Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

typical he gets involved with a bar girl what did he expect.

"This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores"

So, if you're a Brit you are 16 times more likely to be killed here than elsewhere. To those who say it's the same everywhere, it's obviously not.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/with-so-many-britons-murdered-in-thailand-why-does-our-government-not-warn-of-the-dangers-faced-there-769640.html

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been living in Bangkok on & off since 2000, I use to feel safe walking home at 1 or 2 am. No longer do I feel safe being out at 11pm. Drug crimes are on the rise & turn seemingly nice people into monsters whether they're Thai or ex pats. Research shows most Thais convicted of crimes are high on drugs, the sex thing is an after thought.

Thailand is no safer than anywhere else. But no common sense does not help either. Tourists need to take some responsibility for their actions. Walk around drunk, at 3 am, half naked, flashing cash, no research before hand alone, does not help matters.

Most tourists coming to Thailand know that its not safe to walk the streets alone and once this story gets published abroad that will give tourists more information with regards how safe Thailand really is, but we cant take away the police speed at arresting the alleged perpetrators well done to the BIB possibly if they were more visible on the streets as a deterrent this type of incident might not happen so often in Thailands tourist hot spots.A lot of bad people in the world and Thailand seems to have its fair share of them.

Most tourists coming to Thailand know that its not safe to walk the streets alone and once this story gets published abroad that will give tourists more information with regards how safe Thailand really is, but we cant take away the police speed at arresting the alleged perpetrators well done to the BIB possibly if they were more visible on the streets as a deterrent this type of incident might not happen so often in Thailands tourist hot spots.A lot of bad people in the world and Thailand seems to have its fair share of them.

Lucky for the Burmese in the area that the victim survived and was able to identify the perps. Otherwise a couple of them would probably be sitting in the cop shop with plastic bags over their heads.

It must take a particular type of macho male to enjoy raping a woman that he has just bashed over the head with a brick or even killed.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

nice you mentioned expats. lots of foreign criminals hiding here also.

I've been living in Bangkok on & off since 2000, I use to feel safe walking home at 1 or 2 am. No longer do I feel safe being out at 11pm. Drug crimes are on the rise & turn seemingly nice people into monsters whether they're Thai or ex pats. Research shows most Thais convicted of crimes are high on drugs, the sex thing is an after thought.

common sense here is greatly lacking both male and female. Just read the Pattaya paper on any given day as to how many dumb foreigners are walking around with gold chains , drunk, flashing cash at 3 am. Then wonder why later that they were robbed. It is called BRAINLESS.

2.30am on a weekday, crime can happen in any major city, not that it is good or acceptable but you cannot be too hard on Thailand as it happens in the developed countries the same. What should presumably an attractive female be walking around on her own. Some might say my comment is sexist but it is common sense for ladies to have company late at night. I would make sure I did if I was a lady.

1. More and more Thais unemployed

Like I said above, Thailand has pretty much the lowest rate of unemployment in the world.

Lets try to stick to reality, not make things up.

I do not make things up.... Let's go back to the real world...

There's a BIG difference between real unemployment and official figures...

Taking into account the poor unemployment benefits and the conditions to get them here in Thailand, do you really believe that every jobless person is registered and counted as unemployed?

To illustrate my words, 2 examples:

1. When in the UK on a 6-figure package I've been made redundant. I didn't register because the unemployment benefits were around GBP300 a month. And, lots of my friends in the same situation did the same.

2. However, earlier in my career in continental Europe, I did register because I got 80% of my gross salary and could get this kind of money for up to 24 months (BTW, I knew that my "in between jobs period" will be just 4 months...).

So, who does stick to the reality here?

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Like 1

Tourists are so naive when they come here. How can someone mesmerize you with a smile one minute and take you for everything you have the next? It's so sad to see it in the news everyday.

Tourists... never go out in a group of friends less than three.

What's sad to read is your ignorant post. I see you like to blame the victim, so let me put it to you simply. Walking home late at night is not a crime. However, attempted rape and robbery is a crime. Now go back to your bottle. (glug...glug..glug)

"This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores"

So, if you're a Brit you are 16 times more likely to be killed here than elsewhere. To those who say it's the same everywhere, it's obviously not.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/with-so-many-britons-murdered-in-thailand-why-does-our-government-not-warn-of-the-dangers-faced-there-769640.html

Same stats for Australians travelling in Thailand too.

If the figures don't fit your pre-conceived ideas, then just disregard the figures?

Some of you guys are pretty far-removed from reality.

Are you that thick??? I can't believe it!! Remove your pink-tinted glasses :-))

• Like 1

Tourists are so naive when they come here. How can someone mesmerize you with a smile one minute and take you for everything you have the next? It's so sad to see it in the news everyday.

What's sad to read is your ignorant post. I see you like to blame the victim, so let me put it to you simply. Walking home late at night is not a crime. However, attempted rape and robbery is a crime. Now go back to your bottle. (glug...glug..glug)

Any chance you are one of those bitter, mean-spirited drunks?

If the figures don't fit your pre-conceived ideas, then just disregard the figures?

I see no reason to disbelieve the multiple sources that state thailand's low unemployment rate.

You can insult me as much as you like. It doesn't change the facts.

I see no reason to disbelieve the multiple sources that state thailand's low unemployment rate.

May be you believe in Thai Tourism stats as well :-)) :-)) :-))

May be you believe in Thai Tourism stats as well :-)) :-)) :-))

Just curious to know where you learnt Economics :-)

I don't know what you're all worrying about. There's considerably less crime here than there was 10 years ago.

Really. I mean, I know the stats might say otherwise. But we're not worried about that sort of thing here at Thaivisa, are we?

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

A good reason not to go to those other cities, it is not that it dont happen all over the world, it is the fact that half the time the BIB don't do enough to stop it, hence the reason why many Thai women don't report it

I don't know what you're all worrying about. There's considerably less crime here than there was 10 years ago.

Really. I mean, I know the stats might say otherwise. But we're not worried about that sort of thing here at Thaivisa, are we?

Says who

the victim does need to take some responsibility . i would not be walking around any major city that late at night. it is only asking foir trouble. no different than if your were drunk with gold chains around your neck. it just shows a lack of common sense.

• Like 1

A disgusting story. Luckily she survived.

The issue is that most tourists don't know what really happens in cities they visit.

If they did, I think they would be on their guard.

How many tourists read this forum ?

How can we help them avoid rape, robbery etc ?

Having some common sense maybe ?

The issue is that most tourists don't know what really happens in cities they visit.

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head--there is the Thailand experienced by us guys and the other one experienced by females.

To really hit the nail on the head, you should replace 'the Thailand' with 'the world'.

Having some common sense maybe ?

Fail fail fail, drunk uncle Jungle Jim

Says who

Says me. Apparently we can make up whatever we like without recourse to any facts.

Back when I was single in BKK, I knew some girls and all of these attempted and successful rapes etc... brought back memories of how these girls protected themselves. They would almost never take a taxi if they did not personally know the driver and pay the driver(s) they used most often extra money to make sure they got where they were going...waited or came back to pick them up and to make sure they got home safely. This is back in the day, but I'm certain their safety tactics more than likely have not changed as they know how dangerous it is for a girl to be out alone. For men, it can be safe if you know what not to do, but there's a lot of quality tourists that come here thinking they are the King of the world because they make more money than others and stir up problems with excessive drinking and for the life of me I don't understand, but fighting over a working girl like she's the only fish in the sea etc...which promotes hatred from Thai Girls and the men they pay for protection and then you have the males who can have a good time, but understand the do's and don'ts of Thailand who are generally safe most of the time. It basically all comes down to knowing what and what not to do in Thailand, but in the 9 years I've been here, I've started to see big changes. I feel unsafe and many thoughts about moving have been running through my head lately and I really hate this. I found my paradise and felt at home; now the paradise I found is disappearing quickly and I don't feel at home any longer and thoughts of protecting my wife and daughter make me think it's better to move.

Thailand is becoming something awful and if the Thai Government wants to keep the slogan the "Land of Smiles", they'll have to go through the "Land of No-Tourists" until they can successfully tackle everything that Thailand has become and make sure that they can attract quality tourists in the future.

Are you sure that it's Thailand that has changed, and not just your perception of it?

My perception has definitely changed, but it's all due to the changes occurring in Thailand! You won't be able to get me on this...when I came to Thailand, I finally felt at home, but you would have to be blind to not see Thailand changing for the worst over these last 9 years, which is why like you said, my perception has began to change, but not for the reason you think...it's for obvious reasons that you seem to be blinded by.

The world is really changing for the worse. As it has always been since the beginning of time. Kids have no respect these days and that respect level has been diminishing since at least the dawn of writing. I got you on this one, gramps.

• Like 1

We dont talk like it has not happend before,,Most of us on here,are now pissed of with thailand,We came here 30 years ago,when they had nothing,As a tourist then,You were safe,and the smiles were true,I tell people now ,TO STAY AWAY,There is nothing good to talk about thailand any more,And now thailand is trying to show the world that they are trying to change ,They dont give a shit,About you me or anybody else,MONEY number 1,,And there loosing it by the billions,,Thats why these crimes are being reported more,They only report what suits them,

You say you don't talk like this didn't happen in the past - and then in the very same sentence claim that tourists were safe here 30 years ago?

Hilarious.

Are you a total moron.Do you not understand what i said,Crime has always happend,But not to the extent it is today,There attitude has changed big style over the last ten years,have you come to thailand for many years,,It seams that you have not been here very long...Up to last year ,i virtualy lived in thailand, ,But i have to come back for private reasons.But only stay as long as nessesary.There are at least 200 faces that i do not see anymore.They go else were,

• Like 1

We dont talk like it has not happend before,,Most of us on here,are now pissed of with thailand,We came here 30 years ago,when they had nothing,As a tourist then,You were safe,and the smiles were true,I tell people now ,TO STAY AWAY,There is nothing good to talk about thailand any more,And now thailand is trying to show the world that they are trying to change ,They dont give a shit,About you me or anybody else,MONEY number 1,,And there loosing it by the billions,,Thats why these crimes are being reported more,They only report what suits them,

You say you don't talk like this didn't happen in the past - and then in the very same sentence claim that tourists were safe here 30 years ago?

Hilarious.

Are you a total moron.Do you not understand what i said,Crime has always happend,But not to the extent it is today,There attitude has changed big style over the last ten years,have you come to thailand for many years,,It seams that you have not been here very long...Up to last year ,i virtualy lived in thailand, ,But i have to come back for private reasons.But only stay as long as nessesary.There are at least 200 faces that i do not see anymore.They go else were,

Well, I actually live here rather than virtually live here, and I've been visiting for about 15 years.

But lets not get into a dick waving contest. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No need to call people names.

TAT will be happy about this. Tourist numbers will further decrease. Thailand is becoming more and more a dangerous place, time to go elsewhere.

And here's another outstanding tourism promotion story for TAT only now coming out several months after the event. Three young British women savagely assaulted in their hotel room on their first night in Thailand several months ago. All three suffered serious facial injuries requiring hospital and dental treatment. Two were knocked unconscious and one had a broken jaw. The police haven't arrested anyone for the assault - no Burmese handy or what? - and the story didn't make local or British media, except when one of the victim's UK insurance company tried to chisel her on her insurance claim.

Search in google for 'megan ogden attacked thailand' and you will find some links to articles.

Thailand has certainly become a dangerous place for tourists, particularly young females and what we see reported in the news is only the tip of the iceberg, as police are clearly instructed to keep all crime against tourists out of the media, if at all possible.

Edited by Dogmatix