Address paper from immigration?

Asheron

Now that i have a non-immigration visa i can actually get that "address confirmation" from immigration so i can get a 1 year thai drivers license.

My questions are:

How much is the fee for this "address" paper?

Can i go alone to the immigration office or does my child have to go with me ("used" my child as reason for non-imm visa)?

What else besides passport do i have to have with me to immigration?

You will only need the residency certificate from Immigration when it is time for your 5 year license

They consider the 1 year license to be a temporary one and I guess they figure that if you survive the first year, then you should be rewarded with a 5 year license

The office that issues the license in Ubon have twice said i need residence certificate from immigration. But TiT... no one really knows what's going on :)

To get a one year driver's license you will need

1. An (original, not a copy) Affidavit of Residence issued by your Embassy or a Residence Certificate issued by immigration. The cost of the Embassy certificate for US citizens is $50, the cost of the residence certificate from immigration depends on the office that you use and has been reported that it is free, 200baht or 500 baht. I pay 500 baht.It has been reported that some offices will no longer issue them.
  2. Passport, including a photo copy of the main page and the Thai visa page
  3. Medical Report- original (you may obtain at any hospital or clinic for the purpose of a driver’s license). I get mine at the local clinic, cost 50 baht.
  4. Valid State / International driver’s license
  5. 105.00 Baht fee

Note: there are separate licenses for motor cycles and cars and if you want bothe you will have to have 2 of the above. Copies for the second license are accepted.

You will have to watch a training video (1 hour), take a physical test (color blindness, reaction time, and depth perception), take a written test, and may have to take a driving test..

In order to get the Residence certificate at immigration you will need;

1. Your passport, copies of the bio page, your visa, extension stamp, entry stamp, and TM6 card.

2. Proof of where you live, it is a Residence Certificate

3. Two pictures

4. The fee, if any.

5. A smile.

Edited by wayned

• 2 months later...

I successfully applied for a residence certificate at Bangkok Immigration at Chaengwattana today. 200 baht fee asked for, no receipt given.

Oddly, the transaction was directed to the J2 counters at CW Immigration where they also seem to process tourist visa extensions.

At any rate, what they seemed to need/want was:

--1-page Residence Certificate application form from the Immigration website

--photocopies of my passport facepage, prior extension and arrival stamps, and my departure card.

What I didn't bring, but it seemed I needed to, was my current 90-day reporting slip. They kept asking if I had done my 90 day reporting when looking at my passport and papers. And I kept answering no, I hadn't, because my time wasn't anywhere near due yet. But in the end, the officer handling my documents seemed to explain that they required me to give them my 90-day slip (or a copy of it) in order for them to submit my application. (I don't usually keep my 90-days slip in my passport, because I lost it once that way, so usually prefer to keep it stored away at home until needed. Thus, I didn't have the slip with me today).

In the end, one of the other officers there looked me up on their computer, and printed out a copy of my current 90-day slip, which they then attached to the rest of my Residence Certificate application paperwork.

Gave me a little card back saying I should receive the Residence Certificate sent to my home by EMS within 3 weeks -- after they've had to chance to do whatever they will do to verify that my stated address is correct. Have no idea what that entails.

post-58284-0-76070600-1422346242_thumb.j post-58284-0-56820300-1422346243_thumb.j

I had other business to do at Immigration today, so the residence certificate application was just a secondary item that I had been thinking about in terms of an upcoming application for a Thai driver's license. In searching through the forum here, I didn't find a clear list of just what is supposed to be submitted along with the residence certificate application itself, so I bought along the usual passport pages and departure card photocopies.

Just in case, I brought along some other address related things like a copy of my home lease and some utility bills listing my name and address. But the Immigration folks didn't ask for anything else beyond my application form and the passport and departure card photocopies -- all of which they also wanted me to sign, as is usual.

BTW, re Wayned's post just above, at least at CW Immigration in BKK today...

--they didn't ask for or say anything about photos being required.

--and, they didn't ask for anything actually proving or showing my residence, other than wanting a copy of my current 90-days reporting receipt, and filling out the application form that including me writing my current address.

As always in such matters, YMMV from one Immigration office to another.\

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Residence Certificate in the mail by EMS at home yesterday.

This was the first one I ever requested or received.

So, maybe this is normal, but it struck me as being a bit odd -- the entire 1 page document addressed to me was entirely in Thai language, even down to the number references.

Not a single word of English or a single Roman numeral anywhere in the letter. I wasn't even sure what it was, and had to get my wife to translate it for me.

Arrived just about two weeks after my submitting the paperwork at CW Immigration in Bangkok.

There should be no fee at any immigration office, anything that is charged will go into pockets.

I was asked for a 'service fee' of 500b at Lopburi, I said no thank you I don't do tea money.

Was told "wait till next time".

Found a small red sticker in my passport when I looked at it, this I discarded.

Next time has been and gone without a problem.

You can also get the same letter from your embassy but they will charge.

Incidentally I keep a copy of the letter that I use as proof of residence whenever needed, such as getting into national parks as a Thai resident.