Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

OPG,You are right in what you say.It has always been dangerous for thai ladys.But before you came,Thai women worshipped women tourists.They kept them safe,And thai men,would not bother them,Because they would be in deep shit ,Attitude ,has become so bad,I have asked many thai ladys ,why thailand not same,There answer is,Thai have big money now,We came here because it was cheap,and they could not do enough for us,Now i go in a bar,All they think about ,Is how to rip me off.And that is all over thailand.Even in the sticks.The good old days are gone,and there not comming back.People ask me about thailand.There first words are.I thought it was cheap.

Back when I was single in BKK, I knew some girls and all of these attempted and successful rapes etc... brought back memories of how these girls protected themselves. They would almost never take a taxi if they did not personally know the driver and pay the driver(s) they used most often extra money to make sure they got where they were going...waited or came back to pick them up and to make sure they got home safely. This is back in the day, but I'm certain their safety tactics more than likely have not changed as they know how dangerous it is for a girl to be out alone. For men, it can be safe if you know what not to do, but there's a lot of quality tourists that come here thinking they are the King of the world because they make more money than others and stir up problems with excessive drinking and for the life of me I don't understand, but fighting over a working girl like she's the only fish in the sea etc...which promotes hatred from Thai Girls and the men they pay for protection and then you have the males who can have a good time, but understand the do's and don'ts of Thailand who are generally safe most of the time. It basically all comes down to knowing what and what not to do in Thailand, but in the 9 years I've been here, I've started to see big changes. I feel unsafe and many thoughts about moving have been running through my head lately and I really hate this. I found my paradise and felt at home; now the paradise I found is disappearing quickly and I don't feel at home any longer and thoughts of protecting my wife and daughter make me think it's better to move.

Thailand is becoming something awful and if the Thai Government wants to keep the slogan the "Land of Smiles", they'll have to go through the "Land of No-Tourists" until they can successfully tackle everything that Thailand has become and make sure that they can attract quality tourists in the future.

Are you sure that it's Thailand that has changed, and not just your perception of it?

My perception has definitely changed, but it's all due to the changes occurring in Thailand! You won't be able to get me on this...when I came to Thailand, I finally felt at home, but you would have to be blind to not see Thailand changing for the worst over these last 9 years, which is why like you said, my perception has began to change, but not for the reason you think...it's for obvious reasons that you seem to be blinded by.

The world is really changing for the worse. As it has always been since the beginning of time. Kids have no respect these days and that respect level has been diminishing since at least the dawn of writing. I got you on this one, gramps.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True. But if you look at the statistics, rape and murder is much more prevalent here (although gun crime is really quite bad in the USA, that's the exception rather than the rule for western countries). Fact.

Couldn't resist turning this story into an America bashing one could you?

Off topic, yes, but not US bashing; more like simple statement of fact. However, the US is not the worst--check-out the gun violence and gun homicide statements below:

“The dubious distinction of having the most gun violence goes to Honduras, at 68.43 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people, even though it only has 6.2 firearms per 100 people. Other parts of South America and South Africa also rank highly, while the United States is somewhere near the mid-range. Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/schoo-shooting-how-do-u-s-gun-homicides-compare-with-the-rest-of-the-world

“The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people. But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people”

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

1. So if you define LatAm as western countries, than USA is mid range.

2. USA does not have the highest gun ownership rate in the world. You are quoting the wrong statistics. That is the number of firearms per person. It's not the ownership rate. In the US only half (about 47%) of households own a firearm.

So yes, you are bashing America with misleading statistics on a topic not even relevent to this one which is about Robbery and Rape in Thailand.

True. But if you look at the statistics, rape and murder is much more prevalent here (although gun crime is really quite bad in the USA, that's the exception rather than the rule for western countries). Fact.

Couldn't resist turning this story into an America bashing one could you?

Off topic, yes, but not US bashing; more like simple statement of fact. However, the US is not the worst--check-out the gun violence and gun homicide statements below:

“The dubious distinction of having the most gun violence goes to Honduras, at 68.43 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people, even though it only has 6.2 firearms per 100 people. Other parts of South America and South Africa also rank highly, while the United States is somewhere near the mid-range. Still, America sees far more gun violence than countries in Europe, and Canada, India and Australia, which is perhaps how it gets its bloody reputation among comparatively peaceful nations.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/schoo-shooting-how-do-u-s-gun-homicides-compare-with-the-rest-of-the-world

“The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people. But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people”

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

1. So if you define LatAm as western countries, than USA is mid range.

2. USA does not have the highest gun ownership rate in the world. You are quoting the wrong statistics. That is the number of firearms per person. It's not the ownership rate. In the US only half (about 47%) of households own a firearm.

So yes, you are bashing America with misleading statistics on a topic not even relevent to this one which is about Robbery and Rape in Thailand.

Only the finest quality tourists should now come who are wealthy enough to afford armoured cars and off duty Thai special forces as body guards (would you trust off duty police?) and whose womenfolk are old and ugly enough to wear bikinis safely.

Sorry, but I have to say that some tourist people are stupid.

A woman walking alone 2 AM in Bangkok downtown?.....Surprised that she was attacked? She got lucky was not murdered.

I myself will not walk alone near Khaosan Roas again. I did only one time because the special bus from Chiang Mai arrived there 4 AM...I was lucky I was not assaulted when looking to reach my hotel.I was really afraid and nervous walking there...and I got into a 7/11 to wait for daylight.

What 's going on with farangs on this site? Are they aware that practically ANY big city in the world is dangerous at those hours???? ..and in particularly spots like Khaosan Road??? New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Rome, Paris, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Cali, Lima, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Manila, Jakarta, Bali, London, Istanbul, Jerusalem, and most the South American, Middle East, and African countries.....I can go on full page with city names .....Most good hotels in those cities advise tourist about safety rules...

If you think that tourism in Thailand will stop because some tragic violent acts....you are wrong. Will young people stop going to American schools because some weird guy ransom killed teachers and students? That happens EVERY year in the US....probably the only country where students needs to pass metal scanners before entering schools...Will mothers stop taking its children to markets and parks in the US because weird guys are looking for the opportunity to kidnap, rape, and kill, children and teenagers. That happens EVERY year in the US..probably the only country that an strange cannot talk or be even close to a child without rising suspicions, and mothers have to keep their children "on leach" everywhere they go.

Thailand it is a very safe country comparing with most in this world....No country is safe is you are in the wrong place, and in the wrong time..and specially, around the wrong people.

"other "countries have punishments for this, often here its almost nothing.

Tell us something that 99% of the population of the world dont know,Did you not know that this site is for comments and advice about thailand,For general tourists that either live or holiday there.The change in thailands attitude towards us ,becomes worse more and more every year,Thailand has been built on tourism,

YES US,,If not for us,thailand would still be in the middle ages,,We used to get respect ,..,We are not here to compare other countrys

Oh "really Thanks for enlightening me, I thought it was a forum for crochet, dang gone n done it again eh

Thailand isnt in the middle ages?? even mentally?

Thailand is wrongly sold as paradise where it's totally safe to do anything you want, but that is not true.

It is? Who by?

TAT -TIT

So show us this mythical TAT campaign where Thailand is claimed to be a totally safe paradise where you can do whatever you like with no consequences.

Thailand is a wondrous kingdom, featuring Buddhist temples, exotic wildlife, and spectacular islands. Along with a fascinating history and a unique culture that includes delectable Thai food and massage, Thailand features a modern capital city, and friendly people who epitomize Thailand’s “land of smiles” reputation.

Some people may worry about their health in Thailand or about Thailand safety, but Thailand is a very safe country, generally free of crime and most dangerous diseases. Regardless, travelers should take standard precautions. Avoid walking alone at night in remote areas and keep tabs on your valuables (such as your wallet or camera) when in crowded public areas.

Lifted straight of Tat site....now is Khao san Road a "remote area"

"Police say they arrested Surasak and Chuen Wamakhan, an accomplice who was allegedly serving as a lookout, shortly after the tourist filed a complaint."

This reinforces my opinion that, the flatfoots generally know what's going on and can apprehend the maggots if compelled... wai2.gifwai.gif

A police colonel once told me the same thing: Don't think for one minute we don't know exactly what is going on everywhere and by whom. Whether or not we choose to do anything about it is our affair. We are not as stupid as people think...
Doing nothing if the culprit is known by the police is very stupid.

guess what i don,t drink booze. something wrong with common sense ? people need to take some responsibility fot their actions. Wandering aroun d a foreign city like Bangkok at that hour is only asking for trouble. guess you don,t get that do you?

Having some common sense maybe ?

A disgusting story. Luckily she survived.
The issue is that most tourists don't know what really happens in cities they visit.
If they did, I think they would be on their guard.
How many tourists read this forum ?
How can we help them avoid rape, robbery etc ?

Fail fail fail, drunk uncle Jungle Jim

Why do some here think this kind of this has just started to happen? I just read about three British women beaten up in a Bangkok hotel in April. One needed two operations.

Anyone remember the middle aged woman a few years ago who died after scooter punks dragged her along the road trying to steal her bag?

Just read some weeks ago that Thais never hit and rape foreign women, the French girl is lucky to be alive. Good work from RTP this time, no Burmese workers arrested.

If I see the Burmese "joke" one more time, I am going to kill someone myself!!bah.gif

FYI , this is done by the "red..." to make Thailand look bad in every which way they can try to make it. You'll see more crimes done against tourist people coming here, stayed tune.

Just what this thread needed!! Political nonsense!!bah.gif

The way the present government are handling current affairs, the don't need any "help" !

Just read some weeks ago that Thais never hit and rape foreign women, the French girl is lucky to be alive. Good work from RTP this time, no Burmese workers arrested.

If I see the Burmese "joke" one more time, I am going to kill someone myself!!bah.gif

What would be your method of choice?

- Jump off a balcony

- Hanging

- Repeatedly stabbing yourself, with your hands tied behind your back.

(just to continue with the puns giggle.gif )

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree....I doubt that other countries have young Thai men bashing French tourists over the head with bricks, robbing them and trying to rape them! I think that's specific to Thailand....but I may be wrong....?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Yap..you are wrong. What you will do if walking alone in Rio de Janeiro in some places like the many desert beaches, and every 50 meters a young boy will ask you for a "donation"? Probably you will say no. How about if the kid said "Sr...I am asking now....will better if I show you my knife?"...Probably you will run to your hotel.....after "donating" all your goods..even your nice tennis shoes.

Rio de Janeiro tourism increases every year....

When my first taxi driver robbed me going from Airport to Hotel in Rio, I was traumatised. The next morning, I was angry and bewildered after being dropped at Copacabana less a second wallet.

On the way back to the hotel, I explained to the third taxi driver holding a knife in 24 hrs how to do his job. "You can't mug the mugged", I explained with a sneer. But it turns out, you can by taking them to an ATM.

Ridiculous city. I don't know why anyone goes there. Maybe no one goes twice.

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree....I doubt that other countries have young Thai men bashing French tourists over the head with bricks, robbing them and trying to rape them! I think that's specific to Thailand....but I may be wrong....?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Yap..you are wrong. What you will do if walking alone in Rio de Janeiro in some places like the many desert beaches, and every 50 meters a young boy will ask you for a "donation"? Probably you will say no. How about if the kid said "Sr...I am asking now....will better if I show you my knife?"...Probably you will run to your hotel.....after "donating" all your goods..even your nice tennis shoes.

Rio de Janeiro tourism increases every year....

When my first taxi driver robbed me going from Airport to Hotel in Rio, I was traumatised. The next morning, I was angry and bewildered after being dropped at Copacabana less a second wallet.

On the way back to the hotel, I explained to the third taxi driver holding a knife in 24 hrs how to do his job. "You can't mug the mugged", I explained with a sneer. But it turns out, you can by taking them to an ATM.

Ridiculous city. I don't know why anyone goes there. Maybe no one goes twice.

And I loved Rio....funny ol' subjective world isn't it? BTW Classic narrative cheered me right up :-

I don't know where some of you guys are from that one robbery turns a city into a hellish crimescape that nobody will ever want to visit. Back in London pretty much everybody I knew had been robbed at some point. Stabbings were so commonplace that they barely made the news. Hell, we even had several days of widespread rioting. Terrorist attacks on the underground. Yet last year, London attracted a record-breaking number of tourists.

I think Thailand will probably be ok.

• Like 2

Back in the mid to late 90s I was in Cali, Colombia. One local who knew the city like the back of hand, advised me.

"Don't cross that bridge (about 200m long), they'll kill you for those trainers (years old and scruffy). Stay this side"

I first visited Thailand in 99, so I can't know if the 'paradise lost' that veterans lament as happening is true or not.

All I can say is that the first time I visited, the advise was to be vigilant for all sorts of reasons, and I have done ever since.

Has anyone made hysterical predictions yet about tourist numbers plummeting when the news gets out and the whole country subsequently becoming bankrupt?

Chinese proverb: losing customers is like losing hair, first you don't notice, then you think it's just a few and it will stop by itself, and by the time you notice the first bald spots it is too late, there is a sad difference though, when you have lost lots of your hair you can wear a wig, but this does not work to replace your lost customers... wai2.gif You should transmit this to TAT wai.gif

True. But I have a feeling TAT will not understand the analogy...

• Like 1

Thailand will be just fine. Millions of morons arrive yearly. If Ebola was in every city they would keep coming for the cheap booze and bar girls.

I don't know where some of you guys are from that one robbery turns a city into a hellish crimescape that nobody will ever want to visit. Back in London pretty much everybody I knew had been robbed at some point. Stabbings were so commonplace that they barely made the news. Hell, we even had several days of widespread rioting. Terrorist attacks on the underground. Yet last year, London attracted a record-breaking number of tourists.

I think Thailand will probably be ok.

Ok... That does it...

A week or so ago I was robbed of my phone at Soi rambuttri near the small soi leading to pinklao bridge (near thr infien restaurant st the corner) by 3 cambodian khmers, only to get a bottle crushed over my eye and nose (was very lucky though and got away with nothing more than some nose bleed and a bruise).

Anyway, that's not the point. In this case they fidnt attack us from behind and we could as welljust accepted the fact that the phone was gone. But drunk and stupid i asked for it back and we even started follow them into the small soi when they left, pretending to call a military friend speaking thai. So yea.. I kind of asked for it... they only hit and run, underdtandable... So although i hate theft I dont really hate them, more hste my own stupidity at 3 am... But i guess one day in life has to be the first to get a turn to learn some lesson...

What does it is the news here. Im out... There is so much crap going on, and honestly I prefer to live my everyday life not knowing all bad stuff that happens. After 8 years here I have never had any incident except this one, and i feel partly guilty for it to occur in the firdt place.

So if being a little street smart, and follow thai-friends tips of taking a ride back home instead of walking in dark alleys (especially along samsen that is known for yaba sellers and yaba smoking ladyboys and prostitution hotels...).

The news makes me feel worse about the whole country than is the fact. It was just the same in Sweden.

When i lived in norway i didnt read the news. But norwegian friends told me how good and safe sweden seemed compared to all bad stuff they heard on daily basis..

Sometimes ignorance is truly bliss. No reason to be scared here, only cautious as everywhere else. And life will be way more enjoyable....

Actually, Spain have used a pretty similar slogan -

smile-you-are-in-spain.jpg

Not the same. It's true that the people saying LOS means do what you want, no danger etc, this poster is about the smiles on tourists because they're having fun. LOS is saying the locals are smiling at you, the visitor, implying good will towards the visitors; which good will doesn't really jive with the proliferating scams, pretty much complete lack or police protection for tourists (see Koh Tao), and general fleece-'em-while-they're-here mnetality that prevades the tourist industry. A pretty obvious and important distinction, actually.

After decades coming here I've had to ferret out and only deal with certain operators I pretty sure I can trust (even to just give me the promised value for my baht, never mind not completely rip me off), not that those are the only trustworthy ones.

Actually, Spain have used a pretty similar slogan -

smile-you-are-in-spain.jpg

Not the same. It's true that the people saying LOS means do what you want, no danger etc, this poster is about the smiles on tourists because they're having fun. LOS is saying the locals are smiling at you, the visitor, implying good will towards the visitors; which good will doesn't really jive with the proliferating scams, pretty much complete lack or police protection for tourists (see Koh Tao), and general fleece-'em-while-they're-here mnetality that prevades the tourist industry. A pretty obvious and important distinction, actually.

After many years coming here I've had to ferret out and only deal with certain operators I pretty sure I can trust (even to just give me the promised value for my baht, never mind not completely rip me off), not that those are the only trustworthy ones.

Who by?

Thailand is a place where some people think they can do anything they want, reasonably safely. Thailand is sold as a paradise, but so are many other countries.

TAT.

In a similar way to how Jamaica is marketed, another beautiful country which would probably fit many peoples idea of paradise. Far more dodgy & unsafe than Thailand though.

Indeed. It's not the only country that's become like this, and not the worst by any measure, but it is trending in a bad direction these years.

The "but it's not as bad as...." argument is so common and so silly, who thinks 2 or 100 wrongs make a right?

Do make sure first it's not a Shin supportercheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif