

I remember i liked to drink Blue Ice beer about 8 years ago, 4 big bottles for 100 baht from the 711. Chang was around 32 baht then.

A big deep fried seabass was 150 baht in a nice open air restaurant with live music. Costs double that now for a small one.

Also prawns are much more expensive now.

On Samui a whole lobster on the beach in a restaurant for 500 baht, also a bungalow with aircon for 500 on the beach.

Later prices on samui went up very fast. i remember coral cove resort on chaweng costed 1800 baht a night for a gardenview bungalow, costs double now. This was when the tsunami came. Sandy beach resort costed then 1300 for a small bungalow with breakfast.

20 years ago i paid 100 baht for a bungalow made of natural materials and a fan (only electricity at night) on phi phi island. Then there was only 1 resort with real bungalows made of stone. At night there was a huge generator running to supply power for the island, there were loads of monkeys and also loads of small red lobsters/crabs.

But prices have gone up fast last years and the quality went down. Also foodportions are very small now, kao pad kung comes with 2-3 small prawns these days.

• Like 1

The thing is as wages go up skills and education need to as well. They simply haven't so there is little reason for foreign companies (the major large employers here) to not just go to another country where the wages are lower and the skills are equally lacking.

Tescos are trying to sell. If Tescos want to leave you have to ask some serious questions.

Thailand will struggle to advance because of corruption and so many Thais that never leave the country believing they can do no wrong , particularly the vast amount of over spolit men.

Major reform and money needs to be spent on education before the country advances, it will take decades, if it ever happens at all.

Thailand pays the highest amount of money per student of the whole world! , that's serious. It doesn't show though.

The thing is as wages go up skills and education need to as well. They simply haven't so there is little reason for foreign companies (the major large employers here) to not just go to another country where the wages are lower and the skills are equally lacking.

Tescos are trying to sell. If Tescos want to leave you have to ask some serious questions.

Thailand will struggle to advance because of corruption and so many Thais that never leave the country believing they can do no wrong , particularly the vast amount of over spolit men.

Major reform and money needs to be spent on education before the country advances, it will take decades, if it ever happens at all.

Thailand pays the highest amount of money per student of the whole world! , that's serious. It doesn't show though.

What's it spent on though, the school principles merc and his mia nois ?

You have to study the som tam index. It's nearly doubled in the last five years.

• Like 2

When I were a lad beer cost nought and me dinner cost a penny. ...

The baht is holding it's own against the Aussie dollar, so Aussies will be feeling the exchange rate. In my case I had enough cash imported to ride out a correction but if I were exchanging a pension for baht each month I would be feeling it.

The secret I believe is to keep some funds in 3 or so currency's so you can manually hedge against the inevitable currency dips.

• Like 1

Unless all hell breaks loose, I think things are just going to tick-tock slowly ahead. For now, Thailand looks stable. Let's see how many tourists flock here this year. Still, I see the cost of living, cost of imports, cost of labor, cost of "P" & "B" wink.png going up....steadily. My retirement is going to stay the same for 2 years and 9 months longer. Then I get a nice social security boost...at 62 (if no laws are enacted during that time, to delay it).

That being said, the kids will all be cut to the quick...like I was. My youngest will be 18. Going to have to pull his weight. Effective gain from social security and child support stoppage will increase my spending power by 70 percent.

Just keep the beer within that cost range...I should make it to the grave with a cold Leo, a full belly, and a sexy smile on my face.

• Like 2

I think you meant ..overweight ,burnt out, unwanted elsewhere , unattractive , usually financially quite poor and quite politically incorrect sex starved barflies smile.png

Or is it the much younger cheap , ,un kept , utopia and cheap drug seeking , ultra poor , sandal wearing with 3 shorts , 3 shirts and a bong in a dirty backpack, beach-combing , bar fly you meant ?

I think you meant ..overweight ,burnt out, unwanted elsewhere , unattractive , usually financially quite poor and quite politically incorrect sex starved barflies smile.png

Or is it the much younger cheap , ,un kept , utopia and cheap drug seeking , ultra poor , sandal wearing with 3 shorts , 3 shirts and a bong in a dirty backpack, beach-combing , bar fly you meant ?

Deliberately avoided the age aspect because it's irrelevant.

Your descriptions are based on stereotypes

• Like 2

Yes i give you that , but where else ( apart from the flesh pots of the Philippines ) can you see so many of the above stereotypes ?

• Like 1

Most of my pals are health and exercise nuts, no bars or alcohol.

You must be mixing with the wrong people!

• Like 2

CH welcome back.... been on holiday ?....making a movie ?....just come off suspension ?

Good to have you back.... my favorite member of the ALBC thumbsup.gif

xsleep.png.pagespeed.ic.vIsRP_3VHZ.png

Dont worry, we have all been there.

Twenty years ago the mrs was paying $100 per month for a condo, the same room today rents for $100 per month.

Tend to stick to Thai places and avoid rip off farang clip joints.

Yes I yearn for the good ole days, Amarit draft beer, where the heck did Kloster go, what happened to Sang Thip?

I think you meant ..overweight ,burnt out, unwanted elsewhere , unattractive , usually financially quite poor and quite politically incorrect sex starved barflies

Most of my pals are health and exercise nuts, no bars or alcohol.

You must be mixing with the wrong people!

What on earth are you talking about?

I didn't mention friends, did I?

CH welcome back.... been on holiday ?....making a movie ?....just come off suspension ?

Good to have you back.... my favorite member of the ALBC thumbsup.gif

xsleep.png.pagespeed.ic.vIsRP_3VHZ.png

What qualifications does it take to become a member of the ALBC?

Speaking of which ... what does the ALBC stand for?

Remember, if you don't stand for something ... you'll fall for anything.

You have to study the som tam index. It's nearly doubled in the last five years.

About 6 years ago a burger from the Mac costed 20 baht, i just saw the price of it and it was 28 now. That's 40% more.

My salary didn't go up 40% in 6 years and also then i got much more bath for the euro.

Ah ... "The Good 'ole Days"

Like, on Thai Visa, when we used to sit around the campfire together and sing (insert whatever song tickles your fancy)

When, if for example your nick was David48 ... people would stop you in the street and ask .. 'Dave, how are the kids?'

48 ... no way ... you don't look a day over 42 ... laugh.png

A Leo was Bt 12, Beer Singha was a proper size bottle and was a much more expensive Bt 15

LadyBoys looked like men in dresses.

Petrol (Gas) was Bt 30 a litre

Pork Noodles was Bt 15 (outside Bangkok, could be got for Bt 12).

The worst we could get was maybe Glandular Fever or a dose of the Clap rather then that other nasty (too nasty to mention)

The Sun used to rise in the East and set in the West

The Natives Indigenous Tribes knew their place.

Wild Elephants roamed through Soi #4, instead of the Buffaloes today.

Call me a Dreamer ... biggrin.png

Actually, I was Backpacking through Europe 'back in those days'