Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

Drunk and stupid like so many foreigners here men and women and then they wonder why they have problems

Ok... That does it...
A week or so ago I was robbed of my phone at Soi rambuttri near the small soi leading to pinklao bridge (near thr infien restaurant st the corner) by 3 cambodian khmers, only to get a bottle crushed over my eye and nose (was very lucky though and got away with nothing more than some nose bleed and a bruise).

Anyway, that's not the point. In this case they fidnt attack us from behind and we could as welljust accepted the fact that the phone was gone. But drunk and stupid i asked for it back and we even started follow them into the small soi when they left, pretending to call a military friend speaking thai. So yea.. I kind of asked for it... they only hit and run, underdtandable... So although i hate theft I dont really hate them, more hste my own stupidity at 3 am... But i guess one day in life has to be the first to get a turn to learn some lesson...

What does it is the news here. Im out... There is so much crap going on, and honestly I prefer to live my everyday life not knowing all bad stuff that happens. After 8 years here I have never had any incident except this one, and i feel partly guilty for it to occur in the firdt place.
So if being a little street smart, and follow thai-friends tips of taking a ride back home instead of walking in dark alleys (especially along samsen that is known for yaba sellers and yaba smoking ladyboys and prostitution hotels...).

The news makes me feel worse about the whole country than is the fact. It was just the same in Sweden.
When i lived in norway i didnt read the news. But norwegian friends told me how good and safe sweden seemed compared to all bad stuff they heard on daily basis..

Sometimes ignorance is truly bliss. No reason to be scared here, only cautious as everywhere else. And life will be way more enjoyable....

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed Jim. (although I don't really wonder why I got into trouble...)
I think after all this years and having my home near the last pdrc headquarter I have never felt unsafe here. Ever...
I am not a fighter, i haven't been in a single fight in my whole life. Nor have I had anyone want to fight me. That however has given me an unreasonable feeling of security no matter day or night. And as everywhere bad things can happen, to anyone. But I really don't feel they are more likely to do here than anywhere else.

I think those getting into most problems here are people who haven't understood the way of saving face. Screaming and shouting won't get anyone anywhere.
And people who expect some-kind of man-on-man bar fight should return back to wherever they came from, cause that's just not how it works (although i have stayed out of problems during my life I have seen many foreigners behaving really bad. Only to have the Thai guy turn around, but listening to the guy speaking with his friends in Thai I know that the foreigner is in for a bad surprise when walking home...

Some years ago a warned a guy from UK about this after acting like the king of the club. Only to have him pissed off at me instead, so since then I just stay out of it.
At age 30 I'm still going out from time to time. But it's getting less frequent. And hopefully I learned that I'm mortal as well this time.. about time really....

Drunk and stupid like so many foreigners here men and women and then they wonder why they have problems

Ok... That does it...
A week or so ago I was robbed of my phone at Soi rambuttri near the small soi leading to pinklao bridge (near thr infien restaurant st the corner) by 3 cambodian khmers, only to get a bottle crushed over my eye and nose (was very lucky though and got away with nothing more than some nose bleed and a bruise).

Anyway, that's not the point. In this case they fidnt attack us from behind and we could as welljust accepted the fact that the phone was gone. But drunk and stupid i asked for it back and we even started follow them into the small soi when they left, pretending to call a military friend speaking thai. So yea.. I kind of asked for it... they only hit and run, underdtandable... So although i hate theft I dont really hate them, more hste my own stupidity at 3 am... But i guess one day in life has to be the first to get a turn to learn some lesson...

What does it is the news here. Im out... There is so much crap going on, and honestly I prefer to live my everyday life not knowing all bad stuff that happens. After 8 years here I have never had any incident except this one, and i feel partly guilty for it to occur in the firdt place.
So if being a little street smart, and follow thai-friends tips of taking a ride back home instead of walking in dark alleys (especially along samsen that is known for yaba sellers and yaba smoking ladyboys and prostitution hotels...).

The news makes me feel worse about the whole country than is the fact. It was just the same in Sweden.
When i lived in norway i didnt read the news. But norwegian friends told me how good and safe sweden seemed compared to all bad stuff they heard on daily basis..

Sometimes ignorance is truly bliss. No reason to be scared here, only cautious as everywhere else. And life will be way more enjoyable....

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 1

I guess the police is gonna come out and say oops those guys were Burmese now that they were trying to rape her too. I saw the video clip of attack and it was horrible and that guy basically went to Kill the Girl by the Brick and not just stealing her items.

Although another thing is that what would a girl Alone do at 2;30 am in the Dark Area of kaosan road where there was Nobody there ??!! Anyways Thais are becoming very Aggressive lately for easy money regardless of their class

Typical victim blaming.

I myself have never had any problems here. And yes few if any foreigners understand anything about saving face. I tend to avoid bars and many foreigners should just be avoid. Years ago for free entertainment i would sit outside bars and watch as the foreigners causing trouble would get tossed out onto the streets. In a few cases Mr. Moron foreigner would make an attempt to reenter the bar only to be tossed out again and by the time the Thais were done was a bloody mess in the middle of the road. Having said that walking around half naked at the beach, a woman walking late at night anywhere, drunk, wearing gold chains, having sex on the beach is only asking for trouble. This does not excuse the behavior of the Thais but the lack of common sense i witness here daily with the foreigners is amazing. They give dumb a whole new meaning. Hopefully the girl learned two things stay the hell away from Khao San Road day or night and don,t be walking around at 2:30 am it is only asking for trouble.

Indeed Jim. (although I don't really wonder why I got into trouble...)

I think after all this years and having my home near the last pdrc headquarter I have never felt unsafe here. Ever...

I am not a fighter, i haven't been in a single fight in my whole life. Nor have I had anyone want to fight me. That however has given me an unreasonable feeling of security no matter day or night. And as everywhere bad things can happen, to anyone. But I really don't feel they are more likely to do here than anywhere else.

I think those getting into most problems here are people who haven't understood the way of saving face. Screaming and shouting won't get anyone anywhere.

And people who expect some-kind of man-on-man bar fight should return back to wherever they came from, cause that's just not how it works (although i have stayed out of problems during my life I have seen many foreigners behaving really bad. Only to have the Thai guy turn around, but listening to the guy speaking with his friends in Thai I know that the foreigner is in for a bad surprise when walking home...

Some years ago a warned a guy from UK about this after acting like the king of the club. Only to have him pissed off at me instead, so since then I just stay out of it.

At age 30 I'm still going out from time to time. But it's getting less frequent. And hopefully I learned that I'm mortal as well this time.. about time really....

Ok... That does it...

Safe really ? Perhaps but it is an over rated expensive crap hole. Superior places to stay in Bangkok. Let me guess are you one of the FMP nitwits?

Kao san rd is very safe !!! Crime happens everywhere. Word of warning to females here is carry a personal alarm - siren around with you. Can buy these off ebay very cheaply

• Like 1

Kao san rd is very safe !!! Crime happens everywhere. Word of warning to females here is carry a personal alarm - siren around with you. Can buy these off ebay very cheaply

But this happened in Samsen Road over the klong bridge at 2am. It is rather dark and quiet there after the blues bar has closed and there are a lot of small alleys. It was dumb of her to do out alone at that time and for the boyfriend to let her but she still didn't deserve that.

Dumb of her is correct. She needs to take some responsibility for her actions. Khao San Road is a dump and not any safer than other parts of Bangkok.

But this happened in Samsen Road over the klong bridge at 2am. It is rather dark and quiet there after the blues bar has closed and there are a lot of small alleys. It was dumb of her to do out alone at that time and for the boyfriend to let her but she still didn't deserve that.

Every time I have done something like this, occasionally at my own personal risk, I have been given reason to regret having bothered.

You can't help people in this world. Without knowing much or anything at all, they already Know Best. It's when they blame you after you tried to warn them or drag you into their mess to save their own hide that I realise, this species could really breed a lot less.

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

In thailand the rapes seem to be targeted at a specific group.

Namely--- white skinned tourists or white skinned expats. I am sure if say in England, there were almost daily reports of rapes, murders and robberies against people of asian denomination. there would be a worldwide outcry. Human rights the un and governments would address the problem. Many of these racist crimes are never convicted .

Much larger numbers of Thai girls and women are raped every day but do not report it.

White skinned women come from societies where it is more typical to report a rape or rape attempt and newspapers here in Thailand are more likely to cover the story because its a twist on an all-too-common crime.

I Think you missed my point.

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

In thailand the rapes seem to be targeted at a specific group.

Namely--- white skinned tourists or white skinned expats. I am sure if say in England, there were almost daily reports of rapes, murders and robberies against people of asian denomination. there would be a worldwide outcry. Human rights the un and governments would address the problem. Many of these racist crimes are never convicted .

Much larger numbers of Thai girls and women are raped every day but do not report it.

White skinned women come from societies where it is more typical to report a rape or rape attempt and newspapers here in Thailand are more likely to cover the story because its a twist on an all-too-common crime.

I Think you missed my point.

No, I understood it but your conclusion that rapists seem to be targetting a specific group, namely white skinned tourists and expats is not correct. Thai women are victims of rape in substantially larger numbers but their cases are typically not reported to police and are not headline grabbers in media reports.

Edited by ClutchClark

True. But if you look at the statistics, rape and murder is much more prevalent here (although gun crime is really quite bad in the USA, that's the exception rather than the rule for western countries). Fact.

Couldn't resist turning this story into an America bashing one could you?

Off topic, yes, but not US bashing; more like simple statement of fact. However, the US is not the worst--check-out the gun violence and gun homicide statements below:

“The dubious distinction of having the most gun violence goes to Honduras, at 68.43 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people, even though it only has 6.2 firearms per 100 people. Other parts of South America and South Africa also rank highly, while the United States is somewhere near the mid-range. Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/schoo-shooting-how-do-u-s-gun-homicides-compare-with-the-rest-of-the-world

“The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people. But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people”

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

1. So if you define LatAm as western countries, than USA is mid range.

2. USA does not have the highest gun ownership rate in the world. You are quoting the wrong statistics. That is the number of firearms per person. It's not the ownership rate. In the US only half (about 47%) of households own a firearm.

So yes, you are bashing America with misleading statistics on a topic not even relevent to this one which is about Robbery and Rape in Thailand.

Well, Time Traveler, it appears you have not traveled enough, or not spent enough time traveling. Did you notice the quotation marks? They mean I am stating another person's words.

Yes, I do classify Western hemisphere nations as Western nations and I defer to the common practice of referring to European nations as Western nations.

However, these comments notwithstanding, I still do not consider "although gun crime is really quite bad in the USA, that's the exception rather than the rule for western countries" America bashing.

How do you feel about changing the name of the Washington Redskins?

Before someone has a go at them, plaudits to the Chanasongkram Police for nailing the cowardly little bastards.clap2.gif

They? "Police say Surasak Wanprapao, 19, hit the Frenchwoman in the head with a brick stone on Samsen Road before dragging her into a nearby alley, where he proceeded to steal her iPhone and cash."

But yes - well done BIB for doing their job!

The foreigners here are their own worst enemy. Zero common sense. Yea i gave up years ago trying to help foreigners. Dumb as bricks.

Every time I have done something like this, occasionally at my own personal risk, I have been given reason to regret having bothered.

You can't help people in this world. Without knowing much or anything at all, they already Know Best. It's when they blame you after you tried to warn them or drag you into their mess to save their own hide that I realise, this species could really breed a lot less.

True. But if you look at the statistics, rape and murder is much more prevalent here (although gun crime is really quite bad in the USA, that's the exception rather than the rule for western countries). Fact.

Couldn't resist turning this story into an America bashing one could you?

Off topic, yes, but not US bashing; more like simple statement of fact. However, the US is not the worst--check-out the gun violence and gun homicide statements below:

“The dubious distinction of having the most gun violence goes to Honduras, at 68.43 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people, even though it only has 6.2 firearms per 100 people. Other parts of South America and South Africa also rank highly, while the United States is somewhere near the mid-range. Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/schoo-shooting-how-do-u-s-gun-homicides-compare-with-the-rest-of-the-world

“The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people. But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people”

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

Gun violence is more related to the number of non-whites in the population, than to the distribution of arms.

Gun deaths in Europe and Canada will rise as the number of non-whites in the populations rise.

Oh dear...what has become of Thailand? The Land of smiles has become the Land of crimes..

It was never the Land Of Smiles. That's the propaganda the tourism community wanted the world to buy into. You don't believe? Take a walk outside of the service sector and see how many smiles you get. That is the reality vs fairyland

Safe really ? Perhaps but it is an over rated expensive crap hole. Superior places to stay in Bangkok. Let me guess are you one of the FMP nitwits?

People like you really disgust me. You have categorized words like "backpacker, ksr, fmp" all together and have a hatred towards all. You think you are the best, and all other frangs are stupid. In truth, you are just a hateful, miserable, lonely, pathetic person, who doesn't have the ability to empathize with other people. Probably you had a really sad youth as well, since you're so eager to blame young people. I really pity you. But sadly there is a lot of people like you in Thailand, and especially on this forum.

Lonely no, miserable,no hatred towards all, no, think i am the best, no sad youth, no. all the farangs are stupid no, but many are, a lot of people like me in Thailand perhaps. We just don,t care for foreigners that disrespect the Thais and their culture. Many of the FMP party nitwits do, Khao San Road tends to attract much of the same bunch. The people who tend to get into trouble here need to take some responsibility for their actions. Walking around at 2:30 am is not showing much common sense. Would you do that in London, New York city, Hamburg likely not. Bangkok is no different. sorry i hurt your feelings . Get a grip that is reality here.

People like you really disgust me. You have categorized words like "backpacker, ksr, fmp" all together and have a hatred towards all. You think you are the best, and all other frangs are stupid. In truth, you are just a hateful, miserable, lonely, pathetic person, who doesn't have the ability to empathize with other people. Probably you had a really sad youth as well, since you're so eager to blame young people. I really pity you. But sadly there is a lot of people like you in Thailand, and especially on this forum.

Maybe your hanging around the wrong Thais. Likely in the tourist slums. Yea many don,t smile and i can,t say i blame them. Many foreigners treat the Thais and their culture like crap.

Oh dear...what has become of Thailand? The Land of smiles has become the Land of crimes..

It was never the Land Of Smiles. That's the propaganda the tourism community wanted the world to buy into. You don't believe? Take a walk outside of the service sector and see how many smiles you get. That is the reality vs fairyland

Lonely no, miserable,no hatred towards all, no, think i am the best, no sad youth, no. all the farangs are stupid no, but many are, a lot of people like me in Thailand perhaps. We just don,t care for foreigners that disrespect the Thais and their culture. Many of the FMP party nitwits do, Khao San Road tends to attract much of the same bunch. The people who tend to get into trouble here need to take some responsibility for their actions. Walking around at 2:30 am is not showing much common sense. Would you do that in London, New York city, Hamburg likely not. Bangkok is no different. sorry i hurt your feelings . Get a grip that is reality here.

I often walked round London at 2.30am when I lived there. I'm happy to do the same here.

• Like 1