Thai Transport Ministry asks NCPO ban sky lanterns for safety

webfact

Transport Ministry asks NCPO ban sky lanterns for safety
By Digital Content

14149730136138-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 3 -- The Transport Ministry will ask the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to ban the release of sky lanterns that may jeopardize aviation and to increase the fine for violators to Bt100,000.

Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said the ban would be imposed in particular areas and hours to prevent aviation problems especially in the North where many flights were rescheduled to avoid such airborne flight hazards.

He is concerned about the release of lanterns during the Loy Krathong and New Year festivals. The minister will propose the ban to the prime minister and the NCPO.

Voradej Harnprasert, deputy permanent secretary for transport, said the ban would set clear punishments including a harsh fine of as much as Bt100,000.

The Civil Aviation Department reported that sky lanterns were now causing more problems than in the past.

Last November people sought permission for release of 12,086 sky lanterns and pilots of 1,441 flights informed the department of sky lantern releases that had not been reported in advance.

The Transport Ministry is informing the public of the dangers of airborne lanterns and warning airlines to suspend landings and takeoffs at Chiang Mai airport from 6pm from Nov 5 to 7. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-03

Last November people sought permission for release of 12,086 sky lanterns and pilots of 1,441 flights informed the department of sky lantern releases that had not been reported in advance.

Oh shut up.

Now we know you are full of ****.

These lanterns are big in the UK also, and the UK being a control freak culture, there is no call to ban them there and the UK has probably 10 times more flights than Thailand per day.

I have never in my life heard of a flight being brought down by a Chinese lantern. They only go a few hundred feet in the air before burning out. Planes exceed that height within seconds of take off.

Just ban them within 20KM of any airport.

This place gets more stupid by the day.

• Like 2

Only when a Jumbo Jet filled with Politicians and high ranking Police Officers family's sucks in a couple of lanterns and crashes in the middle of a 'High So ' area of Bangkok will somebody take things seriously. Until then the rest of us are fodder to crash and burn.

Having repeatedly observed several hundred airborne lanterns launched into the flightpath @ either end of my local (30+ flights per day) runway it would probably be safer to have no take offs or landings plus min height restrictions between say 1600hrs & 0200hrs one night per year.

is that minimum height restrictions applicable to take off and landings only?

Oh shut up.

Now we know you are full of ****.

These lanterns are big in the UK also, and the UK being a control freak culture, there is no call to ban them there and the UK has probably 10 times more flights than Thailand per day.

I have never in my life heard of a flight being brought down by a Chinese lantern. They only go a few hundred feet in the air before burning out. Planes exceed that height within seconds of take off.

Just ban them within 20KM of any airport.

This place gets more stupid by the day.

Not true. There were a lot of calls to ban them in the UK

They fell into an industrial estate. As yet not banned.

Just reminds me of the officials banning Guy Fawkes night in OZ, it used to give me great delight of burning effigies of the Prime Minister at the age of five , all this hocus pocus is just another attempt to controlling and taking the fun out of living , next they will be banning alcohol. Hic

ban the release of sky lanterns that may jeopardize aviation and to increase the fine for violators to Bt100,000.

Wow a whopping 100.000 Bt fine !!!

How much for murder ?

One hundred baht is not written as 100.000 baht. Neither is 100,000 baht. Can you be a bit more clear with your numbers.

It's just yet another festival copied from the Chinese, so they may as well ban the festival of the 9 Emperor Gods while they are at it.

Chinese are the resident experts in blowing hot air, and been so for 1000s of years.

Amateur copycats who know only little enough to be dangerous, shouldn't be playing with matches...

Yeah! ban them