TOT wireless box

iainiain101

I have changed to the TOT 1200 baht fibre optic offering.

It came with this box for accessing it in the house wirelessly. My problem is that the signal is not strong enough upstairs.

Can I simply go and buy a more powerful home network 'hub' like a Belkin?

Could I install this myself?

I hope the question make sense, I am not the most technical person and often defer to my 5 year old on computer issues!

Regards

Iain

post-23669-0-43983600-1414982608_thumb.j

As joncl says, yes.

Buy a "WiFi Access Point" (not a WiFi/Router) that has external antenna, and if you can put this upstairs (near to, or mid point between upstairs users) then connect it to your ZTE box downstairs using an Ethernet Cable.

If you find running an Ethernet Cable a bother, you can buy/try

PowerLine WiFi extender kit -- two plug-in electrical modules (one is a WiFi Access Point) **

WiFi extender -- a box that connects to a WiFi signal and retransmits **

** sometimes these things don't work or are wonky either due to environmental conditions or equipment incompatibility.

We can give better recommendations when you decide on the type of equipment/installation.

When exchanging the router just make sure that you know the settings/parameters, user name/password for the network as read from the current router.

Don't change the settings on the current router, so you can always switch back and check.

But: check whether the router administration (web interface) is accessible by a username/password like "admin/tot" or the like.

ToT does not care a bit about protecting the router!

Change to a safe username/password and note it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

When exchanging the router [...]

This pictured router is a Fiber Optic ONT, so can't be exchanged.

The Topic Title originally had me confused, "TOT Wireless Box", when the OP was really discussing a FTTh connection and weak WiFi.

The OP can either add an additional WiFi Access Point, placed near the original ZTE ONT Router, or use some option to put the WiFi Access Point in another location that will provide adequate signal to the floor above.

When exchanging the router [...]

This pictured router is a Fiber Optic ONT, so can't be exchanged.

Different from my installation, where the optical terminal and WiFi router are separated.

I did not notice that on the picture.

That was a picture of a router? I thought is was either bigfoot, or the Great Bell of Dhammazedi.

My TOT FTTh installation is probably the same as yours, KhunBENQ, as ZTE fiber optic modem didn't come with built-in WiFi so TOT technician just grabbed the existing DSL/Router/WiFi and used it to provide WiFi.

I really dislike WiFi equipment that don't have external antenna. The one pictured is installed on a wall 90° off horizontal plane, so one wonders where most of the signal from the built-in antenna normally sent on a horizontal plane is going.

Your pic is blurry and we can't see the ports availble from this angle or if that black thing coming out the back (top) is you wifi antenna?... Question... Where does that white Ethernet cord go to - Is there another (wifi) router box pluged into the ZTE modem?... If no wifi connected It most likely is a ZTE F660 all in one fiber optic modem wifi router... Either way the ZTE (F620 or F660wifi) is your fiber optic modem and you can not replace it... I would suggest you get the best stand alone wifi router and just daisy chain it off this router via one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the ZTE... You can get longer Ethernet cable and locate the new router to a more central location (or upstairs) as cabling allows if you wish...

Edited by sfokevin

• 2 weeks later...

Update. sorry if terminology is wrong.

I connected my old D-Link router by LAN cable to the ZTE box, using the PORT LAN 1 on both boxes.

The wireless coverage is now great for the whole house. If I access the wireless network via the D-Link I need to put in a password for that. It is the same as my password for the ZTE box. Am I getting the best speed, or have I a situation where passwords are checked twice?

Thanks

Iain

• Like 1

Good report.

Your device should memorize the WiFi Password for each network. Sounds like it's working fine.

You can verify by connecting to each WiFi independently and doing a speedtest hosted on your local ISP (this checks your speeds through your local equipment back to the TOT Network Operations Center). A Basic, or Advanced, on both wireless connections should average the same.

TOT ThaiTestSpeed.net Basic | Advanced | Gateway | Download | USA

I am currently in the process of having TOT Fiber to home service installed. The TOT sold me a ZTE ONU fiber modem. This modem has 4 LAN ports 2 POTS ports and 1 PON port. Model number ZXN F620 GPON ONT. This device does not have wireless built in. They wanted to sell me a TP Link wireless router to allow wireless in the home network. I declined as I already have a new Asus device that can handle this.

The OP can provide and install any wireless router he wants.

Good report.

Your device should memorize the WiFi Password for each network. Sounds like it's working fine.

You can verify by connecting to each WiFi independently and doing a speedtest hosted on your local ISP (this checks your speeds through your local equipment back to the TOT Network Operations Center). A Basic, or Advanced, on both wireless connections should average the same.

TOT ThaiTestSpeed.net Basic | Advanced | Gateway | Download | USA

OK tried this and I get almost exactly the same result, so all seems good.

I am currently in the process of having TOT Fiber to home service installed. The TOT sold me a ZTE ONU fiber modem. This modem has 4 LAN ports 2 POTS ports and 1 PON port. Model number ZXN F620 GPON ONT. This device does not have wireless built in. They wanted to sell me a TP Link wireless router to allow wireless in the home network. I declined as I already have a new Asus device that can handle this.

Just checked mine, and it is the ZXHN F660 GPON ONT - this one does have wireless, but as stated the range is not so good.

Just checked mine, and it is the ZXHN F660 GPON ONT - this one does have wireless, but as stated the range is not so good.

Aha! Now I know why the manager when pressed about why they offer a TP link wireless router and not a ZTE wireless modem she explained that they did use the ZTE and experienced wireless range issues