Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

BAD ATTITUDE BINGO! You hit the nail on the head. Perhaps taking some responsibility for your actions. I think the Thais are just burned out from our obnoxious attitudes. Som Nam Na

Thailand needs to let people know it is a dangerous place and not drop your guard. This Land of Smiles is a lie !

It is not necessarily a lie, but quite often things are not exactly as they appear either. Meaning, sometimes a smile is not really a smile. The advisories to always remain aware of your surroundings are well founded anywhere, but are becoming of increasing importance here. The wheels are coming off the wagon for much of Thai society. As a consequence, there will be increasing mayhem. As targets, we are sitting ducks, reputed to have wealth, while often brandishing bad attitudes that engender an incredible amount of resentment and ill will in our respective communities. This is a land where unfortunately, there is a high likelihood that unsuspecting tourists will reap the rewards for what we sow. This is why it is imperative, no matter the situation, to keep our cool. Word to the wise has always been, seek out the offender's superior, state your case, and let the Thais handle whatever admonishments need to be delivered. This is the way of the educated Thai, and it would serve us well to follow their lead. If we do not more or less become ambassadors, and turn this sh*t around, LOS will soon become unlivable for all farang, regardless of how well intentioned.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

SoiBiker .. there is a campaign in Australia for a girl that was gang-raped, 10 years ago, to receive her full compensation, which has now been halved (by politicians/bureaucrats) while our illustrious prime minister's daughter received a much high amount towards her further study at a place that the prime minister contributed a significant of tax-payers funds to ... and the girl who informed the media has been to Court and looking at a jail term ...

What does that have to do with the question I was asking?

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree....I doubt that other countries have young Thai men bashing French tourists over the head with bricks, robbing them and trying to rape them! I think that's specific to Thailand....but I may be wrong....?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Yap..you are wrong. What you will do if walking alone in Rio de Janeiro in some places like the many desert beaches, and every 50 meters a young boy will ask you for a "donation"? Probably you will say no. How about if the kid said "Sr...I am asking now....will better if I show you my knife?"...Probably you will run to your hotel.....after "donating" all your goods..even your nice tennis shoes.

Rio de Janeiro tourism increases every year....

Sorry, but I have to say that some tourist people are stupid.

A woman walking alone 2 AM in Bangkok downtown?.....Surprised that she was attacked? She got lucky was not murdered.

I myself will not walk alone near Khaosan Roas again. I did only one time because the special bus from Chiang Mai arrived there 4 AM...I was lucky I was not assaulted when looking to reach my hotel.I was really afraid and nervous walking there...and I got into a 7/11 to wait for daylight.

What 's going on with farangs on this site? Are they aware that practically ANY big city in the world is dangerous at those hours???? ..and in particularly spots like Khaosan Road??? New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Rome, Paris, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Cali, Lima, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Manila, Jakarta, Bali, London, Istanbul, Jerusalem, and most the South American, Middle East, and African countries.....I can go on full page with city names .....Most good hotels in those cities advise tourist about safety rules...

If you think that tourism in Thailand will stop because some tragic violent acts....you are wrong. Will young people stop going to American schools because some weird guy ransom killed teachers and students? That happens EVERY year in the US....probably the only country where students needs to pass metal scanners before entering schools...Will mothers stop taking its children to markets and parks in the US because weird guys are looking for the opportunity to kidnap, rape, and kill, children and teenagers. That happens EVERY year in the US..probably the only country that an strange cannot talk or be even close to a child without rising suspicions, and mothers have to keep their children "on leach" everywhere they go.

Thailand it is a very safe country comparing with most in this world....No country is safe is you are in the wrong place, and in the wrong time..and specially, around the wrong people.

"other "countries have punishments for this, often here its almost nothing.

Tell us something that 99% of the population of the world dont know,Did you not know that this site is for comments and advice about thailand,For general tourists that either live or holiday there.The change in thailands attitude towards us ,becomes worse more and more every year,Thailand has been built on tourism,

YES US,,If not for us,thailand would still be in the middle ages,,We used to get respect ,..,We are not here to compare other countrys.

This is a nasty crime - but the solemn predictions of doom that it has invoked are hilarious. It's probably been twenty years or more now since the first miserable expat predicted that the wheels were coming off/the sky was falling/the tourist gravy train was drying up etc etc in response to some unpleasant but fairly run of the mill criminal act.

Shit like this happens - everywhere in the world. It's not some harbinger of the apocalypse, not matter how much some of you clearly want it to be.

• Like 1

And TAT expects quality tourists to enter this ongoing mayhem? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Quality tourists? They will be lucky to get backpakers to come here. When I first visited here in April 2000 I met 2 teachers ( women ) at BKK airport who were in their late 50's early 60's and asked them if it was safe over here. They responded it was inexpensive and safe and they had been coming over for years traveling by themselves. How the times have changed.

Thailand is wrongly sold as paradise where it's totally safe to do anything you want, but that is not true.

It is? Who by?

TAT -TIT

So show us this mythical TAT campaign where Thailand is claimed to be a totally safe paradise where you can do whatever you like with no consequences.

Agree the tourists and expats here are not very bright. Twenty years and NEVER had a problem. But than again i avoid places like Khao San Road. The (quality) tourists there are trouble and dumb as a brick.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree....I doubt that other countries have young Thai men bashing French tourists over the head with bricks, robbing them and trying to rape them! I think that's specific to Thailand....but I may be wrong....?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Yap..you are wrong. What you will do if walking alone in Rio de Janeiro in some places like the many desert beaches, and every 50 meters a young boy will ask you for a "donation"? Probably you will say no. How about if the kid said "Sr...I am asking now....will better if I show you my knife?"...Probably you will run to your hotel.....after "donating" all your goods..even your nice tennis shoes.

This is a very serious problem - because it feeds on itself.

As money velocity goes down, violent crime goes up. As violent crime goes up, money velocity further slows down resulting in more crime.

Blaming the victim, comparing the county to worse ones, calls for stiffer penalties and under reporting of crime all have rationales that make sense from a particular perspective and can be argued.

All stops should be pulled out to prevent this type of thing from happening. It should be an absolute first priority. Increased police foot patrols. Local business's should hire undercover security or they stand to lose their business's.

If the word gets out that Khaosan is a dangerous place - the knock on effect will ripple through the tourist industry and will eventually be felt at five star resorts.

I'm not making excuses for any sort of crime, but with the Army and the Police taking away the earning power of local people such as street traders, many will inevitably resort to crime in the fight to survive..... "Desperate men resort to desperate measures".

What makes an area popular ?? is it it's charm, the market type street, the casual air about it, fun evening to mingle with all nationals. ????

I think all these, what makes it crazy is that these street places never know when to close like Thai drinking-thugs-drugs. it needs good husbandry, policing, and much earlier closing.

Suggested Midnight STOP....................enough time from 7pm to 12 to stroll around. and enjoy.

Any police on the beat, walking around as in UK ???

Had Laos dancing from 9pm...until 6am last week at Kumpawapi, most were drunk, and started drifting/driving home 6am---what is the point ??

Drug use on the rise.

This is the product of that. Senseless crimes wicked in nature which only human numbed on drugs could do.

Completely unjustified assumption and typical of the knee jerk reactions which for some reason the Forum seems happy to publish.

HINT! Khao San Road always was a dangerous place. Guess you must listen to advise on the Lonely Planet website.

This is a very serious problem - because it feeds on itself.

As money velocity goes down, violent crime goes up. As violent crime goes up, money velocity further slows down resulting in more crime.

Blaming the victim, comparing the county to worse ones, calls for stiffer penalties and under reporting of crime all have rationales that make sense from a particular perspective and can be argued.

All stops should be pulled out to prevent this type of thing from happening. It should be an absolute first priority. Increased police foot patrols. Local business's should hire undercover security or they stand to lose their business's.

If the word gets out that Khaosan is a dangerous place - the knock on effect will ripple through the tourist industry and will eventually be felt at five star resorts.

And TAT expects quality tourists to enter this ongoing mayhem? whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Quality tourists? They will be lucky to get backpakers to come here. When I first visited here in April 2000 I met 2 teachers ( women ) at BKK airport who were in their late 50's early 60's and asked them if it was safe over here. They responded it was inexpensive and safe and they had been coming over for years traveling by themselves. How the times have changed.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Thailand was no more a gentle, crime free safe haven for female tourists in 2000 than it is now. Look at the Kirsty Jones case, for example.

...with very little right s or recourse.....and no harsh punishment....foreigners are easy targets.....

...smash someone on the head with a brick....easiily......'attempted murder'.....so what is a fitting punishment.....???

...what punishment will the perpetrator receive...if caught....???

...isn't it time to 'lay down the law'.....to 'set an example'......???

We dont talk like it has not happend before,,Most of us on here,are now pissed of with thailand,We came here 30 years ago,when they had nothing,As a tourist then,You were safe,and the smiles were true,I tell people now ,TO STAY AWAY,There is nothing good to talk about thailand any more,And now thailand is trying to show the world that they are trying to change ,They dont give a shit,About you me or anybody else,MONEY number 1,,And there loosing it by the billions,,Thats why these crimes are being reported more,They only report what suits them,

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

SoiBiker .. there is a campaign in Australia for a girl that was gang-raped, 10 years ago, to receive her full compensation, which has now been halved (by politicians/bureaucrats) while our illustrious prime minister's daughter received a much high amount towards her further study at a place that the prime minister contributed a significant of tax-payers funds to ... and the girl who informed the media has been to Court and looking at a jail term ...

What does that have to do with the question I was asking?

• Like 1

We dont talk like it has not happend before,,Most of us on here,are now pissed of with thailand,We came here 30 years ago,when they had nothing,As a tourist then,You were safe,and the smiles were true,I tell people now ,TO STAY AWAY,There is nothing good to talk about thailand any more,And now thailand is trying to show the world that they are trying to change ,They dont give a shit,About you me or anybody else,MONEY number 1,,And there loosing it by the billions,,Thats why these crimes are being reported more,They only report what suits them,

You say you don't talk like this didn't happen in the past - and then in the very same sentence claim that tourists were safe here 30 years ago?

Hilarious.

It is not the foreigners who pretend that they can do anything they want.

They are the Thai boys (generalizing) who never have learned how to control themselves and therefore can do anything which pleases them, included murder. They have become unguided missiles. The government (mr.Prajuth) needs to set up programs to deal with these missiles.

There are young Thai men in Rio de Janeiro mugging and raping French tourists???.........I still don't buy it.......laugh.png

I believe the good General had previously stated that women are generally safe in this country so long as they don't dress provocatively.

Whatever spin people want to put on who is to blame there is a simple truth. This is not going to help Thailand's case for tourism.

On a personal level I'd like to think that women can enjoy the world equally to men. Thailand needs to be realistic about the safety of the tourists they desire so greatly.

Every country and every culture is different, and people need to understand that. I f you are naked or making love on a Brazilian beach, like most locals do, you are safe. If you are showing nice jewelry, bags, and cameras, and showing "tourist" behavior" you are not.....You can understand that young tourist take risk and behave "bad" sometimes, but not makes sense when "mature" tourist do that. What happens with some tourist in Pattaya or Phuket..stays there, and in some magazines and Internet sites. Thailand is a lot better than that and quality tourism do not care what is happening in those places...just taking a fast look sometimes.. and that's all....Quality tourism is what any country wants, and good information and organization will help. Not easy...but doable in beautiful Thailand. No wonder is one of the more visited countries in the world.

The naysayers will naysay. The liberal left deniers will deny. The morally bankrupt will obfuscate and dance around feel good platitudes. Truth is...As in the days of Sodom. As in the days of Noah. Truly we are witnessing the very last days before we all reap the whirlwind of our own making. Worldwide; we're all on this together. Thailand is just a microcosm of a grander and greater disease that hangs about the shoulders of this old blue ball. Make ready men of conscience for we wade soon into the final fray. The end is upon us and the battle has been enjoined.

Have a great day!!!

I hope a large percentage of tourist who annually come to Thailand, go elswhere for their yearly vacation.

Myanmar has just opened up, beautiful temples in the north.

Cambodia, Lao, Vietnam are other options.

Let the Thais get hit in the pocketbook for a couple years.......Get the Euro to 110.00 and USD to 45.....

• Like 1

The naysayers will naysay. The liberal left deniers will deny. The morally bankrupt will obfuscate and dance around feel good platitudes. Truth is...As in the days of Sodom. As in the days of Noah. Truly we are witnessing the very last days before we all reap the whirlwind of our own making. Worldwide; we're all on this together. Thailand is just a microcosm of a grander and greater disease that hangs about the shoulders of this old blue ball. Make ready men of conscience for we wade soon into the final fray. The end is upon us and the battle has been enjoined.

Have a great day!!!

Hysterical much?

• Like 1

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. Thailand was no more a gentle, crime free safe haven for female tourists in 2000 than it is now. Look at the Kirsty Jones case, for example.

As I and many of my friends who came over at that time remember crimes against tourists were few and far between. Had a tour driver from my hotel in Pratunam take me around BKK buying stuff. Stopped to park to take a boat trip to floating market, as we walked away from the car I said I have a lot of stuff in back seat of the car you forgot to lock it. He said Oh no one will bother----and no one did was still there when we got back a few hours later. Would not think about doing that now. Even watch my back when carrying stuff or getting into car now.

• Like 1

Were these guys too stupid to run or what.

Actually, they did run and hide in the soi right outside my window, but they were spotted and caught.

Apparently a taxi driver spotted what was happening and the 7/11 around the corner called the police. They arrived pretty quickly.

I did hear the screams when all this happened, but I assumed it was the <deleted> in the flat above who had been arguing with his girlfriend all evening. (at least he wasn't moving furniture at 4am that day..)

But, but, Thais would not do this! ;)

Stayed in Samsen 6 for many years and no trouble walking to or from KSR at any hour. More recently prefer to stay in Rambuttri St but when there earlier this year (before and after the curfew was lifted) was surprised at how empty the streets were and would not have fancied walking up Samsen late at night.