British Tourist reunited with money and passport at Pattaya Police Station

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He couldn't remember the licence plate of the taxi or the name of the driver? bloody hell, I've never even known either of these. Good on the taxi driver for being so honest, hope he got a decent tip off the Brit.

If you take a taxi at the airport, you have all the info you need on the paper you get there when you book the taxi. coffee1.gif

Unless you misplace it or perhaps put it in the bag that was left on the taxi seat.

This amount of cash would have made a difference to this drivers life, his actions should not be minimized.

He is to be commended...

what difference? that he can buy a new iphone 1 month earlier

50000 baht let make you if you lucky a 5 days holiday in pattaya or 14 days but without meeting any thai girl or any trip to islands

Fortunately I have been able to read this excellent post before the TV humbug brigade get started, even a story like this will not escape the sarcastic and negative treatment from the self obsessed and bitter minority.

An excellent example of an honest and self respecting Thai doing the right thing, I am sure the British tourist will have suitably rewarded him for his honesty. This amount of cash would have made a difference to this drivers life, his actions should not be minimized.

He is to be commended...

Impossible for you to be 'sure' the driver was tipped well.

Fortunately I have been able to read this excellent post before the TV humbug brigade get started, even a story like this will not escape the sarcastic and negative treatment from the self obsessed and bitter minority.

An excellent example of an honest and self respecting Thai doing the right thing, I am sure the British tourist will have suitably rewarded him for his honesty. This amount of cash would have made a difference to this drivers life, his actions should not be minimized.

He is to be commended...

I agree. There are some that find fault, ranging from the man's apparel to his alleged intoxication, to his age and memory abilities. Amazing, as I suspect they don't know him personally and most likely were not where this took place.

Those poor souls that find negativism as nourishment are indeed starving for things positive. I envision these wretched beings as sitting next to their computers, unshaven, unkempt and intoxicated.

Then again, I don't know them, so it's only speculation. Much like their musings.

• Like 2

So nice to hear stories of honest people - for a change!

The driver knows the trip is fully registered and that the passenger has the slip given at the booth.

So he would have been concerned more with losing his super-lucrative airport pitch, rather than being honest.

As I was saying...

Why was his money and passport not on his person ? Money belt. His first time yea i wonder how much more he will lose before the week is over. Have to agree he is damn lucky and likely had booze on the brain not uncommon with so many foreigners here. Priority number (1) booze (2) bar girl. Left his common sense at the airport. I bet this won,t be the end of his misadventures.

• Like 1

He is to be commended...

Agree but it hardly news is it.

It is called normal in most countries.

The driver knows the trip is fully registered and that the passenger has the slip given at the booth.

So he would have been concerned more with losing his super-lucrative airport pitch, rather than being honest.

You get 10 points for that one.

Good luck in the "Thaibasher of the Year 2014" competition

You are sure to go close wai2.gif

I wonder what he paid for the taxi ride from the airport.50 quid maybe.now a tip the driver got a nice fee.he was honest and gave back the bag.also the previous comment is right you get receipt with all the info from the airport so why worry.just pay the tourist price to pattaya like so many

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There just can't wait to get out of the cab and into a bar.

Some find fault in even the most positive of news articles. I don't know the man and am glad his property was returned intact.

Strange you pick my post to point out from all the others. Maybe has something to do with political colors? I am sure the guy was going to Pattaya for the culture. Some people are so gullible they will believe anything.

He gets out of a taxi and forgets the bag with his money and his passport in it? Must have had a few too many drinkie poos on the plane me thinks.

More like making sure he didn't miss his hot date with #22 from Starlight gogo (and her sister). Nice to see that he's dressed for the occasion.

AoT's limo's are my first (and only) choice for trips from the airport back home. Insured, well maintained, mostly safe and obviously very honest. Well done that man!

He gets out of a taxi and forgets the bag with his money and his passport in it? Must have had a few too many drinkie poos on the plane me thinks.

Could be so but it could also be an accidental event. Remember , you are a tourist in a new location, people are not usually very calm in such circumstances. Your behaviour is not the same as that of when you are riding the same bus every day.

I am saying this that because I, on more than 2 occasions, have left items in a taxi in Bangkok, one time was a cell phone and the other my sun glasses, I do not drink and I attribute this to beiing off my usual routine. Absent mindedness of course can be a dangerous weakness.

If you are riding with someone else, the probability of leaving something behind diminishes, I think.

Cynical?

Last week it was Russians (?) in a baht bus, wandering around Pattaya with thousands of whatever in a bag which they leave on the seat of the baht bus. Today, it's a Brit, here for the first time.

They certainly make 'good news' stories for the authorities.

All I want to know is how people can be so dumb carrying around so much cash and conveniently leaving it, in a small bag on seats, whilst at the same time remembering to collect the suitcase etc.

Also, how the 'victims' manage to turn up at the cop shop at the same time as the finders.

Lastly, I don't travel much via swampy, but I do remember that at Don Muang years ago, there used to be a sign saying you would be refused entry into the kingdom if you were not properly attired. Does that still apply?

The reason I ask this is that the guy in the OP appears not to comply with that. Unless of course, he checked into his room, had a shower and change before deciding to go to the cop shop. (but he would have needed his passport at the hotel reception)

Sorry to appear slightly cynical but if next week an unfortunate Aussie or American has his 'day' in the police station, then I will begin to wonder.

In the meantime, if these two reports are absolutely accurate, then I salute the Thai baht bus and taxi driver.

I guess it's a sign of the times here that leads me not to believe everything in the papers being what they are.

"He puts his luck down to the fact that on 5th November he will be celebrating his 40th Birthday."

If he's that forgetful at 39 what is he going to be like when he's 60?

Probably still the same, as a former poster says, traveling in the taxi, and thinking only about getting in to a bar.

• Like 1

Actually, if questioned he could quite easily have said he didn't see the bag, and a later customer he picked up must have taken it.

Good honest work and, hopefully, a sizable reward.

• Like 1