Visa for unmarried father.

HI All,

Apologies if this has been answered a million times already .

I've been coming to Thailand for 5/6 months for the past few on a Multiple entry Tourist Visa. While this means a painful trip to the border it has sufficed for me to stay with my family .

I am planning to come again very soon and with the recent changes\clamp down I am curious to know if a Multientry Tourist will be ok?

I have with me my child's Birth Certificate which has my name & passport number on it.

Would it be best to apply for a O-Visa?

How long can I stay with an O-Visa, or it is it possible to get Multiple entry O?

from visiting the Thai UK embassy site I understand I will need Birth cert, Proof of income (is 3 bank statements suffice?), a form, some photos and my passport.

Many thanks for any help
T

You can only get a single entry non-o unless you are the legal father of your child by marriage or legitimization.

You can get almost 5 months of stay from a single entry non-o by getting a 60 day extension to visit your child.

See How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

There is no multiple entry tourist visa. They are issued by the number of entries allowed which can be 1, 2 or 3.

You could get a 3 entry tourist visa and use it without a problem. There are no restrictions on using tourist visas.

• Like 1

You can only get a single entry non-o unless you are the legal father of your child by marriage or legitimization.

You can get almost 5 months of stay from a single entry non-o by getting a 60 day extension to visit your child.

There is no multiple entry tourist visa. They are issued by the number of entries allowed which can be 1, 2 or 3.

You could get a 3 entry tourist visa and use it without a problem. There are no restrictions on using tourist visas.

Hi Thanks.

yes - I've always used a 3 (3 is not multiple?) entry tourist visa..

I thought I heard these would no longer be acceptable?

Hi Thanks.

"(3 is not multiple?) "

In English it is, but with visas a multiple entry visa would have an "M" printed on it, and a 2 or 3-entry tourist visa would have the number in that space.

Hi Thanks.

"(3 is not multiple?) "

In English it is, but with visas a multiple entry visa would have an "M" printed on it, and a 2 or 3-entry tourist visa would have the number in that space.

In English, it is? Three is three; triple, not multiple.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

You were able to get a multiple 'O' from a consulate/embassy, based on having a child, but not for a while now. What you will need to do is to obtain a single entry then, incredulously, apply to change it at immigration.

You can still get a multiple entry non-o visa for being the parent of a Thai but you have to be legal father of your child.

The change you mention would be applying for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a That but this also cannot be done unless your are the legal father.

• Like 1

For visas multiple means unlimited entries.

I don't know where you heard that tourist visas allowing more than one entry were not acceptable. Perhaps some rumor mill.

Only visa exempt entries have been restricted.

Thanks for clarification..

You were able to get a multiple 'O' from a consulate/embassy, based on having a child, but not for a while now. What you will need to do is to obtain a single entry then, incredulously, apply to change it at immigration.

You can still obtain a non-imm 'O' in Savannkhet, Laos being the legalized father, or mother without need for legalization.

Hi Thanks.

"(3 is not multiple?) "

In English, it is? Three is three; triple, not multiple.

Well as much as I hate to be pedantic :

multiple
/ˈmʌltɪpəl/
adjective

having or involving more than one part, individual, etc: he had multipleinjuries

Good, now what the dictionary is not saying is what ubonjoe told you above already:

In visa parlance, multiple means "unlimited". Interesting notion in a visa forum, isn't ?

In math, in any language, any number is a multiple including 1! 1 is a multiple of 1, 1x1=1, 2 is a multiple of 1, 1x2=2, 3 is a multiple of 1, 1x3=3, 4 is a multiple of 1 and 2, 1x4=4 and 2x2=4, etc.

The use of the word depends on the context of where it is being used and who is using it. I have two Non-O visas in my old passport issued in Penang that are printed with the number 2 in the "No. of entries"as they were only valid for two entries, not multiple entries!

Good, now what the dictionary is not saying is what ubonjoe told you above already:

In visa parlance, multiple means "unlimited". Interesting notion in a visa forum, isn't ?

Yeah I get that for Thai Visa purpose 3 <> multiple. - BUT the post I was responding to : "Three is three; triple, not multiple"

Thanks for your input .

Yeah I get that for Thai Visa purpose 3 <> multiple. - BUT the post I was responding to : "Three is three; triple, not multiple"

Thanks for your input .

No problem, you can also find plenty of English forums to continue your teachings.

Thanks for your input .

No problem, you can also find plenty of English forums to continue your teachings.

lol - funny guy

The info so far has not been fully accurate. You CAN obtain a multiple entry non-o for visiting Thai family (your child) from your home country thai consulate or Penang Thai consulate. Here is a recent trip report, including all the required paperwork: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/754146-Multiple-Non-O-visa-run-Penang-for-visiting-family-success

OP needs to state his passport country. Consulates/embassies do vary in their interpretation of the rules as you probably figured out by now. The worst case scenario is a single-entry at most consulates. But neighboring Thailand, Penang Malaysia is still a good choice. Just dont eat yourself to death while you are there.

If you were married, you'd have a couple of more regional options, most notibly Savannakhet, Laos.

Edited by 4evermaat

The info so far has not been fully accurate. You CAN obtain a multiple entry non-o for visiting Thai family (your child) from your home country thai consulate or Penang Thai consulate. Here is a recent trip report, including all the required paperwork: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/754146-Multiple-Non-O-visa-run-Penang-for-visiting-family-success

OP needs to state his passport country. Consulates/embassies do vary in their interpretation of the rules as you probably figured out by now. The worst case scenario is a single-entry at most consulates. But neighboring Thailand, Penang Malaysia is still a good choice. Just dont eat yourself to death while you are there.

If you were married, you'd have a couple of more regional options, most notibly Savannakhet, Laos.

Hi 4Evermaat,

Thanks for your response.

I am in the UK & will be using a British passport. In fact I have dual nationality, but other passport is not available..

Easiest option for me is to visit the Thai Embassy in London. I've been there multiple times to get 3 entry Tourist Visas.

I have my child's Birth certificate, I can get banks statements showing income in excess of ( £1400 PCM) requirement, My passport has > 2 years (free pages are fast running out but there at least 8), but I'm not married and I cannot easily get my partner's ID card or tambien baan.

I have read so many conflicting stories and the Thai embassy (UK) web site is not exactly clear on which type of Visa I can get..

I read somewhere, probably on TV, that back to back tourist visas would result in a denial of entry. What I had read was that visiting Thailand on a tourist visa or Visa exemption, when not actually a tourist, was being clamped down on. As I have family and my intention is to stay with my family and take care of my child I do not consider myself a tourist, therefore I should be applying for an O -Visa, so as to comply with our host's requirements.

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, Retirement (with State Pension)

Now I understand that its back to back Visa exemption stamps that may result in denied entry. I've not had one of those for 4 years.

I have learned a bit about human interaction on this thread, which is good.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

I am in the UK & will be using a British passport. In fact I have dual nationality, but other passport is not available..

Easiest option for me is to visit the Thai Embassy in London. I've been there multiple times to get 3 entry Tourist Visas.

I have my child's Birth certificate, I can get banks statements showing income in excess of ( £1400 PCM) requirement, My passport has > 2 years (free pages are fast running out but there at least 8), but I'm not married and I cannot easily get my partner's ID card or tambien baan. [/size]

I have read so many conflicting stories and the Thai embassy (UK) web site is not exactly clear on which type of Visa I can get..

I read somewhere, probably on TV, that back to back tourist visas would result in a denial of entry. What I had read was that visiting Thailand on a tourist visa or Visa exemption, when not actually a tourist, was being clamped down on. As I have family and my intention is to stay with my family and take care of my child I do not consider myself a tourist, therefore I should be applying for an O -Visa, so as to comply with our host's requirements.

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, Retirement (with State Pension)

Now I understand that its back to back Visa exemption stamps that may result in denied entry. I've not had one of those for 4 years.

I have learned a bit about human interaction on this thread, which is good.

Thanks for your help.

You will only be able to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai in the UK unless you are the legal father of your child.

There are no restrictions on getting and using tourist visas.

The restrictions are on visa exempt entries.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your child at immigration with just your name on your child's birth certificate.

If you were to legitimize your parenthood you could get multiple entry non-o visa and a one year extension of stay.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So as it turns out..

In the UK I cannot get any O-Visa as an unmarried father.

London Embassy told me me I either have to be married or get an O-A visa.

I got a 2 entry Tourist visa.

When in LOS I'll investigate what I can do out there.

Thanks for all the comments.

If your visa has 6 months validity (enter before date on visa) you can get about 240 days of total stay by getting a 60 day extension at immigration to visit you child for each entry in stead of the normal 30 day extension.

If 3 months validity you can do the 60 day extension for the 2nd entry.

• Like 1