Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

I'd suggest the reaction comes when the crimes become more and more noticeable. If you care to read my previous post, it explains (at least) one point.

As to when - reading OSAP-records for past 10 years you'll see a trend. Still noting that BKK is one of the safest SEA-area capitals, but crime on increase.

OSAP.why do people post so many acronyms presuming everyone knows <deleted> they mean ???

• Like 1

Before someone has a go at them, plaudits to the Chanasongkram Police for nailing the cowardly little bastards.clap2.gif

Have they got them?

Have you ever noticed that little blue link below the (partial) story where it says; Read More?

facepalm.gif

Edited by iReason

Thailand is wrongly sold as paradise where it's totally safe to do anything you want, but that is not true.

It is? Who by?

I agree SoiBiker, where is this promotional piece that's it's okay to do whatever you like in Thailand?

I would really like to be able to buy a beer from 711 at 4.55pm after work but I can't. 555

Tourists are so naive when they come here. How can someone mesmerize you with a smile one minute and take you for everything you have the next? It's so sad to see it in the news everyday.

Tourists... never go out in a group of friends less than three.

And never go to the beach in bikini ?

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

I know what you mean, but just because one feels safer does not necessarily mean one IS actually safer. I think this perception has caused more than a few people to come unstuck, whether the city is Bangkok, Buenos Aires or Barcelona.

I hope the victim is recuperating as best as she possibly can. It must have been traumatic to say the least.

The other Bs are far more dangerous. The difference, however, is that they do not claim to be the "Land of Smiles" with all the trust and warmth that this implies.

You think Israel is safe ? The land of milk and honey ?

"Police say they arrested Surasak and Chuen Wamakhan, an accomplice who was allegedly serving as a lookout, shortly after the tourist filed a complaint."

This reinforces my opinion that, the flatfoots generally know what's going on and can apprehend the maggots if compelled... wai2.gifwai.gif

A police colonel once told me the same thing: Don't think for one minute we don't know exactly what is going on everywhere and by whom. Whether or not we choose to do anything about it is our affair. We are not as stupid as people think...

The other Bs are far more dangerous. The difference, however, is that they do not claim to be the "Land of Smiles" with all the trust and warmth that this implies.

Does anyone really interpret a tourist slogan like 'Land of Smiles' as a claim that the country is entirely crime free?

Oh dear...what has become of Thailand? The Land of smiles has become the Land of crimes..

What do you expect! When taxi driver have to be legal and vendors have to end their business cuz they were there illegally or on sidewalk or other reasons. These people are doing the next easiest gig without real work.

I dont see any in the story about attempted rape though. Maybe the writer got carried away with the headlines

"I dont see any in the story about attempted rape though."

According to police, Surasak also attempted to sexually assault the tourist, but she fought back and successfully escaped to the main road where she sought help from police.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1415104653

Are we somewhat clearer now ?.

It always helps to read the whole article before pounding the keys.

• Like 2

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

I'd suggest the reaction comes when the crimes become more and more noticeable. If you care to read my previous post, it explains (at least) one point.

As to when - reading OSAP-records for past 10 years you'll see a trend. Still noting that BKK is one of the safest SEA-area capitals, but crime on increase.

OSAP.why do people post so many acronyms presuming everyone knows <deleted> they mean ???

Pardon the typo - OSAC stands for Overseas Security Advisory Council, and is a US government funded advisory board, assessing the situation with local authorities reports' generating an annual report.

Latest report found here, where it states, among other things, RE avoiding becoming a victim: "Although street crime is the most prevalent, violent crimes involving (Americans and other) foreigners do occur. Personal security measures and common sense should be exercised at all times. At night, travel with someone and avoid walking on poorly lit streets and alleys. The most common crimes are purse snatching, pick-pocketing, and petty theft. Credit card fraud and identity theft schemes are active in Thailand. Travelers should be careful to safeguard their valuables at all times. Do not leave drinks unattended, and do not accept beverages offered by strangers or at loosely organized parties. Travelers to Thailand should carefully review the Safety and Security sections of the State Department's Country Specific Information sheet for Thailand available at www.travel.state.gov for additional information."

Thailand is wrongly sold as paradise where it's totally safe to do anything you want, but that is not true.

It is? Who by?

I agree SoiBiker, where is this promotional piece that's it's okay to do whatever you like in Thailand?

I would really like to be able to buy a beer from 711 at 4.55pm after work but I can't. 555

Jesus, you guys are thick. Sold as in it's a SAFE country.

It is? Who by?

How about waiting 5 minutes or is that out of the question? 555

• Like 2

It is? Who by?

Thailand is a place where some people think they can do anything they want, reasonably safely. Thailand is sold as a paradise, but so are many other countries.

I know what you mean, but just because one feels safer does not necessarily mean one IS actually safer. I think this perception has caused more than a few people to come unstuck, whether the city is Bangkok, Buenos Aires or Barcelona.

I hope the victim is recuperating as best as she possibly can. It must have been traumatic to say the least.

Actually, Spain have used a pretty similar slogan -

smile-you-are-in-spain.jpg

It is? Who by?

Thailand is a place where some people think they can do anything they want, reasonably safely. Thailand is sold as a paradise, but so are many other countries.

Who by?

OSAP.why do people post so many acronyms presuming everyone knows they mean ???

Pardon the typo - OSAC stands for Overseas Security Advisory Council, and is a US government funded advisory board, assessing the situation with local authorities reports' generating an annual report.

Latest report found here, where it states, among other things, RE avoiding becoming a victim: "Although street crime is the most prevalent, violent crimes involving (Americans and other) foreigners do occur. Personal security measures and common sense should be exercised at all times. At night, travel with someone and avoid walking on poorly lit streets and alleys. The most common crimes are purse snatching, pick-pocketing, and petty theft. Credit card fraud and identity theft schemes are active in Thailand. Travelers should be careful to safeguard their valuables at all times. Do not leave drinks unattended, and do not accept beverages offered by strangers or at loosely organized parties. Travelers to Thailand should carefully review the Safety and Security sections of the State Department's Country Specific Information sheet for Thailand available at www.travel.state.gov for additional information."

That's boilerplate travel advisory stuff. You talked about reading the records for the past 10 years and noticing a trend. Where did you get that? Can you supply a link?

It is? Who by?

Jesus, you guys are thick. Sold as in it's a SAFE country.

It is safe if you use common sense.

But I like the idea, I can see the tourism slogans now ''Come to paradise in Thailand, it's safe except for our muggers and rapists' 555555

Is that how you want TAT to try to sell Thailand.

But we're thick 555

Edited by peptidebomber

It is? Who by?

Who by?

TAT.

In a similar way to how Jamaica is marketed, another beautiful country which would probably fit many peoples idea of paradise. Far more dodgy & unsafe than Thailand though.

Who by?

TAT.

In a similar way to how Jamaica is marketed, another beautiful country which would probably fit many peoples idea of paradise. Far more dodgy & unsafe than Thailand though.

Really?

So can you provide a link to the TAT campaign that claims Thailand is a totally safe country where you can do anything you want?

It is? Who by?

You can always go in a bar & have one at that time

• Like 1

That's boilerplate travel advisory stuff. You talked about reading the records for the past 10 years and noticing a trend. Where did you get that? Can you supply a link?

The previously mentioned OSAC reports, combined with different annual crime statistics (booying around SEA-area, so been comparing stats and "relative" safety a lot recently- including crime rates per pax etc). You can do that much 'legwork' by yourself - since you apparently have the internet connection where data is virtually limitless.

One thing I'm satisfied with, is the homicide rates going systematically on downwards trend - would be nice to see petty crimes, assaults, rapes etc - or the ones that actually get prosecuted - to reflect the same decline. And of course after that you then have the crimes, the ones not either reported, hushed about, or neglected, which are not visible in any statistics.

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

It was safe to walk the streets, even alone at night, in Thailand, and that was one of the reasons for tourists to come here...

• Like 2