Noise Control Law in Thailand?

Vero

Its all just as bad as those ignorant truck drivers that always seem to drive around in at least pairs advertising whatever crap isnt selling well. Sometimes you even get a convoy of these aholes.

I just wish I had my side cutters on hand when I spotted the power wires very close to the rear or the pickup...... so so tempting to reach across from my motorbike and cut all the damn racket these idiots generate. Im sure one day the devil in me will do just that.

Sure when I was in my 20s I listened to live bands that were extremely loud, but they were in places where loud noise was to be expected.

Im a bit older now and hopefully a bit wiser, sure I didnt listen to all the advice given by my parents but then sometimes we just gotta learn the hard way. Now Im very aware of hearing damage and looking after ones teeth (Amongst many other things). I too detest kareoke and luckily out in Mae Rim its pretty good and quiet.

Gotta pick your areas and hope dickheads dont move close by......been lucky so far.

To the OP.....you have my condolences

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, first, yes, Thailand does have noise pollution laws. Enforcment is spotty, however.

In many situations, friendly negotiations can work if there is a persistent problem of some sort. It used to be among polite Thais that 21:00 was a general limit, not always observed but when known to be running late everyone was invited to the party or apologies were made in advance to neighbors. Village fests with modern sound systems could be (and have increasingly been) a problem, but not a regular thing. Karaokes are a relatively new commercial phenomenon that exascerbates the situation. Mixed zoning is a problem. As alluded to above by someone, pressures can from time to time be brought to bear, but that is not the usual way of solving this sort of problem in Thailand.

For those in villages and urban areas where local announcements are made by loud speaker, understand that that is a very traditional and inexpensive way to get the local news around, especially in rural communities. It is now "quaint," and it will probably disappear relatively soon, but remember that it has its practical origin in a non-literate society.

The problem of Norwegians and others with loud bikes past midnight is also a new problem. Putting estrogen in their drinking water might help diminish their adolescent testosterone levels.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

My neighbour which is a few houses next to us is still having a karaoke party very loud until mid night!

I sympathize with you, but your only option is to move to a better neighborhood... I live in CM and don't have this issue...

if noise bothers you move to a quiet soi - they do exist, or leave thailand

to be honest there are many countries much noisier than thailand, at least here they dont honk their horns night and day.

in some countries every time a taxi sees a foreigner they honk at them. now that drives you crazy!

Don`t you think you are being just a tinsy, winsy bit harsh here?

Down my way there is a karaoke that takes place once or sometimes twice a week. It`s almost half a mile away yet during the late hours it is still loud enough to make the windows vibrate at the rear of our house. I said to my wife, imagine if that karaoke was only a few homes away or in the next soi, it would be a living nightmare.

Even in the so-called quite sois it is still possible to be lumbered with neighbors from hell, it can happen to any of us, anywhere at anytime, plus for many it is not so easy to just shut shop and move to somewhere else.

As far as I know there is noise control laws in Thailand, the trick being is having these laws enforced.

Recently walked into the new Central festival with my family and all of us had to put our hands over our ears from the excessive noise. There was a band playing on the ground floor, we entered on the top floor. Now that was OTT.

Folks just need to grow a set of kahunas and confront, albeit nicely.

"Kahunas" and "cajones" are two very different things. If you referred to a Kahuna as cajones you may be subjected to unfortunate spells.

hey, English only! Or we get abducted again to the Mexican subforum or some other forum we didn't know existed.

• 2 weeks later...

if noise bothers you move to a quiet soi - they do exist, or leave thailand

to be honest there are many countries much noisier than thailand, at least here they dont honk their horns night and day.

in some countries every time a taxi sees a foreigner they honk at them. now that drives you crazy!

You obviously haven't been to Pattaya. In addition to the taxis honking outside Tesco-lotus is a taxi desk where there sits a man who screams "taxi" at every farang he sees.

May be they know I wrote to Thai visa, now they just stopped! (12:10am). They are really inconsiderate! Tomorrow is Monday!

WAIT--WHAT???!!!!

A THAI?????---INCONSIDERATE?!!!!--JING LOR???!!!

I must be thinking of the other thais--with the THAINESS and 12 values and the smiles,etc..

Maybe it was a relative of thiers that was in my apt unannounced sat morning at 830am

hammering away on concrete with a sledgehammer--didnt even glance at me.....wai2.gif

ps..when packing to come here--the No 1 item on my list..EARPLUGS..a must have here-

and i recently downloaded a white noise app on my phone--headphones as well---No 2..

Thais don't complain because they consider it to be confrontation, and they avoid confrontation if they can.

Unless there is a foreigner involved. Then they grab the nearest pipe, stick, bottle, or machete and attack. If you're lucky, random Thais not even involved in the incident, will stop their cars and bikes to get in a few swings and kicks.

• Thanks 1

It is not only Thais that make excessive noise. Within a short distance down my street I have 2 neighbors (both Norwegian) who own Harley Davidson motorcycles. Often they return home, separately, in the wee hours and rev and rev their bikes outside their gates until the girlfriend comes out to unlock and open it for them. I presume the purpose of revving the engines is to wake up the girlfriends but it wakes up everybody else including all the dogs. After 10 minutes it quietens down only to have our peace disturbed when the other ***** returns home. I've tried talking to them, they speak little English, and all they do is shrug with a "so what" attitude. The girlfriends have been spoken too and they pretty much say there is nothing they are willing to do about it.

It would be a DAMN shame if something happened to those nice loud harleys'....seems they would even

hear anything or anyone following them to the outside party......and they come back and "oops"....

or as i did with a neighbor with a loud dog...a note--you quiet that dog--or i WILL.....up to you....

I followed an a**hole on one home ,to what seemed to be a shady place with a big dude guarding outside, as he was in the 7-11, being an <deleted> to the clerks i was tempted to push that f**king thing over..

he was a farang biker and it was up deep in santitham.....hes still on my list--over a year later--jerk

of course im just thinking out loud....whistling.gif

Thais don't complain because they consider it to be confrontation, and they avoid confrontation if they can.

Unless there is a foreigner involved. Then they grab the nearest pipe, stick, bottle, or machete and attack. If you're lucky, random Thais not even involved in the incident, will stop their cars and bikes to get in a few swings and kicks.

I can confirm this--as i have been on the receiving end of this with some thai gal that scammed me..

Two tuk tuk drivers with batons appeared..and every thai in earshot appeared....i put on my best

crazy face and after a fre connects took shelter in a 7-11 as they have cameras in there......ouch!

Thai's tolerate it, in fact i think they feel somewhat safe around noise.

Get used to it, no laws gonna help you here.

Earplugs or move.

Oh Believe You Me--Ive got the earlpugs!!

Added in the white noise app on my phone too

This is a touchy subject for me--the NOISE thing

and to me the basic issue of respect of others..

Anyhoo the point you make about thais enjoy

being around noise--or seek it out...???????

WHY?!!!!!!!!! There are so many questions i just cant process

that they do...i wish there was a website "Ask A Thai"

where i could get a straight answer.just thinking aloud....

• 4 years later...
On 11/3/2014 at 2:15 AM, JulieM said:

Anything before midnight is allowed by law as far as I know. If it keeps happening around 2 or 3 AM the police will help you..

True and anytime after 5:30 am is okay too! Thai's only require 5 hours sleep per day. Ask them if they can turn it down a bit and you are in for a violent confrontation. Best thing you can do is move. Welcome to Thailand. ????

On 11/3/2014 at 11:36 AM, northernjohn said:

Moving to a quiet Soi is no guarantee that some one won't move in and start the party up. Your best bet is to try to find a house that sits away from a village.

I have lived in a number of places with noise. I just accept it and accept the fact I can do nothing about it and the problem goes away. the noise is still there but it is no longer an issue to me.

Had a wife who accepted nothing fought every thing. Even complained about the noise I made when I changed the page in a book I was reading. Result she was very unhappy very hard time sleeping.

Yes, just grin and bear it. Sleep is not a right it's a privilege. Be thankful.

Just wonder is there any noise control law in Thailand? My neighbour which is a few houses next to us is still having a karaoke party very loud until mid night! It is not the first time! Why no body complain! Such a nuisance!

You don’t give much information of where or what ?
Is it a residential area or are there other night spots in the area ? Is it private parties or a commercial karaoke place?
Are their other neighbors who feel disturbed.
Thais often feel disturbed but don’t want to complain until several people get together and take action.
There are several things you can do but keep it discreet at first and gather the support of other residents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Many years ago I met some Hong Kong people in England. I met them in Alysbury a small town in the countryside.

These Hong Kong people were telling me how quiet England was. They didn't quite like the quietness because It seem boring to them.

They are used to people waking up early in the morning and started making lot of noise.

Noise don't really bother Asians ( except Japanese) .